Switch advice

Moomz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a pj at the moment and am considering doing a bit of rewiring etc while I'm at it.

I'm currently looking for the ideal setup but can't work out which is the best way to do it.
TV%20setup.png

This is as far as I have got, but the biggest issue for me is that if I want to watch Sky in the bedroom, the Onkyo will need to be on downstairs! I know I could wire this directly into the matrix, but then I wouldn't be able to take advantage of my surround sound. Also, am worried about remote control issues.

Maybe I should consider having the matrix output into the Onkyo and have a separate switch to split between the 2 lounge TVs (taking the 4th TV out of the equation altogether).

TV%20setup%202.png

Unless anyone has any better ideas..?? :lease:

Try this for images: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/12172100/1/TV%20setup?h=96b21a

Last edited:
SKY+ HD only carries 2.0 LPCM Stereo audio on its HDMI Output so other than an Optical cable (to carry DD 5.1) there is no need for the SKY box to go via the AVR.

It’s also worth noting that the signal arriving at your TV’s via HDMI will need to be Video + 2.0 LPCM Stereo audio unless your TV’s can cater for 5.1 via HDMI – most don’t!!!

Often you’ll end up with your ‘distributed’ Sources (set to Video + 2.0 LPCM via HDMI + DD/DTS 5.1 via Optical/Coaxial) going direct to the Matrix (via HDMI) plus Optical/Coaxial direct to the AVR and not have the AVR in the HDMI signal path.

Joe

Thanks for the reply. Is this a better setup then (black lines are optical/coaxil cables)? I'm a little confused about how I can get the signal arriving at my TVs to be 2.0. Does this not get dealt with automatically by the matrix switch. Is there a work around that doesn't require me to manually change the setting..?

TV%20setup%203.png

Last edited:
Most Sources will auto default to video + 2.0 LPCM once they are wired to the Matrix – some (PS3, Acer, Xbox, Apple) will require you to manually configure them to also deliver 5.1 DD/DTS via Optical or Coaxial.

With the connectivity as per your plan you will only require to optimise settings at the initial setup stage – once set they will stay set.

There are various configurations you could ‘tweek’ dependent on which Sources you want/need to be whole house and which are most applicable to the main ‘Cinema’ room.

Joe

Most Sources will auto default to video + 2.0 LPCM once they are wired to the Matrix – some (PS3, Acer, Xbox, Apple) will require you to manually configure them to also deliver 5.1 DD/DTS via Optical or Coaxial.

With the connectivity as per your plan you will only require to optimise settings at the initial setup stage – once set they will stay set.

There are various configurations you could ‘tweek’ dependent on which Sources you want/need to be whole house and which are most applicable to the main ‘Cinema’ room.

Joe
Is the 4x4 switch the one I should go for then? Can you recommend one? What about remote controls etc?? Is there anything else I need to consider?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions but this is new to me..

Can anyone recommend a 4x4 matrix?

Most Matrix manufacturers will give you the option to purchase additional remotes for the Matrix so you can have one remote per zone – along with a remote for each Source in the relevant zones.

Alternatively you may want to consider a programmable remote in each zone to control the matrix plus your source devices.

4x4 HDMI Ethernet Cat 5/6 Matrix switch. 3D support. Route 4 HD video sources to 4 HD displays. Switch 256 combinations over HDMI or Cat 5/6 Ethernet cables

Joe
Will this not do the trick

4x4 HDMI Matrix Switcher (High Speed with 3D support) - HKM44-UK

Hi there,

Thank you for considering our 4x4 product.

It is worth noting that it has IR passback over the HDMI cables.

Something completely exclusive to our range of matrix units and HDCable.

Many Thanks

Jamie

HDCable Customer Services

Hi,

Just to clarify, does that mean I could use my sky remote in one of the other rooms without the need for a sky magic eye?

Hi,

I have now completed my setup using one of these

4x4 HDMI Matrix Switcher (High Speed with 3D support) - HKM44-UK

My installer has run cat 5 cable for the longer runs with baluns on either side. I am having a few problems though. Firstly, whenever I light is switched on in the house, the screens where the cat 5s have been used seem to cut out. Would plugging them into a surge protector solve the problem or should I replace them?

Also, (this may be a related problem) - Sometimes when I am watching my projector (direct HDMI lead), the TV comes on (direct HDMI lead) randomly and then switches itself off again causing the matrix to cut out for a few seconds. Any thoughts?

Apart from these issues, which I hope are solvable, I am very pleased with my setup!

Surge protector – doubtful it’ll help out!

Replace them – the CAT5 cables, the HDMI cables, the HDMI Receiver units or the TV’s?

Joe

Replace the HDMI receiver units I guess..

Replacing the installed HDMI over Twisted Pair Transmitter and Receiver for another brand/design may solve the ‘drop out’ problem – though the TV coming on/off on its own is an odd one.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom