1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swimming Pools

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Solomon Grundy, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,407
    Does anyone have a swimming pool? I am interested in knowing how much they cost to build and maintain in real life rather than what a website tells you it will cost...it would be a heated indoor pool rather than an outdoor pool. cheers...

2. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There are a huge number of variables on this. An outdoor pool with normal tiling and equipment will cost about £750 to run per year, including £150-200 of chemicals. That would be for a 7x3.5 metre pool. However, spending a little extra on install could buy you some heat reflective tiling and polystyrene insulation. This could lower your yearly cost to just above £500 for the same size pool. This is using a gas boiler and using a cover when the pool is not in use. An electric heater would cost about £50 a year more to run, though that is changing with changing prices. A heat pump would be less to run, perhaps £450 a year without the heat reflective equipment. Solar is free but has a high outlay and not guaranteed so would need to buy another heater aswell....

As far as installs it can vary between £6000-7000 and £25000 depending on the builders and equipment used.

Hope that helped a little....

3. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,407
    yes, a big help thanks...would a high water table make any difference to the building costs?

4. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    given this countries weather...make it a covered pool :D

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It would affect the pricing a little, though depending on how much of the project you do yourself will affect how much difference it makes. Might be a good idea to have a search on google, fire off the same email to a couple of different companies and see how they each respond...

6. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    in a mad moment i bought a second hand panel liner kit of ebay local - took 24hrs with two of us to get it out of the ground, two days to dig the hole and now i'm spending my time staring at a large hole in the garden !!!!:oops:

7. andyrj1

andyrj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes we had a 30ft by 14 ft pool filled it in last year cost a fortune to run never again

8. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,407
    How much rougly? I plumped for an extension to add another bedroom rather than a swimming pool but there's still plenty of room for a pool (unless I go for another extension).

9. andyrj1

andyrj1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ours was indoor we have turned it into a small bungalow now instead.

It was heated by gas and we got it quite cheap as we used enough to get a commercial rate cost was approx £1700 a year but that was 5 years ago so would be more now although there might be better boilers available now.

Add on the cost of all the other stuff as well.

We used to use ours a lot to start with then it hardly got used its like everything else a novelty to start with.

If you really want one go ahead we just found it a pain It is actually still there we put concrete beams over it and it is now a good place to put boxes and i would like to put a model railway in there at some point.

10. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Mine a cash cow.

I'm hoping that we can save on a few holidays to cover running costs.

Also got a surrey dome that totally encloses pool for "off season" use.

Got alot of measuring, and concrete mixing this weekend to get roman end and first four panels in - then it starts to fall to the deep end - that's when the fun will start - hole is over 9ft deep that end :eek:

Pick of what it "did" look like attached

Attached Files:

11. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    If you do go ahead then look into "salt" pools. They are big in US and here in Oz.

My OH son has outdoor pool in UK and is looking to convert this year. Talking to pool co, they're not popular in UK but they can do them.
    They are much nicer to swim in and cheaper on chemicals.

Also theirs has a heat pump and its plenty warm enough (outdoors) - especially if coupled with a thermal blanket (thick coloured bubble wrap!).

I;pve got one here in Aus as house had it - would I have buolt one? No - a lot of cost and hassle. But if you have young kids who will play in it then maybe. If its for swimming you can get swim spa's where you swim against a jet pump.

12. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +755
    we had two in different houses a few years back

NEVER get on outside pool in the UK, we have such bad weather and often when its sunny there's a cool wind which cuts through you when you get out of the water.

They cost a fortune to keep heated then so I dread to think how much now in the UK.

If you can get one in a consevatory type building and maybe have some sort of solar system to booster the heating there probably ok in the uk

cleaning's a few hours a week and the chemicals etc dont cost fortunes.

13. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Get a Creepy Crawly or similar and spend minutes cleaning

14. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    Strange, but true. I'vealways thought I wouldn't buy a swimming pool if I won the lottery.

Every public swimming pool is required by law to havea lifeguard. Why? Because they're dangerous.

The temptation to go swimming on your own, with no one else in the house, would be too large to withstand. And you're always hearing of people being found dead in their pools.

:rolleyes:

Steve W