Swimming...how tired should I feel? UPDATED-12 months on

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by gangzoom, Aug 22, 2013.

1. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    In the process of learning to swim, can just about float now and go forwards in the pool using front crawl, not really mastered breathing yet, so can only 'swim' for 1-2 breath holds but getting better.

I'm reasonably fit, on a pedal bike I can ride for 50-60 miles at a decent pace (18 mph average) over a fair number of climbs without a break with no problems, but yet after going to the pool x3 times this week, for 30-40 minute sessions I now just feel tired/weak. No specific muscle groups are hurting/sore, just feel tired.

I always wondered why professional swimmers always look so fat free now I know why....hopefully as my body gets use to it I'll get less tired, but for those people that can actually swim, how tired do you get after a session in the pool??

Planning on going back again tomorrow, determined to get this swimming business sorted by the end of August :laugh:

2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,431
    You're doing a completely different sport. "Delayed Drowning" is far more strenuous than swimming will ever be. It's a niche sport though and swimmers don't seem to get why us drowners put so much more effort into our sport than they do. :D

3. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Delayed Drowning is defiantly a hard sport to train for...really feeling it in my legs and arms / body today. At least whilst at the pool I can make by far the biggest splashes/noise, despite not really moving very much :laugh:

4. hodgey66

hodgey66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    i think 40 minutes is a long time, unless thats including a few breaks? If you set yourself targets of say, 10 lengths (1 = there and back so 5 really) of breast stroke, then 10 of front crawl then breast stroke again, then a break for a few minutes. With the breast stroke, you could do it all above water but it may help your confidence?

5. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,445
    Well done for learning to swim!
    If you aren't, then I would recommend lessons. The breathing is part of the technique and it'll all come in time with practice, the right kind of practice.
    As for how tired, I used to swim all the time and competed in sprint and distance races. Not been swimming properly for years but went recently and couldn't believe how completely physically and mentally exhausted it left me after 30 minds of medium speed lengths! But practice makes.... Better.

6. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    i'm doing sprint and olympic distance triathlons, probably a half ironman next year. regular swim sets of 1 to 2.5km. my aim for the winter? not get faster, but get more efficient. swimming is a hugely inefficient sport if your stroke is flawed, which everyone's is, especially as a beginner. i'd say your tiredness is to be expected, it'll get better as you get more efficient in the water

7. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Thanks for all the encouragement, been in the pool a few more times over the weekend. Can now just about take 1-2 breath during the 'swim'. Just using legs feel much easier, working on getting my arms right now, and feeling less tired than before.

Aim is to try get good enough to compete in a local triathlon (only 400m swim) next autumn....not sure how realistic that is, but given I couldn't even float or put my head into the water 2 weeks ago I think am making progress....Have to say I never before could understand how people that could swim could end up getting in trouble/drown, but now I fully understand how energy intensive it is. Cannot wait to get better at it, and aiming to be able to swim 1 length in the next few weeks, currently can only do 1/3 length in one go. At least unlike cycling there isn't a stupid list of equipment for me to wast £££ on :laugh:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  8. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    one peice of advice, focus on getting the stroke right rather than distance, the distance will come naturally, make sure you get the stroke right. i can swim all day, but my stroke is awful

9. rjkgr

rjkgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    depends how often u exercise? if u dont use the muscles u need in swimming u can be tired really quick and for a while but just do small things first to get in the rhythm.

10. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027

I would consider my self reasonably fit, cycle about 50-60 miles a week purely for fitness, 30-45 minutes of weight training at the gym about 2-3 times a week, and now 'swimming' x3 a week.

Can now 'swim' 1/3 of length and breath whilst at it...so getting there, but compared to everyone else at the pool am using about x10 more effort to stay afloat and move :laugh: Pretty sure I was hitting my maximum heart rate after just 1/3 of a length, but making progress every time I get in the pool....still getting tired after each swim though, but am sure its making me fitter :)

11. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    I spent about 18 months living in Spain and did a ton of swimming. I consider myself a half decent swimmer and could easily spend 6 hours of the day where more than half of it was spent swimming. It does tire you out, thats normal, and some days I would get home and just crash out and sleep like a baby. I never ached from it either, but IMO being tired from it is right. FWIW, I would happily swim the 100 meters or so to the swimming limits and back (with my 9 year old daughter), and after that would usually rest for a bit before swimming again as it was pretty tiring.

12. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    So 12 months on from struggling to learn swimming, I've just done my First Sprint Triathlon (I'm in the red cap).

Swimming speed/technique/style all needs much much more work, but am just glad I've managed to complete one of these little personal challenges in life.....So if your a grown up like me, and cannot swim, don't despire, if I can manage to learn to swim than anyone can :clap:

[​IMG]

13. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    Nice drafting of the guy in front as well. Would have saved a little bit of effort!!!!! How long was the swim and what time did you do it in?

14. antonifi

antonifi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Every time i can't insist more than 5 minutes and after a long time no swimming, I could not get myself floated up to the water. I think you are better than me on swimming

15. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Have now got my front crawl distance up to 800 meters without stopping, need to start working on speed. Cannot believe am actually now enjoying the swimming training more than cycling/running/weights. It's a fab exercise, wish I didn't wait 31 years before learning to do it :)

16. Kailash

Kailash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    well done on the swimming! I was scared to death of water all my childhood and up until about 24, missed out on a lot of fun as a kid
    decided it was something I was going to have to face down

went to classes. had to start from scratch in a shallow pool, holding onto the edge, just putting head under the water was a challenge. took a good few weeks to get a width never mind a length. breathing was my problem, I wanted to hold my breath for as long as I could , not possible with swimming haha
    we transferred to the 25m pool eventually and things fell into place
    over 10 years on now and I swim regularly, such a great exercise, I always feel good after a few lengths

as for technique there are lots of videos on youtube I found useful. its all about the pivot and elbows apparently. I'm still learning myself