Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sweetspot RGB + Dscaler Vs JS RGB to VGA V2

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pulsar, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hello guys.

I have quite a specific question for you guys n' gals.

Has anyone seen both a HTPC with a sweetspot RGB capture card running Dscaler AND a JS RGB to VGA box running from a RGB sky source? I am particualrly interested if you saw it running on a plasma screen, even more so a Panasonic PWD6.

Cheers

Rob

2. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've exactly what you've described running to Pio 43MXE1.
    The PC route is night and day better than the direct route which has become a very expensive back-up for the Mrs!

The all analogue image has less contrast, washed out colours and appears "matter" like there's a gause over the screen.
    I'll only watch 5 minutes of it before wanting to switch the PC on.

Quite scary, considering that with the JS set-up from an RGB source, you should be getting the best possible image (better than you ever get to see in a shop before buying) but I'd be dissapointed with the plasma if I'd not got the PC.

3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,288
    This is interesting for me too,
    I have a PW7 and a Pace Twin freeview box and a shuttle media center PC.
    I am looking for the best possible picture quality for live freeview tv,
    And thought the JS RGB to VGA was the route to take,
    Now I am wondering whether to try a Sweetspot card instead,
    I only have one PCI slot so will then lose the TV functionality inside MCE2005,
    It gets complicated doesn't it!

Is your PC connected via VGA or DVI?

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Kaz,

Thanks for letting me know your opinion. As you say yourself, I expected the RGB to VGA converter to produce an image close to that of the HTPC. Maybe Dscaler is doing some nice things with the picture, like filtering noise? Of course, the de-interlacing of the HTPC should be superior to that of the plasma's on-board circuit.

It looks like I will be staying with the HTPC for a while longer then.

Cheers

Rob

5. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my plasma is fed with DVI.
    I wouldn't say there was agreat deal of "noise" on the analogue route, but the descaling options in Dscaler are one thing I didn't mention that I think really improves matters over leaving the screen to sort it out.
    I use "Adaptive" which selects the best algorythym for the given picture ("best" beng subject to another algorythm I guess).
    Either way stick a bit of CNN with it's trackers and the PC shines through even more.

If your looking for best quality Freeview then a Nebular might be worth looking at. I haven't tried one yet because, although I'm tempted by the promise of digital all the way, I'm led to believe they struggle to get smooth pans and the fact that I'd not get sports, Sky 1 etc means I'd still need a way to watch and record the channels I like.
    Another argument (one that's kept me away from SDI mods to Sky boxes) is that the broadcast digital signals from Sky/NTL and freeview aren't good enough to warrant trying too hard to get at the digital source, like you might with a DVD.

6. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Kaz

thats a common assumption - but on the main channels Sky SDI does look near DVD quality!. Basically the same benefits that you get by removing conversion stages and pixel mapping apply equally to Sky/Freeview as they do to DVD

7. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,288
    Hi,

I apologise in advance if I have completely misunderstood this concept.... :confused:

Rather than capturing via an expensive RGB capture card from an external source, can't an internal TV card do the same job? I am thinking of a DVB-T card with a sweetspot processor and dscaler.

This seems like a more direct (and cheaper) solution to a Pace Twin and a RGB capture to sweetspot then dscaler.

I am looking for best possible Freeview tv quality, helpful comments on this very welcome

8. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Lisa,

I think that the best way for you would be to use an integrated digital card inside the PC. This will avoid all A>D and D>A conversions iirc. I have never used such a card, so I am not sure which one to recommend. I have heard good things about the Nebula card, but the BlackGold card is MCE2005 compatible so...... it is up to you.

Rob

9. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Although Dscaler rocks, and is better than anything else for deinterlacing analogue sources, you don't need to use DScaler with a internal DVB-T card (in fact, Dscaler doesn't support it anyway). Instead, for the best terrestial-digital results, use the Nebula DVB-T card, and the software that comes with it, directly. That's all you need. I hope that helps.

Only if you are trying capture analogue video, you would want to go the sweetspot/dscaler route.

However, if you have a digital set-top box (freeview) and you want to capture it's output using a PC (ie. without using a nebula card), you will, in fact, be capturing analogue output from the box, and so the sweetspot/dscaler route is required. Which is where confusion can arise.

For me, another interesting comparison would be between the Sweetspot/Dscaler/set-top box results vs the Nebula card. I suspect that the sweetspot would win due to the superior deinterlacing of dscaler, but I'd be interested in people's findings, and there are several factors involved (like the quality of the set-top box and the analogue cables) which could impact the results.

Admittedly this is off-topic, sorry.

10. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,288
    Thanks very much for the comprehensive replies, I think I am getting to grips with it now.

The cards I have tried so far are Leadtek LR6650 DVB-T in MCE2005, a Hauppauge 150MCE PVR in MCE2005 and a Pinnacle Stereo capturing via s-video through Dscaler.

The best results I have had are through the Pinnacle, with a lot of tweaking I could get it to match the PQ of the Pace Twin which is connected via Scart.... so there didn't seem much point :rolleyes: . Also, I really like the functionality through MCE2005 so want to maintain that if poss.

I will give the Nebula a try - does it have hardware encoding, as although I am not sure what it is I think it is important?!?

11. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,288
    I have been doing some research and think I have answered my own questions :smashin:

Apparently hardware encoding is not required on a DVB-T card as the broadcast is already in MPEG.

The Nebula card is not yet MCE2005 compatible but should be by May, the next best is Black Gold, same as the sweetspot version.

Think I might wait for May - need to keep tabs on my spending anyway....

Feel free to correct if any of this is wrong