1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sweetspot question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by n00b, Feb 25, 2005.

1. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Is this card worth the extra money when you can pick up other capture cards for a quarter of the price? I have a Leadtek card but when i feed a signal via s-vid i get a lot of interference lines (constant waves), im pretty sure its not the cable since its a good quality one and moving it does not make the interference more or less.
    I am currently using dscaler. Would upgrading to the sweetspot card give me a better quality, interference-free image?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Sweetspot RGB analogue or SDI digital capture cards will deliver improved results over composite or S-video capture cards - if you have an RGB analogue (Sky receiver, DVD player etc.) or SDI (broadcast kit or modded Sky box or DVD player) source.

No point in using it if you only have composite or s-video sources though AIUI.

The Sweetspot is a basic capture card, with no on-board compression (in fact it is aimed at home cinema scaling applications where compression is the last thing you want) - so it isn't compatible with Windows Media Center (which requires on-board hardware MPEG2 compression)

3. n00b

n00b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for your reply Stephen. Looks like i shall be ordering the Sweetspot :thumbsup:

4. mdekkers

mdekkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stephen! When you say "isn't compatible with Windows Media Center" does that mean "it won't work" or "it doesn't work with the PVR stuff"?

Thanks

Martijn

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    It won't work with the Media Application - i.e. the main Media Center bit, so it won't be accessible via the "Big Print" GUI, and won't work with the PVR GUI.

It will almost certainly work with 3rd party software independent of the Media Center application, as Win XP MCE is just a slightly trimmed version of Win XP Pro.

Effectively you won't be able to use it with any of the MCE bits of Win MCE, so there isn't really any point in using MCE at all, unless you compress to MPEG2 in software and then use MCE to watch the recordings?

6. mdekkers

mdekkers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, I Think i'll be going with meedio anyway because it is closer to my needs.... reading some threads about the sweetspot and it is getting me a bit worried - seems like it needs a lot of work to get set up....