Sweetspot question

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by zAndy1, Jun 15, 2004.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,948
    Is it possible to send RGB to the sweetspot but also send RGB to a dvd recorder for recording Sky? Or would I have to loop sky through the dvd recorder and then send the RGB out of the dvd recorder to the sweetspot (is it ok to do that)? Will it yield much better results than using a PB TV100 capture card? Are there any comparison pictures available at all?

Cheers
    Andy

2. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got myself a Sweetspot over the w/e and must say it is significantly better than PB-TV100. Colours are very much more natural and separated. Switching between sources in DScaler, the PB-TV100 picture seems to have a red/blue tint through it by comparison with Sweetspot (which may be a calibration issue, I suppose). Nonetheless, PB-TV100 shows up as pretty incredible value price-wise as a budget card. "Yer pays yer money.........!"

Does it matter what you do with the RGB signal (as long as you don't split (degrade) it), ie, so what if it goes first to your DVD recorder and then loops through into Sweetspot, or vice versa? It's the same signal, yes?

Or maybe I misunderstood?

3. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that's what we recommend too - looping through your recorder if it allows it. Failing that, there are plenty of good scart splitters on the market - we tend to use the Vivanco AV5 for switching and splitting on a budget, but there are plenty of others.

4. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ..or..., use recording software on the HTPC.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,948
    mmm, tried that once and didn't get on with it! And showshifter doesn't work properly with the maudio revolution so you can't get audio in! I'd love to be able to use my HTPC as a dvd recorder replacement and (potential) scaler replacement but it's just not user friendly enough at the moment. Might be worth persevering though I suppose, certainly a cheaper option! Perhaps a sweetspot is worth considering, I change my mind every 5 mins though! 1 minute it's a sweetspot then it's an Iscan HD , then a lumagen visionpro HDP! Maybe I'm just not giving my PC the credit it deserves....

Cheers,
    Andy.