1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sweetspot / Playstation 2 Query

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gillykid, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've happily been running Sky via the excellent Sweetspot / DScaler combo with a Van Damme Component cable with S-video sync for ages now and dead happy with the results.

My projector died this week, which my Playstation 2 has been directly connected to via Component.

So I was thining - can I just connect the Playstation 2 directly to the sweetspot card? Apparently not. I have tried every combo of Inputs / Formats I can think of and I either get a blank screen or a flickery purple image.

Is it not possible to do this?

Cheers

G

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi G

glad you are enjoying the product. Yes, this is definately possible, we have several games companies do just the very same thing. You need to ensure that you change the jumper on SweetSpot to handle the combined sync that you get with component, and then it should all work a treat.

regards

3. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

So, just so that I get it right, to watch Sky with the component / svideo cable the jumper should be set to "Seperate Sync" and for the playstation over just component it should be set to "Sync on Y/G"?

In this case, could I simply purchase an component cable for Sky without svideo sync to cut down moving the jumper about?

Or alternatively could I connect the playstation via just SVideo without having to move the jumer about?

I dont mind a small drop in quality to save having to open up the machine each time :D

Thanks again

G

4. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi
    I'm running the Sweetspot with Sky RGB and a PS2 via Svideo 2 with no probs just change the input in Dscaler.
    Rob

5. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for confirming about S-Video - looks like that will be the best option.

Shame, cos it would have been nice to run both Sky and PS2 via Component as the picture via Component is excellent.

David, just to confirm can you run Sky via component without the Sync?

Thanks to everyone (sorry I am a bit slow on the uptake! :) )

Cheers

G

6. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Gilly
    The best solution is to run Sky via RGBS (which is what you are already doing) and get an RGB output cable for your PS2, and then use an RGB switch, we have a couple on our site.
    This will definately give a better quality from your PS2 rather than using SVideo, though of course the SVideo option saves you the cost of purchasing a Scart switch.

Either of these options will avoid the need to change the jumper on SweetSpot so that is the main benefit.