Sweetspot / PDI Deluxe - Too much green using RGBS

J

JDAdams

Hi all,

I'm trying to use my Sweetspot / PDI Deluxe with RGB input, and I've run into what seems to be some sort of mathematical error in the displaying of RGBS signals. I've posted this on the PixelMagic forums too, but I'm hoping someone here has experience with these cards and can help.

I've tried connecting both a DVD player (Mustek DVB-T202) which outputs an RGB signal which has sync on both green and separately at the same time - sort of RGsBS - and also a Gamecube outputting both RGBS and YsPbPr.

I've also tried both the "sync on Y/G" and "separate sync" jumper positions, and am using a SCART > 3 component plus s-video breakout box with DScaler 4.1.7p4, but it seems I can't input a signal using separate sync without an unwanted boost to my green level.

Results of testing:

Gamecube YsPbPr via 3 RCA, jumper on Y/G sync, DScaler set to component input:
Perfect, if Ys is removed then picture is unstable

Gamecube RGBS via 3 RCA + s-video, jumper on separate sync, DScaler set to RGsB/RGBS input:
Picture is stable but has green tint, if sync is removed then colours are normal (using a single-colour screen to test) but picture is unstable

Gamecube RGB via 3 RCA + s-video, jumper on Y/G sync, DScaler set to RGsB/RGBS input:
Picture is unstable

DVD RGsB via 3 RCA, jumper on Y/G sync, DScaler set to RGsB/RGBS input:
Perfect, if Gs is removed then picture is unstable

DVD RGsBS via 3 RCA + s-video, jumper on Y/G sync, DScaler set to RGsB/RGBS input:
Picture is stable but has green tint, if separate sync is removed then picture is perfect, if Gs is removed then picture is unstable

DVD RGsBS via 3 RCA + s-video, jumper on separate sync, DScaler set to RGsB/RGBS input:
Picture is stable but has green tint, if separate sync is removed then colours are normal but picture is unstable, if Gs is removed then picture has purple tint

I know I've found ways to hook both of these up via alternate means (YsPbPr & RGsB) but for all my consoles that only output standard RGBS via SCART, I can't get a display that isn't too green for my liking. I believe with DScaler 4.1.11 I should be able to adjust the gain on Y/G to compensate, but this is hardly ideal. Any idea why I'm having this problem please?

Thanks

Mr.D

Have you run through the auto-calibration routine in Dscaler with a suitable test pattern?

Make sure the cabling is snug. Scart leads can exhibit colour shifts if they are not fully home. Check the rca plugs that connnect with the sweetspot. I added some insulation tape inside mine to avoid any possibility of short circuiting between the shield and pin. The green plug on mine would short every so often resulting in a magenta shift to the picture. Maybe the red plug is shorting on yours.

J

JDAdams

Thanks for that - I don't think it's a cabling problem though as it's only a light green tint not like I'd get if one of the RGB lines was loose or shorted, and the DVD player is fine with "sync on Y/G" set and just the RGB lines connected until I plug in the s-video lead, when it turns green - if there is a cabling problem, it'd have to be with the s-video connection wouldn't it?

Am going to check my DVDs for patterns I can use to calibrate onight - I believe the T2 R2 DVD has a THX Optimode screen.

Mr.D

If its a light green tint it is likely just a calibration issue. The s-video connection is only supplying sync so you''d expect the picture to lose stability if there were any problems there.

J

JDAdams

Thanks again - just nipped home for a lunch break (I work a late shift) and although I didn't have time to calibrate, I've checked and the T2 DVD does indeed have the THX optimode tests on, so I'll run those when I get in.

Having installed DScaler 4.1.11p2 and manually fiddled about with the RGB gain settings to get a much improved picture, calibration should be able to sort it, but of course that will mean my RGsB picture has less green than it should, since it's the separate sync which causes the green tint on RGBS - RGsB is fine as is. Fortunately YPbPr has separate settings so won't be affected, and it's not like I have a massive amount of RGsB equipment, most if not all will output RGBS. Still seems a bit of a deficiency in the card though.

By the way, I need to optimise for RGBS PAL and PAL60 - will the PAL THX Optimode sort out both of these, or only standard PAL(50)?

Mr.D

PAL/PAL60 shouldn't make any odds. If dscaler saves seperate settings for each input just manually set the same values for the PAL60 video settings. Of course there might be some foible with the way the card handles the different sync but in theory the results should be valid. (its RGB remember not really PAL or PAL60)

J

JDAdams

Thanks for that - the calibration on it's own didn't do a very good job of getting rid of the green tint, but adjusting the gain for the green channel down and then calibrating gives much better results :thumbsup:

Trending threads

Top Bottom