1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sweetspot card: ideal solution for Sky capture?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dr_mabuse, Dec 1, 2003.

1. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just found the Sweetspot card and have searched this forum for each mention of it - looks impressive!

I have been searching for a way for ages to get output from my Sky Digibox (which does NOT offer S-Video Out) from RGB into my PC.
    edit: I don't want to buy a standalone DVD recorder!!

At one point I was going to buy the Canopus ADVC100, but I'd have needed an RGB to S-Video converter as well; then I went the other way and tried to find a capture card of any sort that could capture without frame loss and audio-sync (yes I realise that a multiple of other local factors with the host PC can affect that, but it's not encouraging reading most of the time...)

I realise it's not on sale yet but if Alex or David are reading could you detail any host PC considerations that I should be prepared for?

I want to capture from Sky Digital, edit and author menus on my PC, then burn to DVD also from my PC. I am happy to spend a little more than the card if there are any "extras" to maximise the captured picture - obviously it will only be as good as Sky supply it!!

My PC is a Sony VAIO with XP2600+, 512MB PC2700 and spare 40GB - need more space? What is the file format captured in mb/minute?

Sorry to drone on but I'm excited that this product might end my somewhat frustrating searching!!

Thanks for any help

dr_m

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    There is a lot of interest that we have received directly and that has also been expressed on other forums for using the SweetSpot card as a PVR solution.

While this isn’t the primary application for the card, which has been designed as a display enhancement solution using DScaler, we do see it as an interesting future direction for the product.

What we would say though is *at the moment* there are easier / established solutions on the market to do give you PVR capabilities, and the most obvious for you as a Sky subscriber is of course Sky+ which is being heavily promoted now with the recent removal of the monthly subscription fee (though you have to subscribe to enough channels to qualify).

You could then use a PC based editing solution to archive to DVD, though as your own research has shown this is not really a plug and play field – it may be that for simply archiving broadcast material you can get 90% of what you need with a standalone DVD recorder!

So I guess what we are saying is that at the moment we would not want to advise you to spec your PC to meet a potential PC based editing solution around SweetSpot because there aren’t any established software solutions out there yet!

As things develop though we will keep you posted…

Regards

3. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    David
    I am also looking to do as dr_m - ie capture Sky in RGB.

I already have editing and authoring suite on my PC - don't get me wrong, I'm only talking about chopping ads out and adding static chapter points and menus, which I do at the mo when constructing DVD rips.

That being the case, could your card be used from the outset in this way? (please note I do not mean as a programmable PVR, I mean as a manual capture device that I would start and stop as required).

I have Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 which is able to look for incoming signals etc - would it recognise your card? If not, could you or anyone else advise what software I could use to grab the output from the sweetspot card? I have heard that IUVCR is good.

Thanks

Nick