Sweetspot and Showshifter

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by philipb, Jun 10, 2004.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Would appreciate some tips on using this combination.

PQ using showshifter is several notches worse than Sweetspot alone. None of the deinterlace settings seem to have an effect. What resolutions do people use? I'm feeding a Pioneer 433 MXE via VGA.

All the basics are set up correctly, just can't get a decent picture, or get rid of the jaggies.

2. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there
    Firstly Showshifter probably wont ever look as good as DScaler.
    However, you can get some great results from it by using some DScaler deinterlacing methods within it. They're not the most recent methods but you can get rid of most combing.
    There's some instructions here
    http://www.showshifter.com/support/SupportReports/Deinterlacing_bug.html
    although I remember a bit not explained too well so if you get stuck, post on here and we'll try and get you through it.

Cheers
    Alex

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Alex

You seem to be implying that watching via Showshifter takes Dscaler out of the loop? If so that would explain the drop in PQ and make it an unacceptable option for me.

I've tried all the deinterlacer options and there is still a lot of "jaggies" visible. The best option seems to be using bob from the drop down menu, or selecting custom and using TomsMoComp from the drop down within the custom option (I copied across all the dlls from the dscaler directory to Showshifter).

The other frustration is that none of the predefined resolutions in showshifter suits my 433MXE without using the zoom adjustment (to get rid of black bars side and top/bottom), which in turn accentuates the picture faults. Best fit is 704 x 568 with a bit of zoom. I suspect that the drop in PQ is largely due to the difference between Sweetspot plus dscaler running at the NR of the plasma (1024x768), against Showshifter which is forcing me to use one of its predefined resolutions none of which are close to the NR.

Thanks for the response. Any more ideas would be welcome - at least Sweetspot + dscaler still rocks.

4. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil
    Well there's a bit of confusion here.
    DScaler and ShowShifter are different apps and work totally independently of each other.

The Deinterlacing menu that you refer to sounds like the DScaler menu (I could be wrong but I've never got TomsMoComp to work in ShowShifter). On the link above there's some instructions on how to get the DScaler Deinterlace filters working in ShowShifter, but it requires a plugin that you download from their site. I seem to remember that I had to double-click a file that wasn't explicit in their instructions but other than that it was straightforward. Then you can select the deinterlace method in ShowShifter. I now use Video Adaptive in ShowS and get no combing (but the accasional jaggie shows up)

The resolution you're choosing in ShowShifter is the resolution of the source. This is a bit like the "pixel width" setting in DScaler AFAIK. So choose 720x576 if PAL. The scaling is done by your graphics card so clicking to fullscreen will be scaling to your desktop resolution (1024x768).

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Alex

5. Quantum

Quantum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If i choose any dscaler methods my picture flickers up and down by one pixel . The only ones i can get to work are the non-custom two frame or blended clipping. The other ones not on custom half the resolution so i just get a blocky mess
    Any ideas what i am doing wrong?

6. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm - Sorry Quantum, none of us have experienced that.
    It sounds like something worth posting on the ShowShifter forums - there's a lot of people using the DScaler filters on there who should be able to help.
    http://www.showshifter.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Hope you find an answer
    Alex

7. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Alex

Thanks. I was being a bit dim.

If you want to use any of the Dscaler algorithms, such TomsMocomp, in SShifter just copy all the DLLs from Dscaler into the SShifter folder, then select custom in the SShifter deinterlace options, then in the little box that appears select Dscaler plug-in, and they will all be there in a drop down list. Sorry if you already knew that.

8. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I thought I did, but the newer ones would never show up for me - I'm just running the old video greedy one. I'll try again. We did it as a proof of concept more than anything else, SDI Sky+ is still our recording option of choice.

We've switched to using Crystalio for a bit to give it a real good thrashing, so the HTPC is sitting there idle for the moment.

Glad you got sorted
    Alex

9. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I left out the crucial bit :blush:

You have to re-run Regall.exe. Then all the Dscaler options should be available under SShifter.

10. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to remember doing that (that's the bit I was refering to before) but there's obviously sonething wrong if you've got tomsmocomp and I haven't :)
    Cheers
    Alex