1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sweetspot and non RGB sources

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NaTT, Jun 15, 2004.

1. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I want to feed the signal (RGB scart out and stereo RCA to phono lead) from my NTL digital box in the living room, to my PC in the spare room.

Why? because I owe Dave at plugged in TV a report on disributing live TV over a LAN (and WLAN) and I have to lug the PC into the living room (with all the resulting wife type nagging) to do the tests.
    I've not yet bought the remaining bits to build a HCPC for the living room. (I'm only short a case, memory, Graphics card and DVD rom).

I'd like to prove the TV distribution before buying the remaining bits.

Is there a convertor box that'll take a UHF lead and output SCART for video and phono lead for audio?
    Would the resulting SCART signal (which would be composite by this time) give a signal (however degraded) that the sweetspot could use?

:lease:

2. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Sussed it :clap:

It's called a VCR (remember them? attach to your "teh-li-viz-ion", records shows on magnetic tapes :thumbsup: )

Wel they take UHF in and the rest of the above. Only I'm only getting a B&W picture and as usual am getting little luck with VLC.

3. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure why you need the VCR, really........

Are you connecting the NTL STB co-ax out (presumably in the living room) to the VCR co-ax-in (presumably in the spare room, adjacent to the PC)? If so, why not extend the NTL TV (source) cable with that piece of co-ax and move the NTL box to your PC in the spare room instead, at least for the purposes of the test? Then you'll have RGB or composite video + audio out (is the NTL STB set to output RGB or composite video?) to the PC direct from the STB (you can use a SCART -> composite video + L & R audio adapter, if necessary, available for about a fiver).

Your black & white picture could be caused by feeding a composite video signal to an s-video input.

Hope this helps...............

4. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    yup that helps, but anyway of getting rid of B&W? doesn't matter too much for the purposes of the test. If I get it somehow working, I'll hump the PC to the NTL box to get better results

The NTL box feeds RGB scart into my living room TV and a long UHF lead to the spare room.
    Can't be without quality TV for the duration of the tests (I've been at this off and on for a few weeks, system upgrading aside).

5. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How is the VCR connected to Sweetspot? Is it via a composite video cable (RCA -> RCA), s-video cable (4 pin mini DIN -> 4 pin mini DIN) or SCART (Break-out) adapter? Or are you using the Van Damme SCART -> x3 RCA + Sync ? (the latter ought not to work at all, though!)

Unless your VCR can output an s-video signal from a co-ax source, you should not use any s-video connections between VCR -> Sweetspot. If you do, you'll be sending a composite video signal down an s-video connection, which will result in a B&W picture.

So, if you are using a SCART adapter out of the VCR, you should connect the composite video not the s-video connector to Sweetspot (otherwise you'll only get B&W). Use either the R,G or B inputs on Sweetspot and set the Sweetspot -> Video Input appropriately, (ie either Composite 1 (Red); Composite 2 (Green) or Composite 3 (Blue), depending on which connector you've chosen.

6. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    cracking thanks. Yes, I'm using the jean claude cable and I've got the s-video lead connected to the sweetspot.
    I'll try un-hooking it and reconfiguring d-scaler as you suggested.

7. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could just select "composite1 over s-video1" in the inputs dropdown :)

8. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, that changes everything.............

If you're connecting the VCR (outputting RGBS/RGsB) to Sweetspot via Sweetspot's Van Damme cable (what a mickey mouse SCART connector for all that money, eh?!?), you should set "DScaler -> Sweetspot -> Video Input" to "RGBS/RGsB" to get the best picture quality (assuming the VCR doesn't output component); there's no need to use an inferior standard like composite video if you have that cable. But make sure you've got the jumper set correctly on the Sweetspot or the picture won't synch.

I suspect what you had done originally was to select the wrong Video Input setting in DScaler. You should have had Composite 1 over S-Video 1. You must have had S-Video 1, which would have given you B&W.

Hopefully, you can now test Sweetspot over the LAN.

9. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    point is though the vcr is in a room only fed by a very long bit of UHF. This is just a test rig for playing with VLAN.
    It worked BTW. I had a bit of success and immediatley justified lugging PC back to the living room to attach the Van damme directly intot he NTL box.

But you help was what got me there. cheers

10. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that the scart connector is a bit lacking in the looks department. But the cable and soldering are of the highest quality. There are actually very few heavy-duty scart connectors available as components. VanDamme assure us that most of the metal ones actually perform *worse* than the plastic one used on the SweetSpot cable. We spent an awful long time sourcing these cables and it really is the best price/performance compromise. I've got a sample from a very well known cable manufacturer that would retail at £135 that performs no better.
    I have to say though, from a marketing perspective, you are right, it doesn't have that techie appeal :(

11. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    one of the rca connectors fell apart on me this morning as i pulled from the card. no harm done just had to re screw it together.