Sweet Tooth Season 1 (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Thanks for the reassuring review, Tom. I think that's the best way to put that.
I wasn't bothered by the CG (after being satisfied by Jeffrey Combs floaty antennae in STE but then disappointed in STD[!] at their static pinning), or it's potential lack, though more that this would be too kiddie and so gave this a nope rating. However, as I think we can all do without a bit of padding in these times, a story that has parallels and has a bit of whimsy, I'll now give it a go.
More claws'es than a modified forest animal. Sorry. Not, sorry.

It’s a very strong and extremely enjoyable first season which I will load into the score cannon with the caveat that it really only needs one more season to complete the story, two at most. You never know which way Netflix is going to go, though: extend long past sell-by date or cut off at the knees with a story ¾ finished…

Thanks for the review Tom, does the first season wrap things up sufficiently or are we left with a cliffhanger type ending? After wasting my time with Jupiter's Legacy I'm reluctant to put any eyeball effort into this before Netflix confirms one way or another the shows second season.

Thanks for the review Tom, does the first season wrap things up sufficiently or are we left with a cliffhanger type ending? After wasting my time with Jupiter's Legacy I'm reluctant to put any eyeball effort into this before Netflix confirms one way or another the shows second season.
Definitely a cliffhanger so yeah, you're gambling with Netflix's opaque commissioning policies if you get invested.

Definitely a cliffhanger so yeah, you're gambling with Netflix's opaque commissioning policies if you get invested.

Cheers dude, I'll revisit it a couple of months then. 🙂

Watched this and found the whole premise really interesting. The pairing between deer boy and Mr. Anonsie is quite well done, the boundless optimism and naivety of deer boy and the world weariness of Mr. Anonsie is an unusual pairing. The side stories take a little while to link into the main thread - but I’m hopeful there will be a Season 2 as this has good reviews from both critics and Joe Public- george

I just thought this was 'okay'*. Both the kid and Game Of Thrones-man are excellent in their roles, so plaudits there. Nicely filmed. Love Will Forte, wish he was in it more. But I think the Netflix curse is really just vast quantities of sometimes well-made (as in this case) but ultimately forgettable 'content'. Both HBO and Apple TV+ are killing it right now by comparison. By the way if you do have ATV+ you should definitely check out Lisey's Story. It's terrific

*In my opinion, your mileage may vary etc. etc.

Last edited:
Ditto re OK.

Guess we jsut wait to see if a S2 is commissioned. 50/50 I reckon.

In my opinion Sweet Tooth is definitely one of the best picks from Netflix this year, it has a movie quality feel about it, combining a bit of Jim Henson (puppets) with Peter Jackson (the NZ backdrops and set design).
The story telling always maintains a comic book style, including the main hybrid boy/deer character who would fit in nicely into any Disney cartoon fantasy, but coming from a DC comics creation Sweet Tooth shows the creative diversity necessary to keep the US comic book industry original and relevant especially with older children which I suspect this Netflix series is aimed at.
The underlying environmental messaging is unambiguous; that nature and humanity must coexist or humans will not survive, the story is sort of borrowing from James Lovelock's Gaia, that the Earth is an organism with self regulating functions.
Plainly the COVID-19 pandemic offered plenty of opportunity to use face masks and hand sanitiser just to remind viewers of reality today.
Some of the escape sequences are almost comical to watch but that is part of the charm of this show, train fans will love the old steam locomotive used as well.
I am only two thirds of the way through the series but will give Sweet Tooth 8 out of 10 too.

Oh well... just me then... I watched the first epsode and really struggled with even doing that! And I thought it utter tosh!

I get the the whimsy, fairy tale, comic book style etc but I just think it's hopeless. Surely it is just for kids?

Reading other reviews I am going to force myself to watch episode 2 just to make sure we're all watching the same thing!

Thanks Tom, I saw this advertised the other day and hadn't really considered it... I'll give it a go now :)

Just finished Stranger Things and second season of Lupin. This is on my watchlist next.

Really enjoying this so far.
Noticed in the credits that one of the executive producers was Robert Downey Jr!

Yeps. It's his production company making it. Their first actually good production after The Judge, Dolittle and the Perry Mason reboot.
Just had a look on imdb - his production company is called 'Team Downey'.
Good to see that in real life he's got the same level of egotism as Stark :rotfl:

This turned out to be a lovely surprise, enjoyed every episode.
finished it yesterday, I really hope they commission a season 2…I need it!
it seems to have gotten quite a bit of popularity and seems to be gaining momentum like queens gambit did, so it’s looking hopeful.

If there isn't going to be a second season I've just wasted 8 hours of my life.

Enjoyable TV show, quite entertaining.
Picture quality looks great, very colourful in places

I really enjoyed the whole thing. My heart sank to an extent when they formally introduced the child element, but it didn't labour the point too much and it just served to add another angle to the mix.

If there is more, then fine, if not then I don't mind. In an ideal world there would be a story, multiple seasons and endgame, but endings are normally disappointing and I'll just take things as they come.

I loved this series. Just finished last episode last night and looking forward to season 2. A nice, and at times emotional, TV series that is refreshing and brings an aspect of innocence from the main hybrid characters. And Booby the groundhog is pure cuteness.Perhaps good timing this came out during a pandemic as it shows peoples fears in others and also the darker side of humanity striving to find a virus cure at the expense of killing others!

E3D_m2oWEAIgfdM.jpeg

If there isn't going to be a second season I've just wasted 8 hours of my life.
I would be very surprised if it doesn't get a 2nd season. It's been very well received and Netflix value positive publicity and great reviews all of which this has got.

We've been watching and enjoying this series while camping.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom