Sweet Lord. . .Is PlayStation Home making a comeback?

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Reaction score
Surely not?

The Home team are hiring. . .for PS4 development.

Sony Playstation - Senior Artist vacancy in Soho, London

How exciting for us all!! Finding a new space. . .walking towards it. . .and having to download the area. . .then after getting bored, going back to another area. . .which now needs an update as you haven't played in a couple of weeks. . .so while that's downloading, you decide to go to the mall. . .but it also needs an update downloading. . .so you wander around the plaza watching people play chess.

Oh the memories.

Yip, home was crap, luckily I was never forced to use it. Had potential though.

It did have potential! The constant need for updates to every space ruined it. Maybe with all this new download in standby stuff etc it would come into it's own.

Free live games could be good too.

Like a live massively online game of "BUZZ!" every Sunday night. Thousands upon thousands of people playing a long live for things.

so don't go anyway near it ,
meerkat.jpg

would be a misdirection of resource IMHO. Would be interesting to know how many people did really get into it. And what is the "real" objective behind putting cash into it. Where is it supposed to be going?

Could never see the appeal myself, but feel I am missing the point somewhere along the line. (Yes, not for the first time comments welcomed)

Biggest issue with home was that it was so damn slow, which combined with lack.of multitasking on PS3 was a.serious PITA. Had a lot of potential though and could see it working well on PS4, especially with VR.

They're investing in it presumably because it actually makes money.

I have to confess, I only loaded up HOME once on the PS3, and that was by mistake when I mistook it for Playstation Store early on:)

With that I don't have any opinion on it.

Biggest issue with home was that it was so damn slow, which combined with lack.of multitasking on PS3 was a.serious PITA. Had a lot of potential though and could see it working well on PS4, especially with VR.

They're investing in it presumably because it actually makes money.
Yah, I would have thought it's purely for VR integration.

It was my birthday on Saturday and I had an email with a code to download a free birthday cake for my Playstation Home apartment!

Can't remember the last time I even used Home... but it could be used to good effect with VR.

Would not surprise me if Home launches on the PS4 at the same time as the VR headset is released. It seems like a perfect fit for both.

I never thought Home would come to PS4 but now people have mentioned the VR headset, along with the sheer power of the console which could make it run a lot faster, I can see it happening.

It would need to be included at an OS level rather than separate app though to be popular

Home was a total waste of time in my opinion, just a money making venture that held no real purpose.

Why???

HOME is just so rubbish though....... I just don't see any appeal in it at all. Even with VR - what would it be? Nothing more than a very expensive tech demo.

Why is it a bad idea? Because you guys are not interested in it?

I'm not interested in it, but a lot of people will be, and if it IS going to have VR integration then I will praise the hell out of it. Anything that helps sell VR and offset costs while giving devs a bigger userbase to develop for, I'm all for it.

Why is it a bad idea? Because you guys are not interested in it?

I think its a bad idea for several of the points already made. I installed it in good faith on PS3 and in all honesty, didn't fully understand the point of it. Not a great way to get people to keep using something. Maybe it got better and maybe there is a good community growing, but it'll need a better selling point for me, as it seemed like one big miss.

Once PS+ took hold, I deleted Home to make room for an actual gaming ecosystem I understood. And that leads me to my negative, Home was HDD expensive if I recall, I'd see this as a competitor for HDD space that will more than likely lose in households like mine.

Edit: If this is linked to VR and its clear on the benefits, great, but I cannot read the linked article, is VR confirmed?

I think its a bad idea for several of the points already made. I installed it in good faith on PS3 and in all honesty, didn't fully understand the point of it. Not a great way to get people to keep using something. Maybe it got better and maybe there is a good community growing, but it'll need a better selling point for me, as it seemed like one big miss.

Once PS+ took hold, I deleted Home to make room for an actual gaming ecosystem I understood. And that leads me to my negative, Home was HDD expensive if I recall, I'd see this as a competitor for HDD space that will more than likely lose in households like mine.

Edit: If this is linked to VR and its clear on the benefits, great, but I cannot read the linked article, is VR confirmed?
I can't read the linked article and don't know for sure if it's linked to VR. But if it is, and I'd say it's likely, then it can only mean good things for VR. Not to mention it means Sony would beat Facebook to the punch (which I think is where they are ultimately headed with it). So if it really kicks off then the playerbase for the console would spurt and so would VR. A move I back one hun'ed percent!

There's no way in hell I'm installing it on my PS4 though. I hate social media. I hate avatars. I hate people. I just want an alternate reality universe for to me to embrace and shoot some crap up!

I'm yet to be convinced with VR, its in the same boat as cameras for me. The humble Joystick has evolved into a thing of gaming beauty, along with the keyboard and mouse combo, I can't see them being dethroned any time soon. Especially when emerging technology is asking you to wear a bucket on your head or flood light your front room and wave your hands in the air like you just don't care ;)

I'm yet to be convinced with VR, its in the same boat as cameras for me. The humble Joystick has evolved into a thing of gaming beauty, along with the keyboard and mouse combo, I can't see them being dethroned any time soon. Especially when emerging technology is asking you to wear a bucket on your head or flood light your front room and wave your hands in the air like you just don't care ;)
Home, like VR, is not for everyone. Thankfully pleasing everyone is not the cost of entry.

I'm excited to see where VR can and will go. And who knows, if they can make Home enticing enough and I get divorced and she gets full custody then I may dabble...

Home was a waste of space before to be honest. I was excited by it initially, but in reality it was just tripe. That said, it could be fantastic with Morpheus and does actually seem like a great idea to launch Morpheus with PS home.

I can see Facebook using OR to do something similar and really move the social network away from a screen of updates and into a more errr social type gathering...kind of like a virtual pub. They will probably call the concept Social Media 2.0 or something crap.

PS Home via Morpheus could be Sony's Social Media 2.0 solution. Interesting times.

Someone I worked with met his missus on Playstation Home!

Personally, I tried it once and deleted it!

I thought Home as a great resource for keeping the cyberspace :confused::eek:o_O out of the real world and cheaper to for the taxpayer rather than locking them all away;).

It seemed like a diversion of resources to me, but apparently it did make money: Both advertising, and monetised items.

If people can remember back before cross-game chat; it was one way of make a drop-in/drop-out area to voice chat with mates. However as games got better with in-game comms, it seemed less social needed to me.

Saying that, i have spent hours in game lobbies chatting: Phantasy Star, Monster Hunter, ME3 MP, Warframe dojo - all essentially as un-gamey as Home, so i'm not really able to throw stones...

If a PS4 version does come back, i hope they implement that PS3 idea of forming game lobbies in Home - then transferring as a group into your chosen game (e.g.: straight into a Battlefield lobby, or from a Home Warframe-themed ship map-room, and straight into a mission, or in a virtual Home-Tristram and straight into a Rift in D3 etc).

I do however have massive reservations on a PS4 version.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom