swearing in the film happy feet

basser

Ex Member
Reaction score
we watched happy feet on hd-dvd last night..as everyone on here has said the transfer was amazing and even on my 360 hddvd addon the dolby hd sound was brilliant:thumbsup: ...after finishing the film ,we put on the film extras...there was one of a albatros and blue whale. with steve irwin as the voice of the albatros...near the end of the feature the penguin asks the whale what he thinks? the albatros translates back that he thinks he is a WAN*ER:eek: ...luckily the kids didnt hear it...it must mean something else in australia....im laughing about it cos someone in the studio has made a minor :censored: up:suicide:

Wan*er is probably not considered much of a swear word these days. I'd put it on a par with ar*e, pr*t, d*ck, kn*b, to**er & tw*t. Probably bas*ard as well (does anyone say that anymore?). I'm sure if your kids had heard the offending wan*er and you had told them that they should not say such words they'd have told you to p*ss off you old ****.

;)

Well if they can get away with it in The Simpsons...

In Married with children Peggy's maiden name was Wa.nker, they would often mention the wa.nkers coming to visit.

There was a guy who worked on Buffy, think he did the music or something called Thomas ******. It doesn't seem to be thought of as particularly rude in the US.

Crikey, enough circumventing of the swear word filter thank you!

this post was started by me as imformative and also comedic...im a 43 year old bricklayer..and i have heard everything anyone can imagine concerning swearing....but i dont want my 7 year old or five year old children to hear it "yet"....happy feet is an amazing movie and the extra parts should reflect the quality of the movie .Also....i never heard anyone in "monsters inc " calling mikey a "toss piece" etc etc ....im also annoyed that a mod on this forum censored my post from this word :censored:....to (censored)...but allowing my original concerns to go unnoticed and unanswered...films on hddvd are region free ,which is something i really care about as a consumer and customer...and the reason why i want hdvd to succeed over blurry-ray. therefore studios must take more care in compiling material for extras especially on movies aimed at children...this thread was started lightheartidly with humour...im not sure now what has happened...hhhmmmm:rolleyes:

Wan*er is probably not considered much of a swear word these days. I'd put it on a par with ar*e, pr*t, d*ck, kn*b, to**er & tw*t. Probably bas*ard as well (does anyone say that anymore?). I'm sure if your kids had heard the offending wan*er and you had told them that they should not say such words they'd have told you to p*ss off you old ****.

;)

good post, but I hardly think any of the other words you mention are in the same league as ****!

its funny watching old tv shows that went through the censors years ago (i'm pretty sure once they have been through once they don't have to do it again when repeated) and hearing words that were not considered swearing then but are now!?!

for example, during the episode of fools and horses where del falls through the bar rodney asks mickey if he is doing a sponsored :censored: which I doubt a show filmed now would get away with showing at 2 o'clock in the afternoon.

EDIT: oh well, this post doesn't make any sense anymore now the censor has been through it.

I guess it means that you'll have to review the things you let your kids see before you let them see them. You can't really rely on other people's "censorship"/age classifications.

I think the (censored) thing looks quite spiffing and has comedic value all of its own. :)

this post was started by me as imformative and also comedic...im a 43 year old bricklayer..and i have heard everything anyone can imagine concerning swearing....but i dont want my 7 year old or five year old children to hear it "yet"....happy feet is an amazing movie and the extra parts should reflect the quality of the movie .Also....i never heard anyone in "monsters inc " calling mikey a "toss piece" etc etc ....im also annoyed that a mod on this forum censored my post from this word :censored:....to (censored)...but allowing my original concerns to go unnoticed and unanswered...films on hddvd are region free ,which is something i really care about as a consumer and customer...and the reason why i want hdvd to succeed over blurry-ray. therefore studios must take more care in compiling material for extras especially on movies aimed at children...this thread was started lightheartidly with humour...im not sure now what has happened...hhhmmmm:rolleyes:

Circumventing the swear word filter to get a swear word to show is against the forum rules.

See here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/view.php?pg=rules
Number 2.

If you have to insert * to stop the system automatically removing the swear word then you are breaking forum rule No.2.

You seem to be forgetting that all ages read these forums. Whilst you have concerns that youngsters can hear a swear word in Happy Feet, you don't seem to mind them reading it on a forum here.:confused:

I completely understand your original post and you have a completely valid point about the word used in Happy Feet, but please keep in mind all ages read this forum and stop posting swear words.

Thanks
Greg

I hadn't realised :censored: was available amongst the Smilies [More]. Much funnier to liberally disperse that amongst a sentence than using *s. :)

Greg,the offending line in the extra short is"he thinks your a w*nker and should go back to your own kind"....this is in the film...the film is aimed at children...i have only repeated what is on a dvd ,which is aimed at a young audience...i find it offensive to hear this in front of two very young children ,,,plus i had the intelligence to asterixx my parts of my post ...unlike the film makers....and im sure words in this post will be censored....unlike the movie....fer bloomin ells sake will people get the message my children are very young and i dont want them to repeat this sort of stuff yet...in 2 years time im sure they will hear this kind of language ....but not learnt from a film aimed at children i hope:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

I can understand and sympathize with the OP. Not a word you expect to hear on a kids film.

I do however remember back in the 80's an episode of Miami Vice called "Phil the shill" where Phil Collins used the word. This was aired on a Monday night at around 10pm - everybody in school the next day was joking about it - you just didn't hear that word on the tv back then!

basser, I think the mod has basically said that these forums are just like the DVD you are referring to, ie accessable by kiddies, so that is why he censored your post. Nothing more sinister than that.

basser, I think the mod has basically said that these forums are just like the DVD you are referring to, ie accessable by kiddies, so that is why he censored your post. Nothing more sinister than that.

Exactly.

The OP seems to think I disagree with his topic and that it shouldn't be discussed. Where he gets that from I have no idea. I am merely pointing out the posting of swear words that circumvent the filter is against the rules. Nothing more, nothing less. Please continue to discuss the topic, nothing wrong with that.

what certificate is the movie? Bear in mind its a US release so will follow their guidelines. Is the offending comment on the DVD release over here? If so, what certificate is that? I doubt that would pass on a 'U' over here, but probably on a PG.

The US is odd. Its more likely you'll get away with 'weed off' but not 'damn' as its religious. Also you often hear 'illegitimate child' but 'female dog' is not allowed.

They just find 'the word sounding a bit like the ****el engine' funny and not particularly offensive.

Whats OK for the US isn't OK for us, and vice versa

The film is a U in the UK, and the UK DVD is the same, which would suggest that it is missing the extra with the language in question.

It might also explain why the UK HD-DVD or Blu-ray versions have not made an appearance in this country (as Warner usually just make a direct copy of the US version), as it would almost certainly raise the rating of the disc to a 12.

:thumbsup:
what certificate is the movie? Bear in mind its a US release so will follow their guidelines. Is the offending comment on the DVD release over here? If so, what certificate is that? I doubt that would pass on a 'U' over here, but probably on a PG.

The US is odd. Its more likely you'll get away with 'weed off' but not 'damn' as its religious. Also you often hear 'illegitimate child' but 'female dog' is not allowed.

They just find 'the word sounding a bit like the ****el engine' funny and not particularly offensive.

Whats OK for the US isn't OK for us, and vice versa

thanks Richard, i think you understood my post.I want hd-dvd to come second in the hd wars(as im sure hd on demand will win in the end)the reason is they have no region encoding...but language issues may appear as per my original post...i hope the studios keep hd-dvd region free and also ensure that any film can be played in any country....thats asking a lot i know...but it will pay off with more customers buying films:clap:

Rest easy everyone. I have an Australian friend who has confirmed my suspicion.

He's not making reference to any onanistic tendencies, he's using the Australian word "Whacker" which is a bit like the English/American word "whacko" meaning a bit stupid or mad.

If you listen carefully there is a distinct lack of "n" sound in the middle of the word. "Whacker" is exactly the sort of non-insult insult that a family film like this would use - the sort of thing mums call their children when they're behaving stupidly.

Hope I've not spoilt the fun.

youngsters in an audiophile forum????
that wont be too many i think

im from Holland and on dutch forums i have never seen a swearword filter or anything like that

(i dont know if thats a good thing or not)

i guess i forgot this is an english located forum

but i agree
in some kidsmovies there are words that are not really "needed" and could easily have left out

maybe we/i are getting too old.....

oh dam you Theo....now i will have to remove my Mary Whitehouse picture off my wall...i will get drummed out of the tv viewers association as well....if it wasnt for all your medllin i would of got away with it:devil:

Basser, sorry about that! :rotfl: but all you need to do is unlock the Easter Egg on the disk to find the bit where the Robin williams character calls one of the Hispanic penguins a
censored.gif
censored.gif
-
censored.gif
ing
censored.gif
er!

:eek:

;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom