swapping v2 for a v1

J

jmack

how would someone go about doing this?

could you just phone sky and ask or is it better to do it private?

cheers guys

i was just asking about swapping a version 2 box for a version one . and how to go about it?

reason the being i have my version 2 box sitting on same shelf as my iscan ultra , which is black so i though about matching it up colour wise?

version 2 white/silver looking

version 1 black

only the centre panel of v1 is black,the rest is still mainly silver,technically the v1 box is said to be more stable and trouble free.

sorry i may have misread the thread,i assumed you are talking about sky+boxes,but if you are just referring to sky,then i wouldnt swap boxes as v1 are very slow due to low processor speeds so you,ll notice real slow functions etc even changing channels appears to be slow

Steps:
  • Buy a Sky+ version 1 digibox (a Pace 3000) on eBay, or elsewhere secondhand.
  • Unplug "old" version 2 box
  • Plug in "new" version 1 box
  • Force a software upgrade
  • Move card from old to new
  • Phone Sky and tell them you've swapped the box. They'll ask you to read out serial numbers
  • Wait until all channels back on line

Optional steps:
  • Sell Sky+ version 2 on eBay
  • Get SDI mod for Sky+ version 1
  • Upgrade hard disc to 120GB

I bought my own Sony digibox for Sky digital years ago, because I hated the one Sky supplied. It's easy as you like to swap card with box.

StooMonster

can i just sell my v2 stu ? ive only had it a week

cheers

v1 with sdi mod + iscan hd = all in good time:D :D :D

Sorry to stray off topic but what is "sdi mod"?

Something to do with an extra output i think.

\\Chris

Originally posted by jmack
can i just sell my v2 stu ? ive only had it a week
Don't understand the question jmack, or if you are joking or if having a moral dillema or buyer's remorse?

Originally posted by Tesla
Sorry to stray off topic but what is "sdi mod"?

Something to do with an extra output i think.
SDI or Serial Digital Interface is used in broadcast television to move data (television programmes) about.

It is possible to modify some (but not all) DVD players, Sky digiboxes, etc to output this digital signal of raw data rather than an analogue RGBs signal.

This SDI can only be seen by the likes of a scaler, that will then utilise this signal to construct a picture for display; ideally the display also has a digital connections such as DVI or HDMI giving an "all digital signal path" and therefore the best quality picture.

It's a pretty hardcore mod, and you need sophisticated equipment to utilise it.

StooMonster

update

sky been out today and swapped my v2 for v1 now i have a much better picture .. with no soft focus problem alot more detail on faces at disanstes:D :D :D

maybe i should ask for a rebate too;) ;)

jmack I have been told that soft focus is a fault in the Version 2 and Ver 1 is much better!!! When u say u now have ver 2 can u just confirm it is the smaller silver one? I am holding back because of this pic problem but maybe it has been fixed.

And are u using S-Video or RGB?

thanks

gbmitie

your correct it affects the v2 , that why i swapped to v1 its a bigger box (not as sexy looking) but its silent all working and had much better picture.

i was told by pace that they done a software/firmware fix for the v2 but its up to sky to implement it. and sky have no plans on it yet.. maybe in the next software update.. thats if you can get them to say there is a fault.

you need to go higher than customers services before they admit there is.

the lack of detail on the v2 boxes is worse than pal/composite on my old digital box.

Originally posted by jmack
update

sky been out today and swapped my v2 for v1 now i have a much better picture .. with no soft focus problem alot more detail on faces at disanstes:D :D :D

maybe i should ask for a rebate too;) ;)

Glad you've got it sorted to your satisfaction, just a shame SKY haven't been more pro-active in this situation after all the original fault is with the hardware so the cost and work involved in correcting this fault is mainly down to PACE anyway.

A request for a rebate is reasonable although SKY would have to go on record and admit there was a technical fault, mind you that may be the proverbial straw that could force a solution be it a software patch or hardware swap.

jdmack thank for quick reply, I am messing about here trying to buy a pc and help people with sat susyems that I am getting confused!!!

I may go for a ver1 if I can get it secondhand or maybe I will wait until October 2004 and then Sky might have done something.

It is interesting that with 250,000 there is not more complaints about the pic quality.

gbmitie

try www.digitalspy.co.uk there enough complaints there.

the picture quality differance is really something. i`m watching lord of the rings now on sky movies and in a blind test you would think it was a top dvd player.

and football and news readers faces have much more detail

Jmack,

Cool - this is just the info I was hoping for.

I own a plasma screen like you, and have been thinking of upgrading from old Sky, to Sky+, for a few weeks now. I've been in two minds as I had read about the poor picture on the v2 boxes. I emailed Sky and Pace but did not get a reply from either. In the end, I decided to bite the bullet and bid on a v1 box from ebay. I won, and it should be delivered early next week.

Glad I made the right decision!

S

i think crt tv are more simpathetic to bad pictures sources. if its a bad picture our plasma`s will show it more, it was hell of a shock going from ntl digital that was good picture quality to sky+2....:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

it was only having a sky digital in another part of the house so i could compare between sky+ box and 5 year old digital box. that really showed how bad and lack of detail there was.

watching spiderman on sky movies no and you would swear it was dvd.

I've always thought my v2 box was soft focused, I just want them to fix it now!

(Whilst I wait to see what the Amstrad Sky+ looks like)

StooMonster

We decided to get Sky+ (despite slagging Murdoch off to all and sundry). This thread has made interesting reading, because on our 28" CRT telly, the picture quality has improved dramatically over the Panasonic Sky box it replaces. The old box had a lot of digital artifacts and glitches: the new Sky+ box has a far more stable picture, but it's still sharp.

Does the soft focus problem only occur on playback? We've not had this feature activated yet, but the 'live' broadcasts seem far superior to the old box.

it effects only sky+ v2 boxes, i think its more noticable on bigger screens though. my problem was that my 5 year old pace box was 5 times shaper picture than the brand new v2 box.

have a v1 now, very happy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom