Swapping to a new Sky Router that was not supplied by Sky

MV Owner

Standard Member
Hi All,

I have a Sky Broadband account with a Sky Router that has 2 ethernet ports.

I also have a newer Sky 'Hub' Router which has 4 ethernet ports. This hub was not provided by Sky but I have the passcode.

When plugging in the newer Sky Hub it will not allow access to the internet (despite me having the passcode). According to Sky this is an issue where the new Sky Hub is incompatible with my existing wiring. I do not believe this to be honest as they have advised if I recontract with Sky then they will supply the new Sky Hub but no alterations are required to the wiring!

I would be appreciative if anyone could advise if there are any settings I have to adjust to allow the newer Sky Hub to work with my existing wiring.

Kind regards

MV

mjn

Distinguished Member
All i can say is good luck. Although some on the interwebs say it is possible, i had zero luck.

Kirkk

All i can say is good luck. Although some on the interwebs say it is possible, i had zero luck.

Likewise. I tried every trick the internet told me should work. Not a chance. I even found a thread with the exact same router as me and still didn't work.

mh123

Is the whole point of changing the router to get yourself an extra couple of ethernet ports?

If so, keep the old router and add an ethernet switch instead - brand new a 5 port 10/100 can be had for about £7 from your favourite box shifting website. You'll also need a short ethernet cable to join them - another £1 maybe unless you have a spare.

MV Owner

Standard Member
The router became available so I grabbed it. If needing a couple of extra ports I will go for a switch yes

iqoniq

Can you not use your supplied router in modem mode, and then use the router you bought as a switch? Some old models of BT routers (the black curvy ones) were really good for this. Failing that I'd go with what mh123 says and get a switch, especially as they're usually plug and play and don't require any set-up.

RobinOfLoxley

I was caught out many years ago by ethernet cables.

Routers and Switches use standard cables.
If you ever want direct connection, computer port to computer port, use a Crossover Ethernet Cable (2 wires inside are transposed).
Less likely these days unless you tinker.

But you buying a Switch is probably best.

mjn

Distinguished Member
I was caught out many years ago by ethernet cables.

Routers and Switches use standard cables.
If you ever want direct connection, computer port to computer port, use a Crossover Ethernet Cable (2 wires inside are transposed).
Less likely these days unless you tinker.

But you buying a Switch is probably best.
Most switches can detect a standard cable these days and change mode of port to crossover.

Stellavision

Assuming that the hub you have acquired is the hub 4.2 then it only plugs in to the telephone socket via an adsl cable and there are no different internal wiring configurations required. It should not make a difference whether you got the hub directly from Sky or elsewhere.
However, there are two versions of the hub, the SR203s (black label) and SR204s (grey label). The latter is specifically for G.Fast so check that you haven’t got one of these.

topgazza

Distinguished Member
I bought a new "Q" SR203 off eBay plugged it in to replace my older "Q" box and it worked perfectly. Doesn't matter where you buy them from. As Stellavision says check its not the direct fibre model, G.fast

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom