1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapping Stereo Amp (NAD C320BEE) for AV Amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stokie Dave, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all... firstly a quick rundown of specs:

NAD C320BEE
    Sony CDPXE330 CD Player
    Monitor Audio Bronze B2 Speakers
    Old Sony MHCRX90 mini system for tuner and tape
    PC linked up for mp3's via Videologic Sonic Fury Sound Card
    QED Qunex 1 interconnects

Issue:

Liking my newish setup in a way but not in another (the amp and speakers are new, replaced a Marantz PM4000 and Eltax Monitor III's)... I primarily listen to dance music and think I've hit a brick wall having a sort of fairly competent stereo setup. It sounds lovely with any good recording, guitar stuff, vocal stuff, basically anything which ISNT dance music which is primarily what I blare outta the thing!

Dont get me wrong, it sounds alright... but by no means breathtakingly better than my old cheap Marantz PM4000 amp and Eltax Monitor III speakers setup. I am convinced my amp is just too 'clean' for the dodgy sound quality of me dance music vinyls (I DJ a bit), mp3's and CD's. The odd few have mint quality recordings but in general it's cheaply produced stuff. I am thinking I fancy a bit of a change back into the ways of yesteryear with some gadgetary and volume (although the nad is v. loud!) and was thinking of going for a 5.1 surround styleee amp/reciever/tuner combo. As the specs above show, I use an old mini system for the tuner/tape but I am seriously low on space so I want rid of this and was thinking the built in tuner in most recievers will be a bonus.

I dont know a lot about AV amps but I know, in general for stereo use, a dedicated stereo setup is better. In the near future I'm moving out into my own place and was gonna use my stereo in the main living area... but I think a 5.1 home cinema setup in me house would be cool too, especially if it twins as a stereo setup for tunes.

Also with me DJ'ing, a couple of small rear cubes of some sort would be good for a bit of 'club style' with some DSP effects on the go when mates are around for a bit of a mess about on the decks... ok not strictly a big sound quality move there but tbh I am fed up of dance music sounding crap as time goes on anyway so it'd probably improve the sound in some form or another!!

I know this thread just sounds stupid and some of you will be horrified of me thinking of swapping but anyways: do you recommend a particular AV amp with tuner built in for around the 250ish quid max mark? I was looking at the Sony STR-DB795 - seems be getting a decent amount of good reviews but I don't know what it's like for stereo as I've only read excerpts of said reviews generally next to the product on shopping sites. Outright power isn't important but pretty good music performance would be great aswell as half decent home cinema performance for when the time comes...

The Sony one for example, model STRDB795 - looks sw@nky, well featured and I generally like the sound from Sony stuff, relatively smooth yet lively, I've had a bit of Sony kit in the past and enjoyed it. Also fond of Marantz kit but not their reliability!! Had troubles there with me old amp as have mates with Marantz amps... so not sure what their AV kit fairs like in that aspect.

Anyway, any feedback/recommendations gratefully recieved. Cheers for getting this far :thumbsup:

2. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone? :D Much appreciated :)

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  4. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I kinda dont have enough space to keep the NAD :( Dont get me wrong, sound quality is generally sweet as a nut! With the right music anyway :) Just lacks low end extention for my needs compared to what my old Marantz had. I kinda like the typical quite warm big sound from Sony kit so thats why I liked the amp I mentioned above.

I have Gale XL315 cable but I'd swap this to something like QED Silver Anniversary as soon as I get the new amp, or sooner as I get chance.

I've heard a LOT of people say there are reliability probs with the new CA Azur range... so that kinda puts me off... I want me stuff to work for a change after tons of probs with my old setups lol.

Ta for the reply :)

Does anyone on here use their AV amp (budget ones especially) for music playback more than movies? I think I just want some toys again without having to have a dodgy all in one thing!

Cheers.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Dave,
    I think the general concensus is that an AV amp is a compromise. What a lot of people do is use the AV amp as a pre amp and then use a seperate power amp to drive the front speakers thus giving you the benefit of 5.1 but with half decent stereo playback as well. It does mean an extra box but by what i've heard of AV amps in a stereo only setup it's not a bad way to go. Unless you have a few thousand to spend on an AV amp.

6. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hehe I wish I did have a few £K to play with but oh well... maybe my best solution for the time being could be to swap my amp for something like a Marantz PM7200 as hopefully it'll be similar sound to my PM4000 but with more powah :clap:

I'll do a bit of digging :) Thanks mate.

7. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    haev to go with knightshade here.... av amps generalyl speaking are appalling for stereo. the nad amp should be ok to be honest- it coudl be the metal dome tweeters of the MA's showing up too many flaws in ur choons dude.

look for some soft dome tweeter speakrs e.g. wharfedale diamonds, quad 12ls etc :)

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I would recommend upgrading to Qed silver as it will bring out more sound and bass than the gale. I upgraded from gale stuff and the dufference was noticable.

I have read on a reveiw site that the sony cdp you have is 'light and tinny with little bass' :eek: NOT at all good for dance music. What about going to richer sounds and getting a Nad 521BEE or a marantz sr5400 and take advantage of there 16 days like it or return it deal:devil:
    http://www.richersounds.sv01.net/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=301569
    I feel the cdp is your main problem.:(

9. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I kinda wish I'd kept my old Eltax Monitor III's and Marantz PM4000 lol :)

I do like these speakers... for the time being I'd like to keep 'em as they're pretty impressive. I think new cable will help though so I'll have to order some of that soon.

I guess my sources could be the problem now I have a more competent amp according to the reviewers! I was thinking about getting a new sound card as my current one (Videologic Sonic Fury) is pretty old now. I listen to a lot of mp3's ya see (much more so than CD's at the mo). I guess the matching NAD CD player would be cool but I still like the idea of some gadgets on an AV amp heh :)

I might start a new post as this one aint had too many views, asking which is the best AV amp for under 250 which can cope with audio aswell... I just cant find the space to have a dedicated stereo setup plus start getting some AV kit on the go too now I'm watching a few more films etc.

BTW generally all the reviews I've read for my CD Player have been quite good.. but then again it is a budget player on mid range kit now :)

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Where do you live Stokie Dave? Is it possible to try and get some deom's of suitable equiptment as theis is THE only real way of telling if your gonna buy an AV amp and like the sound in stereo.

You can pick up the Audigy 1 series quite cheap now and they work nicely (for a PC sound card) or a N-force 2 board if you have an AND chip.

11. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I live in Stoke-on-Trent so I have a local Richer Sounds (if they can be arsed to do any demoing... lol) and a Superfi too.

I heard something about M-Audio cards being good stuff for the dosh? My PC is basically based around a P4 3.2GHz, Abit IC7-G mobo, 1 gig dual channel DDR ram so any run of the mill decent sound card will work fine... mines good but... if I can do better for a good price I might aswell :D

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    If you pick up a new sound card try to get one with an optical out so you can connect the pc to the av amp with an digital connection for the best sound.

Superfi should be worth a visit :devil:

13. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the tip mate :) I am pretty set on a Marantz SR5400 now, seem to be great with dance and rock which is essentially all I need, plus I am sure will seem brill to me for movies being a newbie and all. £200 quid seems too good to turn down!

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have also found the Marantz sr5400 OSE for £269 at www.petertyson.co.uk If you can stretch to get that its better in stereo then the normal 5400 with other upgrades to it. There is a review on top of this forum for the OSE version:smashin:

15. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the SR5400 vanilla would be fine. I was thinking about the Sony STR-DB795 too but more than likely will get the Marantz once I sell my NAD C320BEE.

Does anyone know any links to reviews of the SR5400? I've only found a couple online :(

Cheers all :D

16. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just for reference what hifi slated it (5400 not OSE) and said it wasnt worth the price premeum over the 4400.

Im sure if you put the Nad on these forums it will sell quite quickly. I would strongly recommend that you read the rules first though or ask a MOD.

I would love to hear it myself but have a Rotel pre amp sitting arround gathering dust if I want pure stereo:devil:

Go be a :devil: and get the OSE you know you want it. If you dont you will always be wondering how much difference it would have made:eek:

17. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hehe but my missus is moaning already about me spending more on stuff again ;)

What HiFi... hmm gone off em, they raved about the NAD and it disappointed for my tastes so I think I'll listen to the users for a change hehe.. If I dont like it I'll just sell it on, seems to be the name of my game just lately! I even own www.davesdodgydeals.co.uk I keep selling so much on :p

Cheers though, will check out the rules incase I've made a mistake :blush:

BTW 4400 is £180 and 5400 £200 so I spose I wouldn't be loosing a massive amount if what hifi are right.