• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Swapping standard sky box for sky +

smiffs

Standard Member
Hi folks, first post but already had lots of advice previously so thanks for that....

I have a standard Sky box, single cable from dish. I want to buy a Sky+ box, simply to use as a PVR and use the basic Sky + facility of pause, rewind, series link etc.

I am not bothered about the second cable from the dish (I have full sky + elsewher in the house) and recording 2 programmes at once etc.

If I swap the original box for a sky+ box, what facilities will or will not be available? Is it indeed that simple? :eek:

Thanks! :smashin:

kdc

You'll get live pause and rewind aswell as the ability to record the programme you are watching but as you can imagine you don't get the ability to record something else....

fernandez

Distinguished Member
AFAIK you'll also need to phone Sky CS to have the + facilities activated on the card

naziern

Standard Member
Hi I have bought a second user sky+ box from fleabay for the same reasons as you. I have a bog standard sky box at the moment without a valid subscription as I only watch the freeview channels.

Do I still need to pay Sky for the privelige of using the Sky+ box to record programmes? if so any ideas of cost?

Thanks

Naz

F1DashNine

Standard Member
Similar issue:

After my HD upgrade, I moved the Sky+ box into another room to replace a Digibox. So it's still on the single dish cable, but with Multiroom.

I put the Digibox card into the Sky+ box and paired the card up with Sky.

Initially it looked good, but some (non clashing) recordings have since failed, and I couldn't playback some previous recordings (made with the original master card, which is now in the HD box). I get "Recording Interrupted". Sky+ worked fine before move.

After I attempt to playback a non-playing recording I can't playback one that did playback again without rebooting the box

Rewind, live pause, etc. work OK.

Does it matter which of the two connections the single dish cable is in?

Should I be able to play back recordings made with another card?

Don't understand why it doesn't work properly!

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Similar issue:

After my HD upgrade, I moved the Sky+ box into another room to replace a Digibox. So it's still on the single dish cable, but with Multiroom.

I put the Digibox card into the Sky+ box and paired the card up with Sky.

Initially it looked good, but some (non clashing) recordings have since failed, and I couldn't playback some previous recordings (made with the original master card, which is now in the HD box). I get "Recording Interrupted". Sky+ worked fine before move.

After I attempt to playback a non-playing recording I can't playback one that did playback again without rebooting the box

Rewind, live pause, etc. work OK.

Does it matter which of the two connections the single dish cable is in?

Should I be able to play back recordings made with another card?

Don't understand why it doesn't work properly!

Already answered by myself (WW) and riando on DS.

mentm

SKY+ with one aerial will only record if the box is already on the right channel, since sky normally uses the second aerial to record and will just return a signal not received error. It's easy to run a second cable if you have a spare socket on your lnb.

mn9ajas

I'm interested in doing exactly the same. I would be going from a standard sky setup (with skysports package) to sky+ but just have a few questions:

1) Can someone just confirm that it won't cost any extra to use the Sky+ facilities once installed (with a double coax cable and suitable LNB) as I have the sports package.

2) Do sky charge you for pairing the card with the new box?

3) What are the better make sky+ boxes to go for?

4) Where is the best place to get a reasonably priced 2nd hand box other than Ebay?

Last edited:

Broadz

Distinguished Member
1) Can someone just confirm that it won't cost any extra to use the Sky+ facilities once installed (with a double coax cable and suitable LNB) as I have the sports package.
What does the sports package have to do with anything? Sky+ is free to anybody who subscribes to any Sky TV.

2) Do sky charge you for pairing the card with the new box?
Only the cost of a phonecall. Which is free if you have SkyTalk.

3) What are the better make sky+ boxes to go for?
Pace seem to be most people's favourite. I've had Pace and Amstrad Sky+ boxes - both were fine.

4) Where is the best place to get a reasonably priced 2nd hand box other than Ebay?
Don't know of anywhere else that openly sells second hand goods - maybe a car boot sale or a jumble sale? Free ads? Classifieds in a local newspaper? Or ask around in case any friends have upgraded to Sky HD and no longer need their old Sky+ box.

mn9ajas

Cheers Broadz for your comments. My reference to Sky Sports was because I remembered when Sky+ first came out you only got it free if you had Movies or Sky Sports packages, otherwise it was £10 a month more.

Having looked at Sky's site again, I notice this stipulation has gone now.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom