Swapping projector for large TV?

Batdog

Hi all

As per thread title, just wondered if anyone had considered or actually swapped their pj for a large TV?

I’ve owned a pj for 14 years now, currently own a JVC X7900 in a batcave environment. When I’m in the mood, the image and experience is fantastic.

The reason I’m pondering this is that, as I’m getting older, I’m finding myself less and less inclined to want to sit in a fully darkened room, it sometimes feels quite oppressive. Whilst it’s an experience, it also doesn’t lend itself to casual viewing, just sticking it on for an episode of something here and there. It also gets used far less in Summer due to the heat and finally, I’m looking to get a PS5 soon and I could possibly refit the room into something more cosy and create a pleasant multi purpose entertainment room.

Has anyone gone through a similar thought process? A decent big 4K tv could give me 120hz gaming and make full use of 4K material, HDR etc. It would certainly win on convenience and I could move away from the ‘devore on the walls’ type requirement for getting a good image. On the downside, once in a while the pj offers an absolutely amazing experience, like this week when I stuck ‘The Terminator’ on.

I think also that there possibly isn’t an ideal size for viewing vs gaming? My screen is 110”, it’s amazing for films etc, but is too big for gaming. The max tv size I guess would be 75” and I’m just wondering about the balance between one against the other, whether even 75” would seem too big for gaming, yet too small for movies?

I’m going to go and have a look at some big TVs for inspiration, but would love to hear thoughts from anyone that has been through a similar thought process? I think a big factor that plays with my mind in this decision, is the knowledge that a decision to move to using a TV would be a final decision. I feel that once I uninstall the projector and alter the room for a TV, that will be it, I’ll never own a projector again. I guess that is the sentimental side coming out. A niggling feeling that I’ve moved on from the projector but not wanting to admit I’m getting old and not wanting to let go! Realistically the reason I bought my first projector a Panasonic AX100 in late 2006 as a 120” screen for £1,100 was amazing value and I was impressed with the PQ. Back then large TVs were a lot more expensive, smaller and had many drawbacks in image quality. The situation now is almost reversed, with incredible image quality on large screens at quite affordable prices. Decisions decisions!!

Cheers

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Get a 77'' OLED and an electronic ceiling mounted PJ screen.

For films, going from 100'' to 77'' is massive drop down in size and immersion but 77'' is nice enough.

Then imagine putting some black bars on both of those.

Your other option (if being in the dark is an issue) is a switch to ALR so you can introduce some ambient light. I do sometimes also get a bit fed up watching stuff in a totally blacked out room as some content is just easier to watch with a bit of light on (football, TV shows which aren't very cinematic).

My personal advised setup is:
1. ALR screen
2. PJ
3. 77'' OLED

The PJ becomes somewhat of a Swiss army knife, with ambient light being able to be introduced so its just a bit easier to watch.

The 77'' OLED acts as a reference monitor and single player competitive gaming display whilst also being the perfect device to use during the daytime or when you need ALL the lights on.

Last edited:

raz77

I have the same projector and a bat cave like you. I did see the Samsung q80 85 inch fald TV for £2499 at Argos yesterday. I was thinking the same but not sure I could give up a 120 inch screen. Watched latest Madalorian episode last night and it looked amazing. I think would I get a better hdr experience with the TV, trade off would be the larger screen I have with my projector. I am staying put with the projector as the experience even a 85 inch could not give me.

Last edited:

GrazzaB

That Samsung is a very good price for the tech and screen size considering it’s one step off the top model. Also at 85” I think you’re basically big enough screen wise to take the drop from a larger PJ screen and still get a really immersive image. Also you’ve got a dedicated room which is the only way I can see an 85” TV actually being practical.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
That Samsung is a very good price for the tech and screen size considering it’s one step off the top model. Also at 85” I think you’re basically big enough screen wise to take the drop from a larger PJ screen and still get a really immersive image. Also you’ve got a dedicated room which is the only way I can see an 85” TV actually being practical.

Here is 85 vs 77. I don't think losing out on the myriad of benefits of an OLED panel re: gaming are worth it over going for the Samsung too.

Projectors and TVs are just different tools for different jobs. Projector is a no-compromise experience and given you've treated your room, must be extraordinary.

A TV is a compromised experience in regards to immersion but offers fantastic versatility, better PQ but a significantly smaller size. It also has its own technical problems whether you go OLED or LCD (banding, DSE, blooming, dirty whites, motion issues etc.)

I own a pretty big TV and a PJ. The TV is a big TV. an amazing TV but it never wows me or guests. They just think 'wow thats a big TV'. When the projector comes down, its otherworldly.

I think once we start getting 95'' panels, we are going to bridge the gap for immersion in small rooms and PJs will then only be for those wanting a 100''+ image. Not sure when that day will come given an 88'' OLED costs £25,000+ and is still not big enough.

howieeb

I think it comes down to whether you want a cinematic experience vs. a lounge experience. The former, for me, if the kind of thing you block out time for. Tonight we're watching Robocop. The latter a place you hang around in and do whatever. See what's on the tele, play some games. ofc there's overlap. Gaming on a pj is great and same with watching tv shows, but i'd never go to the home cinema without a plan, if that makes sense?

A hybrid might suit? Brighter, less critical room. Dropdown screen over large flat panel.

GrazzaB

I do agree @kenshingintoki that the experience is a totally different one - for cinematic effect you absolutely cannot beat a projector. I absolutely love watching movies and playing games on my JVC, it’s always fantastic (113” screen). But if the original poster is getting tired of having to sit in a pitch black room then I do think there is merit in that kind of QLED screen, and at 85” I think you’re at a big enough image size to get used to the drop after a few days.

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I do agree @kenshingintoki that the experience is a totally different one - for cinematic effect you absolutely cannot beat a projector. I absolutely love watching movies and playing games on my JVC, it’s always fantastic (113” screen). But if the original poster is getting tied of having to sit in a pitch black room then I do think there is merit in that kind of QLED screen, and at 85” I think you’re at a big enough image size to get used to the drop after a few days.

Yup :)

I'd edge towards a 77'' OLED over 85'' LCD. OLED is more otherworldly PQ wise, without as much issues with blooming and halos which will be very visible in a dark room and as I showed in the image size comparison, surprisingly 77 and 85 don't look that different.

alebonau

its a good question and there is no cookie cutter response. We all have our own needs and how they are satisfied is going to vary... I myself run a dual screen setup, so no one screen has to satisfy all needs.

id very much encourage this approach if your needs are split

... yes a TV you can just switch on in any environment. however there are some real limitations with TVs...

size vs viewing distance... TVs are still size limited ... so in reality you need to sit quite close comparatively to them for both immersion (eg to THX spec) or for that matter to resolve 4k let alone 1080p resolution..

eg 77" for immersion to THX spec you need to be sitting at 2.4m to view...and wile will resolve 1080p at ~3m you'd need to sit at 1m to 1.5m to fully resolve 4k ... which I doubt anyone will do

compare that to the 110"

3.3m viewing distance for immersion to THX spec...while 4.3m to resolve 1080p... 1370-2m to fully resolve 4k ...

then there is pure picture quality ... the very large TVs at any sort of sane price are actually pretty average in viewing... LCDs have poor zone dimming, some even edge lit ! which is silly given size of these TVs... OLED in large sizes is crazy priced... its going to be a looong time before OLEDs are available at any sort of sane pricing in screen sizes typical with priojectors

so I feel this discussion of swapping protection for a large TV is still limited in what large TVs are and what can achieve...

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Getting too old for the whole projector experience in a dark room and yet talking about gaming on a PS5, that cracks me up :laugh:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I don't have a dedicated room, but I made various additions (curtains/covers) that I can set up before watching a film to give the front 2-3 metres of the room a jet black velvet 'tunnel'. Trouble is that it takes a bit of setting up and I get lazy and can't be bothered, so end up just watching stuff on a 50" TV rather than the 3 meter wide screen most of the time.

I tend to only bother setting it up for a Saturday night as I don't like to watch without all the black velvet set up as the picture looks poor without. I can't/won't go ALR screen as I like AT and I'd need an even brighter projector than my X7500 to light one up (even if such a thing as an ALR AT screen exists).

Therefore I've often considered a larger TV instead. Trouble is that I'd be watching everything on it, so most (2.40:1) films I watch would generally be smaller than most (16:9) TV content I'd be watching the rest of the week. That means films would lose the impact they currently have switching from a 50" TV to 3 metre wide 2.40:1 screen.

The other issue is that IMHO a big 75" TV just looks awful in a living room, so I even considered keeping my existing 50" TV for day to day use and then having some kind of cover over a larger TV for film use behind. My existing TV goes down on a lift out of the way of the screen, so it would be possible.

I'd have to raise my LCR speakers above the top of this new TV, but I could put them behind some AT material. I sit 4.5 metres back, so the angled baffle of my MK MPS300 speakers does give the impression that the sound comes from the existing TV: The LCR are currently just above where the 50" TV is, so I have some experience of this effect. I think not seeing the speakers also helps with this illusion.

I'm currently trying to modify my existing room darkening arrangement to make it easier to set up. Plus I'm getting some quotes for a different AT screen which will clean up the 'day to day' look of the room. Depending on how I get on, I may review having a projector after this winter and see about going for a bigger TV, but one that is hidden from view day to day.

My current set up, for those not familiar:
Finish door closed.jpg

My LCR could be raised up to where the wallpapered door is now as can be seen in this in-build picture:
Bye bye MPS300s.jpg

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I always liked you existing setup but do get the idea of the hassle of adapting just to watch a movie etc. Is automated curtains an option where the touch of a button the room adapts without you doing anything?

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
It's a nice idea in theory, but the blinds and main house curtains are already electric, on different remotes :rolleyes: due to poor planing. The Devore side curtains take seconds to pull out, but the screen top 'door' and attaching the Devore panel above the screen is a faff (I'm short so need a step to reach!). Likewise taking down all the ornaments and clipping the 'base' Devore panel across the Oak shelf and onto the wall is a bit fiddly too.

It's worth it from a picture quality point of view as the X7500 looks stunning, especially with the Lumagen DTM upgrades this year. It's just that I'd like to make it slicker (maybe the ceiling cover would just pull out from above the pelmet for example, like a horizontal blind), so I'd be more inclined to use it during the week. I've only got about 250 hours on my X7500 and I think I've had it 3 years. :blush:

I could take the 'Grand Designs' view of a 'cinema room' and just decorate it white, but I appreciate good picture quality, so it's my own fault for being picky I guess. My garage is earmarked for becoming a recording studio/music room and I wouldn't want to go out there in the depths of winter, so a proper dedicated room isn't an option: It does iritate me though when I see a proper dedicated room and it's all light colours, reflective surfaces (including movie posters :rolleyes:), visible speakers and equipment.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I’m pretty sure that from your viewing distance to the screen you could go for an acoustic ALR screen and you wouldn’t see the micro holes.
32A4FE1E-845F-496A-8EF3-F5CEA5D3D087.jpeg

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Maybe not, but I'd hear the difference: Micro holes aren't a patch on woven screens by all accounts in sound quality terms. Plus I'd need a brighter projector as that would be lower gain than my Seymour XD and I don't like to run in high lamp.

A big grey screen would be more obvious in my room day to day I think too. Maybe I'm fooling myself on that score though, but we've got used to the screen behind the TV and view it more like a feature wall, especially with the coloured down-lighters on it for Christmas effect. :D

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
ALR screen for sure with a light room like thAt. Looks awesome

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I just measured up how big an 85" TV* would be just for interest's sake. It would fit below the line of where my current top 'door' is in the picture further back and be about 4" wider than the lower section of Oak (obviously I'd centre the TV ;) ).

While obviously bigger than the existing 50", it's not what I'd consider huge from my seat, especially once you crop off the top and bottom for 2.40:1 content, which seems to be the vast majority of my film viewing.

To be honest, if I was willing to downsize that far, then I could probably make my pull out Devore much easier to set up.

ALR screen for sure with a light room like thAt. Looks awesome

No way...I'd have to use high lamp all the time. Much better to have a proper white screen and use black velvet. I just need to find a way to make it easier to set up. These are views of how it is when the projector is in use:

Devore side view.jpg

From my seat (taken during daytime with the house curtains open to give enough light for the photo):
MLP view.jpg

Then during a film:
Everest 2.jpg

A TV has got nothing on that...

*There happened to be one on Richer Sounds about the same price as a new AT screen would be. Anything bigger goes up exponentially anyway.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I just measured up how big an 85" TV* would be just for interest's sake. It would fit below the line of where my current top 'door' is in the picture further back and be about 4" wider than the lower section of Oak (obviously I'd centre the TV ;) ).

While obviously bigger than the existing 50", it's not what I'd consider huge from my seat, especially once you crop off the top and bottom for 2.40:1 content, which seems to be the vast majority of my film viewing.

To be honest, if I was willing to downsize that far, then I could probably make my pull out Devore much easier to set up.

No way...I'd have to use high lamp all the time. Much better to have a proper white screen and use black velvet. I just need to find a way to make it easier to set up. These are views of how it is when the projector is in use:

View attachment 1416910

From my seat (taken during daytime with the house curtains open to give enough light for the photo):
View attachment 1416911

Then during a film:
View attachment 1416913

A TV has got nothing on that...

*There happened to be one on Richer Sounds about the same price as a new AT screen would be. Anything bigger goes up exponentially anyway.

would you really need to use high lamp? I used an Epson 9300 and low lamp was enough for SDR medium for HDR (cos of the filter) no issues with a dealer react ALR.

I’m just imagining in your room due to all the whites light must be bouncing everywhere so an ALR would dramatically improve the black level and contrast but if you are happy with what you have then perfect :)

I know luminated even in a treated room benefited from a grey screen to improve black level

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
But yes I agree. No TV can compare to a PJ. The experience between 95 and 77 is big. So 100+ it just becomes ridiculous.

For gaming I think I do see why you’d want to upgrade though, especially for native resolution and games do seem to be more reliant on contrast to look real.

my personal all purpose Ht setup will involve an OLED and a Projector but it is expensive and difficult pill to swallow for whichever device ends up not getting used much.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I’m just imagining in your room due to all the whites light must be bouncing everywhere so an ALR would dramatically improve the black level and contrast but if you are happy with what you have then perfect
Didn't you see the pictures with the black Devore pulled out and set up? I'd never watch with the room as it is, for the reasons you say.

I'm effectively viewing on a 135" diagonal and it's an AT screen with barely 1.0 gain (actual as opposed to what the manufacturers claim), so yes I'd need to use high lamp: I currently just manage to have the aperture a couple of clicks down from fully open when watching HDR content and normal lamp. I use a Lumagen for dynamic tone mapping, which does an amazing job, but there are limits to the brightness I can get away with and still have a punchy image. There is a little in hand for lamp dimming, so I wouldn't want to be any worse in terms of screen gain without needing high lamp.

Black level is amazing on a JVC X7500, so I don't think I'd gain anything putting an ALR into a treated room. Whether I'd put one in the room and do away with the Devore is moot as it would be too obvious when not in use, whereas the white screen seems more like a plain wall.

I agree that for SDR I'd have more in hand though; I think I run with the aperture less than half way open and still reach a (measured) 14fL.

I don't game at all, so that's not a consideration for me, unlike the OP.

iamsludge

I was inspired by Kelvin a long time ago and made my own version of put up take down Devore tunnel. My walls and ceiling are white so I use Devore across the ceiling and down the walls. It takes me less than a minute to put up or take down.

My room is 30’ long and I project onto one end at 120” CIW, sitting 15’ away in the middle of the length of the room.

I now also have a small 43” TV and have been impressed with picture quality so I too considered my options recently. Until I put a 3D Bluray on the projector that is.

I have two sofas at 90 degree angles to each other with a single coffee table in front of both. I sit on one sofa to be directly on to the projector image. I sit on the other sofa to watch the TV head-on. I sit about 8 feet from the TV and about about 15 feet from the projector image.

When it comes to gaming, it depends on the type of game. I used to play Motorstorm on the projector with the PS3, but for competitive shooters a small screen is best (I used a 30” monitor). Now I just use the games consoles on the TV. The TV I have is a Samsung Frame, so decent but not the best. I am impressed with it though, so much am considering a 2nd one for using a 2nd console on for 2 player games ;)

I decided that even if I could find a large TV that had the image quality of my small TV I would still feel underwhelmed compared to what I am used to for movies. TV shows is a different matter of course, happy to watch them on a small TV.

For me it’s the old adage of the right tool for the job. To me that’s projector for movies, TV for TV shows and games (but I do watch The Walking Dead on the projector too - gotta have exceptions ;)

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Didn't you see the pictures with the black Devore pulled out and set up? I'd never watch with the room as it is, for the reasons you say.

I'm effectively viewing on a 135" diagonal and it's an AT screen with barely 1.0 gain (actual as opposed to what the manufacturers claim), so yes I'd need to use high lamp: I currently just manage to have the aperture a couple of clicks down from fully open when watching HDR content and normal lamp. I use a Lumagen for dynamic tone mapping, which does an amazing job, but there are limits to the brightness I can get away with and still have a punchy image. There is a little in hand for lamp dimming, so I wouldn't want to be any worse in terms of screen gain without needing high lamp.

Black level is amazing on a JVC X7500, so I don't think I'd gain anything putting an ALR into a treated room. Whether I'd put one in the room and do away with the Devore is moot as it would be too obvious when not in use, whereas the white screen seems more like a plain wall.

I agree that for SDR I'd have more in hand though; I think I run with the aperture less than half way open and still reach a (measured) 14fL.

I don't game at all, so that's not a consideration for me, unlike the OP.

The pic with the devore didn't load.
😂 😂

Can you do photos with devore activated and not activated with the lights off? I'm thinking of stealing that excellent idea :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Cabasse launches limited edition Pearl Pelegrina speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones