Swapping my coal fire for an electric/gas equivalent?

bairdyboy1980

Hi all,

We have a coal fire at the moment that we are thinking of getting rid of. For a number of reasons really. The main one being that when you come in you want "that instant heat". Also its messy. Plus point is that it looks good! And once the fire is going its hot.

Here is what the style is like currently: (stock pic)

$T2eC16VHJHgE9n0yFjo+BQ9G9MdNCw~~60_35.JPG

Anyway, weighing up the pros and cons of gas vs electric fire.

For an electric fire, can i just plug it into a nearby socket? Or would it need its own dedicated circuit? How would i fit it in, bearing in mind my fire looks like the pic above?

Or should i pay more and get someone to install a gas fire?

jonna

Distinguished Member
I would choose a gas fire over an electric fire for looks/running costs and heat.

image-4065925743.jpg

Our fire is a balanced flue model, so no need for a chimney but must be installed on an exterior wall.
The flames are a realistic colour but not on an ipad camera :).

Last edited:

CooperUK

Get a log burner installed - not so messy and much more efficient than coal. Not 'instant' heat, but only takes 5-10 mins to get hot.

Might be a good idea given the fact that gas prices keep spiralling.

bairdyboy1980

Get a log burner installed - not so messy and much more efficient than coal. Not 'instant' heat, but only takes 5-10 mins to get hot.

Might be a good idea given the fact that gas prices keep spiralling.

Na, needs to be an instant heat. No point in getting a log burner. Same as what I have got with the coal

Sonic67

Banned
For an electric fire, can i just plug it into a nearby socket? Or would it need its own dedicated circuit? How would i fit it in, bearing in mind my fire looks like the pic above?
You can just plug it in. Or you could have it on a fused spur as it is fixed.

bairdyboy1980

You can just plug it in. Or you could have it on a fused spur as it is fixed.

If i get an electric fire I will just plug it in ad there is a socket near.

Still can't decide. Gas. Electric. Hmmmm

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom