1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapping Mobos and Processors

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Steve Bate, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got 2 PC's one is currently a Server and one a HTPC the Server has a more powerful CPU & more recent mobo are there any real config issues with just swapping the mobos over? I want the extra grunt the server CPU has for FFDShow but I dont really want to reconfigure each PC.

Steve

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Windows may well not like it, you'll probably have to re-install. The problem is the low-level chipset drivers Windows installs often won't work on a different mobo, even the same brand. Even if it boots you may well have problems with it as Windows tries to install the chipset drivers for the new board it's seeing.

If you really don't want to re-install then I wouldn't suggest you try unless you have a tool like Drive Image or Ghost to take a system image in case things go pear-shaped.

3. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    B**ger, looks like ghost then, but it took me ages to get my HTPC just right, I hate reconfiguring a working system :(

Steve

4. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, you're asking for trouble trying to do a straight swap. Things may work but you'll get unstability and potential slowdowns.