swapping energy providers

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a bit of advice. I'm currently with coop energy for gas/electric who I plan to leave as for the whole year I've been with them they've been unable to correct my gas meter reading which as far as I'm concerned should be simple so am going to change, possibly to utility warehouse as they work out £200+ cheaper.

The Issue I have is I am moving house within the next month and obviously that house will be provided by another company. Is that provider any concern of mine. As when I moved into my current property I was a first time owner so had no current energy account so was forced to use the previous owners supplier and then set up an account with coop who took that over after a month.

What is the best course of action to take. Would I need co op to take over the energy supply at the new house first and then set up a new account with utility warehouse and have them take over from co-op or can I simply move in, ring up Co-op tell them I want my account closed at my old address and then ring Utility warehouse and set up a new account with them at my new address?

When you move out of your present house give the coop a ring to give final meter readings and to close your account.

When you move into your new house you have to at first sign up with the current supplier who will ask for opening meter readings. The moment you have done that you can then contact the supplier you want to go with (utility warehouse) and start the transfer over procedure.

Because the procedure takes a few weeks is why you have to sign up with the current supplier to start with as its their services you are using to the transfer is complete

Edit it is a good idea to take a picture of the closing readings in case of any dispute

Interesting that you're moving to Utility Warehouse. I'm looking at moving from them; their customer service is brilliant, but what I pay them compared to quotes from other providers means I'm paying about £250 more than I need to.

I insist on monthly billing based on readings I supply (estimated readings or fixed payments are a deal breaker for me), and quite a lot of companies don't offer this.

So if anyone knows who does operate the way I want to save me going through the whole process, I'd appreciate the heads up.

Greenstar are very good if it helps, one of the cheapest providers and allows actual readings (not sure about monthly though as i pay quarterly)

Turns out I misread the company name on compare the market. Was actually first:utility which does not have a good customer service rating.

Utility warehouse comes in a lot more expensive than co-op

I have been with GB energy for a few months and the switchover from eon was painless. There only a small company so you may not get them in the comparison sites. They are a fair chunk cheaper for us though.

I changed from npower to ovo a few years back and haven't been happier, glad i did. :smashin:

I have been with GB energy for a few months and the switchover from eon was painless. There only a small company so you may not get them in the comparison sites. They are a fair chunk cheaper for us though.

I just switched to GB energy yesterday from BG.

Seems all ok this far, see how the changeover progresses.

Just wandering I have a smart meter installed by BG, are these universal or does each company have their own version? as I don't want to take another afternoon off to get another fitted.

I'm with GB Energy also. Switched over in the summer as my monthly payments worked out £23 a month cheaper. It was probably more than that as British Gas constantly underestimated what I was due so when I did switch I had to pay them a lump sum to clear the account.

GB Energy have been ok so far but then I've never really had to contact them about anything.

Hang on to those new meter readings, I've had two energy companies try and deny any contact when I ve moved into properties, to try and settle large outstanding bills, by previous occupiers.

I just switched to GB energy yesterday from BG.

Seems all ok this far, see how the changeover progresses.

Just wandering I have a smart meter installed by BG, are these universal or does each company have their own version? as I don't want to take another afternoon off to get another fitted.
They aren't universal yet which is just ridiculous. Apparently they will be in April but it keeps getting delayed so don't hold out hope

I'll be moving from EON on or around 20th of this month once my years fixed deal runs out. They want an extra £200-odd quid per year so they can go whistle. This GB Energy comes out cheapest for me so I'll be giving them a look in.

Turns out I misread the company name on compare the market. Was actually first:utility which does not have a good customer service rating.

Utility warehouse comes in a lot more expensive than co-op
I am a distributor for UW so if i am out of order mods please delete. Utility warehouse are better if you get the other services. If you are a gold customer they will replace all the light bulbs in your house for free with LED's which will reduce bills a little and they guarantee them for life while with them so will replace if one stops working.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom