swapping boxes

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by squid, Mar 20, 2002.

1. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    today my brother had sky installed .they gave hime a nice shinny sony box with s-video out ect

he has no need for ony of the extra features so i was going to swap boxes with him . would this be posable . i have read that you can marry a card to a box by going into the secret set-up menu (sevices - setup - 0 ) i have tryed this and nothing hapend. has the menu been removed or am i doing somthing wrong

would there be any other problems with swapping baxes with my bro ??

thanks for any help

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Services 4 0 1 Select

That will take you to the service menu you need.
    Should be no problem swapping boxes but at least one of them will be required to be connected to the a phone line.

Now assuming the digibox your brother just got has been aquired through a subsidised BIB type contract then he is responsible and could be billed for £120 if SKY wonder why his box isn't connected to the phone line in his home.
    I assume the digibox isn't legally yours until the initial 12 month contract has been completed. Bit of a grey area I am afriad but try it anyway, if SKY say anything just swap them back until the 12 months is up and you can legally remove the phone connection.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you both have the same subscription you could keep the cards with the original boxes, so long as the new one is connected to the phone line there should be no problem.

DaveP

4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    You have to call Sky customer service and have your cards switched over to the new boxes.
    I had to do this after upgrading my Pace box to a Panasonic one.
    Even though I was told I wouldn't have to call them, but when I installed it I got no picture. Just got a message to contact customer service.

All they require is the card number and then the box number (you get these from the services menu). I can't see any problem with you switching boxes as long as your brother keeps his phone connection in.