Swapping amp for soundbar or not?

Markgolf

Novice Member
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some advice, I've stepped out of the home A/V stuff for a few years now but looking to change my current setup.

I currently have a Samsung Q85 with a Sony DN710 A/V amp which I use to select between my devices, Xbox, PS and Sky.

Optically connected amp, 2 floor standing B&W speakers and a subwoofer, chord cabled. This has done the job, since having a kid, I don't worry so much about SQ and loudness etc anymore and now my amp is aging and not supporting 1080/4k, I looked in to changing it for a Sony DN1080 (Hard to find but that is price bracket I'm looking at and I like the sony amps)

HOWEVER, since mentioning my will to upgrade a few bits to the wife, she wants the speakers to go as they are a hazard for our son, he has pushed them over before. So she said, can't we get a soundbar that comes with a sub (we like a bit of bass)

I'm open to it but the issue for me is, I have ZERO experience of a soundbar aside from a quick demo the guy gave me of one in Currys which did impress me! This was at the time of demoing the Samsung Q85 to me.

I guess I can have all of my devices go straight in to the TV, I then don't have the bottle neck of my old amp not being able to do 1080/4k and I should be happy ever after.

Is a soundbar the way to go or is there another option? Is it time to lose the av amp?

Thanks,
Mark

Dasiz

Going from an A\V 5.1 (min) setup to a soundbar will be a massive step down

Jay53

OP has two floor standing speakers and a sub so not so much of a climb down.

Still think OP needs a soundbar that comes with a sub to do audio any justice. Although some of the more expensive ones are chunky enough to include a "small sub" of some description within the soundbar

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom