Swapped Upfiring to Front Heights

JustinT350

Afternoon all, I thought I'd post a thread on my Dali Alteco C1 Upfiring speakers, and I'm keen to hear others thoughts

I have had the Altecos for 6 months or so now, and always had them in Upfiring mode. Two reasons, I actually like the look of them sitting on top of my floor standers, and also it's a bit more wife friendly as it's a bit more of a subtle look. To be honest I'm not actually sure she realised they were additional speakers at all. Which says alot!

Sound wise. I hooked them up and ran Audyssey, beefed up the dB slightly and I felt it really added a more 3d sound. Best way I can describe it is its more of a bubble of sound, rather than just being all at ear level.

Anyways I've just mounted them at the top of my walls above my floor standers. I'm only a couple of films in so far, but what a difference. The sound is much more directional now, and think it's added another dimension to the soundstage. The upfiring was subtle, and the heights are much more precise.

I need to find a couple of atmos films to really convince me its the right move.

Anyone else made the same change?

IMG_20210329_094138.jpg
IMG_20210329_094144.jpg
IMG_20210329_122556.jpg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
In the past i would say there is probably 5-10 members who has done what you did and found that the front height were lot more effective! :) And often this was with Alteco C-1 speakers. The danger doing this and finding it sounds much better often leads one upgrading receiver to 9.2 and buying another pair at rear. ;)

JustinT350

In the past i would say there is probably 5-10 members who has done what you did and found that the front height were lot more effective! :) And often this was with Alteco C-1 speakers. The danger doing this and finding it sounds much better often leads one upgrading receiver to 9.2 and buying another pair at rear. ;)
Ha!

It's definitely an addiction. An expensive one at that!

JustinT350

Yeah that's right, Oberon 5. They really look like they are meant to be..

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_145115.jpg
    IMG_20210608_145115.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 85

Dobbyisfree

Ha!

It's definitely an addiction. An expensive one at that!

A next upgrade idea... "Hey darling don't you think white speakers would look better up there on the wall?"

Oh no, then you have some spare black Altecos to use on top of your surround speakers 🤣

X4100

Nice setup, are you thinking of adding rear heights? I'm running 5.1.4 and I'm LOVING IT!! I have full coverage from front to rear, as well as side to side. :):clap::D

JustinT350

Have you had the set up as a 5.1.2 before to compare?

I think I'd definitely be tempted, or to go 7.1.2 instead?

X4100

My denon x4100 can do 9 channels with an extra amp. First I tried 7.1.2 with middle height, and rear speakers higher up the wall. Upmixing the 2nd planet of the apes, it was almost as good as 5.1.4 atmos. Next I went with 5.1.4 actual atmos setting, I've been using this for the past year. I'm thinking of using this setup now. Lol

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 54

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom