Swapped Upfiring to Front Heights

JustinT350

Afternoon all, I thought I'd post a thread on my Dali Alteco C1 Upfiring speakers, and I'm keen to hear others thoughts

I have had the Altecos for 6 months or so now, and always had them in Upfiring mode. Two reasons, I actually like the look of them sitting on top of my floor standers, and also it's a bit more wife friendly as it's a bit more of a subtle look. To be honest I'm not actually sure she realised they were additional speakers at all. Which says alot!

Sound wise. I hooked them up and ran Audyssey, beefed up the dB slightly and I felt it really added a more 3d sound. Best way I can describe it is its more of a bubble of sound, rather than just being all at ear level.

Anyways I've just mounted them at the top of my walls above my floor standers. I'm only a couple of films in so far, but what a difference. The sound is much more directional now, and think it's added another dimension to the soundstage. The upfiring was subtle, and the heights are much more precise.

I need to find a couple of atmos films to really convince me its the right move.

Anyone else made the same change?

IMG_20210329_094138.jpg
IMG_20210329_094144.jpg
IMG_20210329_122556.jpg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
In the past i would say there is probably 5-10 members who has done what you did and found that the front height were lot more effective! :) And often this was with Alteco C-1 speakers. The danger doing this and finding it sounds much better often leads one upgrading receiver to 9.2 and buying another pair at rear. ;)

JustinT350

In the past i would say there is probably 5-10 members who has done what you did and found that the front height were lot more effective! :) And often this was with Alteco C-1 speakers. The danger doing this and finding it sounds much better often leads one upgrading receiver to 9.2 and buying another pair at rear. ;)
Ha!

It's definitely an addiction. An expensive one at that!

JustinT350

Yeah that's right, Oberon 5. They really look like they are meant to be..

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_145115.jpg
    IMG_20210608_145115.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 74

X4100

Nice setup, are you thinking of adding rear heights? I'm running 5.1.4 and I'm LOVING IT!! I have full coverage from front to rear, as well as side to side. :):clap::D

JustinT350

Have you had the set up as a 5.1.2 before to compare?

I think I'd definitely be tempted, or to go 7.1.2 instead?

X4100

My denon x4100 can do 9 channels with an extra amp. First I tried 7.1.2 with middle height, and rear speakers higher up the wall. Upmixing the 2nd planet of the apes, it was almost as good as 5.1.4 atmos. Next I went with 5.1.4 actual atmos setting, I've been using this for the past year. I'm thinking of using this setup now. Lol

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 43

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom