1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap XS34 for EH50 What functions will I lose?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ABP, May 6, 2005.

1. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to swap my XS34 for a Panasonic EH50. I just cannot live with the noise created by the XS34; I have had 2 of these machines thinking the first one had a problem. The second one is if anything a little more noisy.
    The fan noise from these machines is spoiling what is otherwise a fantastic machine.
    I would like to swap for an alternative machine, the obvious choice would be the EH50 but I would like to know if anyone knows if this machine is just as noisy?
    If it were not so noisy what functionality would I be sacrificing?
    I understand the editing is not as good and it does not have a fire wire connection.
    I will mostly be using it to back up Sky+ and home camcorder videos.

I have now come to the conclusion that if I want half decent editing of home movies this will have to be done on the PC. Despite the XS34 being sold as an editing machine the edit point 'pauses' are something that would annoy the hell out of me. I have now re-assed what I could use the DVR for & for backing up and editing out adverts etc from TV films is about the limit...pity.

So now I am after a 'quiet' DVR with the best quality video recording.
    I also found the 'SATMON' function very useful do all DVR's have this function?

Your advice would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks

AB-P

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    HI ABP,

i thought i'd answer you on the right thread :D

i bought the EH50 on monday - but it has a firmware issue - it starts recording all on it own!! i understand that panasonic have fixed it now, but there are a load of machines out there that have the problem and it seems that there is no way of telling which ones have and which ones dont. (see here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207136)

i went for the tosh because it has i-link for my camcorder and coaxial digital out for sound. i also like the editing functions which seem to be far more comprehensive than the panasonics (although it also has a learning curve to match :rolleyes: )

the EH50 was/is a great machine, although i dont really like the styling or the SD card slot in the middle of the fasica. i'm really please with the tosh but it is louder than the eh50 but i dont find it that bad.

Gary

3. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firewire, extra hard drive space, IR channel switching and multiple tweaking options. I've found the channel switching great but but otherwise they're no deal breakers if you're not going to use your camcorder with it. I demod the EH50 extensively and thought it a great machine, though at this stage it might be worth holding on the EH60 if only for the bigger HD.

I, like others, am mystified at these editing pauses you talk about. Edits on my machine have been seamless. As I asked on another post, are we talking at cross purposes?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    This is linked with Seemless Playback. If you have a look in Functions > Setup > PIcture you will find a option called 'Seemless Playback'. If set to ON you will get smooth playback over edits but edits will not be so accurate, if set to OFF you will be able to edit more accurately but the picture will freeze briefly. Generally for 'advert break editing' I would always say have Seemless Playback OFF - but it depends on your taste/editing requirements.

5. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have a second region 2 machine and it has the same hesitation at the edit points. I got it from LE Concepts and they recognised the problem and sugested that the EH50 was even worse. I Phoned Panasonic and the guy on Technical confirmed that the EH50 suffered from the same 'Pause' at edit points. This though is nothing compared to the noise from the cooling fan which is very loud. I cannot even hear the one on my Sky+ but the XS34 can be heard the other side of the room no problem, as i have said before it sounds like a central heating pump! in fact this second machine is louder than the first. I have it sat on an open shelf bellow my Sky+ maybe if it were in a cabinet it would be OK... I have looked at cabinets to see if i could get rid of the problem that way as well... OK end of rant.. Other than that I find it a great Machine and now i have ot used to it it is easy to use and very flexible.

AB-P

6. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Raczak, I wasn't aware of this and must have a look. That said my edits have been frame perfect so far so if seamless editing is ON then there seems to be no perceptible compromise on the editing front.
    Thanks again

7. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Raczak,

I canot find a referance to seemles playback in either the manual or searching througnthe setup menu on the XS34. Please can you direct me to where this setting can be found.

Many thanks

AB-P

8. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Raczak was speaking about the Panasonic machine. There is no such thing on the Toshiba unless you count VR/GOP editing mode.

I think you will find these pauses are part of the way current DVD recorders put section together. If you edit at a fade out to black and then fade in from black you won't realy notice them.

The only way is to edit, copy DVD to PC and use a program called IFOEDIT and remove the layer breaks. Then you get seamless edits but then your edits need to be editing studio standard otherwise it will look odd anyway. In some cases the final result can look better with a pause if you get it right.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    I was. There is no seemless playback option on the Toshiba - it is just the equivalent to being set at OFF. Seemless playback would be no good for camcorder users anyway so isn't a big priority for ABP.

The differences they are noting between the Toshiba machines is probably a combination of recording mode, method of editing and what they are editing. Obviously some material is alot more sensitive to 'pauses' than others.

10. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Raczak was talking about a Panasonic model which one and does it edit and playback seamlessly?

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    ABP,

All Panasonic models have the 'Seemless Playback' option but it is not something that is going to make life any better for you if you want to edit camcorder footage. The benefit of 'Seemless Playback' is just to make smooth playback of scenes on the recorder - they do not translate to the final DVD-Rs and indeed can make editing more difficult.

The edit points made on the EH50 are, in my opinion, slightly better than you can achieve on the Toshiba. But as I discussed with you earlier the only decent option for camcorder enthusiasts is a PC.

To be honest ABP your best bet is to pop along to your local Comet/Currys and ask for a hands on with the Panasonic. That will tell you more than any long winded discussions here.

12. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So basicaly stick with what i have in the XS34 as it is about as good as it gets in a DVR.
    Copy old S-VHS to XS34 and re edit on the PC
    Put the XS34 in cabinet to dampen the noise

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    ABP, I really would go and trial a EH50. At least then you will know how edits, noise levels and UI compare with each other. There is no substitute for seeing the models in action...

14. Van Cortlandt

Van Cortlandt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ABP: I bought an EH50 two days ago and am very pleased with it so far. I've yet to put it through all its paces, and I don't have an XS34 to compare it with, so I can't help with the functionality. But, since the Toshiba noise is an issue for you, you'll be pleased to know that I am hugely impressed by how quiet the EH50 is. All but inaudible, even. So - as long as I didn't just get lucky - I reckon that you ought to be happy to swap that score at least.