Swap speaker outputs for different room configurations

Morpheus00

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have two room set ups from the same AV receiver, one for watching TV, the second for the projector, which is at right angles to the TV. The problem is thus that the speakers are out of position when watching the projector. Is there anything on the market that would let me swap speaker positions on the fly and back again. More specifically FR for RR, FL for FR, RR FOR RL, RL FOR FR.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Changing the speakers isn't really the issue and could possibly be achieved via speaker switches. The issue is that the receiver calibrates its output in relation to only one listening position in relation to one set of speakers positioned around that position. AV receivers do not generally have the ability to store and use more than one set of configurations. The only exception I know of to this is Sony whose AV receivers do allow more than one set of speaker calibrations to be stored and used. Although this is implemented by Sony more as a way of facilitating two different potential listening position than it is to facilitate two entirely different speaker setups.

I'd concentrate on locating the PJ screen so that it can drop down in front of your TV and allow the same speaker configuration for both rather than trying to use the same speakers in association with different outputs depending upon which you are viewing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately everything has to stay where it is. The calibration isn't much of an issue for me. Do you know of a speaker switch that would help me do what you say whilst running only 1 set of cables. I thought speaker switches where mainly for switching between speakers in different rooms on different cables etc.

Any passive speaker switch should suffice, but by calibration I mean the associated distances and levels settings for each specific channel. These settings will be incorrect in relation to one of the configurations and will be very noticeable.

You'd need to employ a switch in relation to every channel so that the front speakers' output can be switched to the other speakers being used as rears and visa versa. You'd need to manually switch each and every speaker each and every time you wished to use the other setup.

Things simply do not work in the way you appear to assume them to.

If you cannot reposition the TV or the PJ screen so that one audio setup can be used for both then I'd suggest having a different AV receiver and speakers for each setup.

Last edited:
Not assuming anything, just asking . I'd hoped for some sort of intermediary box which took speaker signal 1 and could output it to any set of jacks. Obviously the market isn't big enough to make such a device. Best bet it seems is to set up for my primary screen and make do for the other. Sadly not gto the cash right now to invest in another amp and speakers.

Maybe consider using a soundbar for the TV and reserving the AV receiver for use with your PJ?

You would also either need to buy another centre or move your current one around as well. A member on her made his own box to switch between speakers. From what I remember they used RCA plugs on the end of the speaker cables and then moved them around to the required configuration. I do not think they got around the calibration issue though.

Thanks PsM. The centre speaker is easily repositioned (I have the SoundWare XSSE package which has 5 identical satellites), hence my hope I could simply swap over corner speaker outputs. I'll look into the RCA Menston plug swap idea.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom