Swap Panny PX60 for Hitachi PD9700??? Opinions required please.

dajomel

Established Member
Reaction score
HI all.

I have been cursed with the purple snakes and green tinges on my 42PX60 and as such have contacted RS with regards to this. :mad:

Firstly I would like to commend RS on their service.:thumbsup: I emailed highlighting the problem and informing them of increasing cases of this fault shown via this site and they have informed me that I have three options, without the need for an engineer to come out!!!!:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

The three options are:
1) Swap for another PX60 and hope for the best :D
2) Swap for the Hitachi PD9700 (an option I asked about) :confused:
3) Swap for another TV available through them. :confused:

I purchased at £1200 and only ones really available are the PX60(like for like model) and PD9700(like for like cost).

PX60: Risk of purple snakes and green tinge which seems increasingly more likely given that the newer sets are the most hard hit by this.
PD9700: Flickering and apparent contrast level changing (linked?) though have seen instructions on here that lessens/removes these issues.

My question is obvious at this point and is just calling on the the might that is the collective knowledge of the forum members, which set do I go for given my situation and options available? Is the slight loss of blacks (as stated by people here) that much from PX60 to PD9700?

Apologies for some similarity with other posts but I am looking for peoples sensible opinions on this esp as so many people still state go for PX60 even despite it's obvious and increasingly more common failings.

Many many thanks in advance. :)

Cheers

I have a Panasonic TH50PX60 and have yet to notice any purple snakes or green tinges that you and others seem to mention. Fingers-crossed I'm one of the lucky ones out there.

Why not try another PX60 and see if the same problem exists. Guess if it does, what with RS excellent customer service they'll let you swap it for the Hitachi you mention or something else?

Cheekster.

P.S. Noticed the other day RS have dropped the price of this set to £999! :D

How many times do we need to iterate that the 50 incher doesn't suffer much from this problem ?

Please try to your squeeze some extra dough and buy the Pio or please wait until Panasonic fixes this fu**ing issue.

I have a Panasonic TH50PX60 and have yet to notice any purple snakes or green tinges that you and others seem to mention. Fingers-crossed I'm one of the lucky ones out there.

Why not try another PX60 and see if the same problem exists. Guess if it does, what with RS excellent customer service they'll let you swap it for the Hitachi you mention or something else?

Cheekster.

P.S. Noticed the other day RS have dropped the price of this set to £999! :D

I'm about to check for the purple snakes issue with the Superman Returns DVD, i haven't noticed anything so far, apart from the occasional green/yellow tinge on dark to bright light/fast motion, have you noticed this too mate?

Hi Cheekster,

Must admit I am thinking about giving the Panny another go. Have seen they have dropped price but still willing to exchange for Hitachi selling for £1200. RS are excellent on customer service.

Lgans: Have seen your input on other thread and appreciated comments/info you have posted. Think you don't need to be so harsh about the 50" thing tho. :D In respect to Pio comment, are you meaning the 436? Not sure if can scrape funds together even for an extra £100!!! Missus will not appreciate it. Panny fixing this issue I think is a Pipe Dream, despite claims of a fix by 28th Dec!!!

Any other people's thoughts on this please? Just curious as to what anyone else would do in this situaton.

Am contemplating trying another PX60 as have been happy with it apart from the annoying purple/green issues. Saying that, the 9700 does look a nice set both in styling and PQ.

Your opinions and thoughts are very welcome. :smashin:

Thanks

How many times do we need to iterate that the 50 incher doesn't suffer much from this problem ?

Hi, someone on the purple snake thread has a 50PX600 and has these problems.

Maybe lok intot he 4270XD, get them to PM Empire Direct and inc. free 3 year warranty.

I can safely recommand the pio427.....it has none of the issues like the panny and the PQ is better. And they really have fixed the retention/burn-in issue. I played GOW for 6hours straight and not a hint of retention at all.

Unfortunately I think both the Pios mentioned are out of my price range. I really can't add any more money to this! I originally set out to only spend £1k and had to convince the missus that another £200 was needed and she was reluctant but gave in, I ain't gonna get any more!!!:(

I feel it is between trying another PX60 (great pic other than snakes), giving the PD9700 a try (like the looks and features) or maybe a panel but seem more money will be needed for that route and I can't afford to do that.

Any more opinions would be appreciated

Thanks again guys (and girls):thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom