Swap my LCD for a Plasma? But John Lewis charge 15% !

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Nijius Maximus, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Nijius Maximus

Nijius Maximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've had my Samsung LE40A686 for exactly a week now but after going into another store today I realised that I prefer the SD picture on a plasma TV and the better viewing angles - e.g. blacks on the Samsung go half grey when sitting even at a relatively small angle to it. It's pretty annoying cos half the people in the room are getting a different colour picture basically.

I phoned up John Lewis and they said they'd charge 15% to take the TV back. Is there anyway out of this, I'm sure I've read somewhere of people getting full refunds when contacting someone higher up. Only when I got it home did I realise how annoying the viewing angle problem was, I didn't notice it in store. I'm sure people kept talking about the newer LCD's having better viewing angles.

I got it for £699 which I was well happy with but that 15% is probably enough to put me off changing it! It's pretty damn good for an LCD and beats some plasmas for detail, brightness and amazing whites, don't get me wrong, but having seen decent quality plasmas now I feel like I made the wrong choice! Should've checked out more plasma TV's in the first place, I admit it's my fault! :D

What should I do? Am I just being pedantic? Is this just a case of temporary buyer's remorse? Is it worth changing for 15%?

Cheers. :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. Syphonic

Syphonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Technically JL are well within their rights to charge a restocking fee.

The viewing angle is my main complaint with my LCD. Anything off pretty much dead centre and the blacks go blue or grey and the whole picture is terrible.

3. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,828
    You're leaving them with a second hand TV, can't blame them.

4. uhal

uhal
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I thought you could return it for any reason within 30 days ! ?

5. Nijius Maximus

Nijius Maximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yeah, you're both right, I agree, I admitted in my post that it was my fault in the first place. I was just wondering if anyone had managed to get let off the restocking fee from JL in the past before giving in and paying it. Just to confirm it is their official policy. As a result I've edited the title of this thread so I don't come across as sounding so selfish which wasn't my intention! Hehe.

The main thing I wanna know is whether you think it's worth the cost to change TV's or should I just stick it out? Just have this feeling I'm gonna keep thinking over the next few years that I should have coughed up and paid for my mistake rather than having it at the back of my mind!

Cheers :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  6. Nijius Maximus

Nijius Maximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That's what I'm confused about as I've read different experiences on the net from people in similar situations. Trying to get to the bottom of it.

7. uhal

uhal
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    happy to refund or exchange a product provided it is in fully resaleable condition. Return (usually 28 days) and in original, undamaged packaging.* If we find that the product has not been returned to us in fully resaleable condition, we reserve the right to refuse a refund on the item, or deduct up to 20% of the original selling price from the refund amount.Returns can be made through either of these options: 1. Returns via Royal Mail or courier collection Call us on 08456 049 049 or complete our online form including: order number, stock number, the reason for the return and whether you want a refund or a replacement. We will email you back with instructions for returning by Royal Mail or we will arrange for the courier to come to ...

i would push for an exchange.. ?

steve

8. ~dadam02~

~dadam02~

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    If this tv has been used it will have to be resold cheaper as 2nd's or graded stock, for which the 15% will most likely cover.

9. hilly10

hilly10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    If I were the retailer I would want the 15% restocking.

10. bladedripper

bladedripper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    Id just take the 15% hit and get the plasma you won't regret it,i remember getting a lcd after owning a plasma and hated it (kept it for 12 months saying id get used to it:()and was only happy when i moved back to a plasma.:smashin:

11. Nijius Maximus

Nijius Maximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Just found out from JL that it's only 10% if I get another TV from them instead of a refund. Now that's tempting, no?

Also, do JL normally have the TV's that people give back on display somewhere with a special sticker on it or something? I don't think I've ever seen any in any of the stores. Maybe I should try and find a plasma TV that someone else has given back and use that saving to offset the restocking fee? ;)

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about as well! Might just have to go for it...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  12. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,486
    I've worked for JL for over 10 years and even I had to pay a restocking fee when I bought my first plasma and realised after a couple of weeks that it was too small. (Cost me £250 to hand it back after 2 weeks use)

Unfortunately, if the TV is to be resold to another customer it would have to be reduced as it is not "brand new" even if it has only been used for a day.

13. Nijius Maximus

Nijius Maximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Woah, £250 makes my £105 seem quite decent actually! ;)

The stocking fee seems fair enough then if the TV is to be sold again at a lower price. Got another few weeks before the 28 days runs out and I'm looking closely at potential Plasma substitutes. Don't want to get it wrong again. Hopefully though I would've made my decision in a few days.

Also, don't know if it's psychological but the more I look at my LCD the better it seems to look now...haha. :D Decisions, decisions...

14. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    For the extra £70 re-stocking fee then I'd just go for the TV that you prefer.

If you are going to keep it for a few years, then you would only regret it if you kept the LCD that you're a little unhappy with.

While you've got the option to change the TV, make sure you are buying the right size of TV as well. You don't want to be saying in a couple of months time that you wished that you'd bought a 50" (or whatever) instead!

15. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    NM, the only instance I can think of for legally being able to return non-defective goods without a restocking fee Is if you purchased it on credit card, did not open the box (i.e kept it in the same condition it was bought ((new condition)) and returned it to the store within 5 days of purchase. Credit cards are great that way as they give you extra entitlement & protection.

16. SupplementMan

SupplementMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Maybe you could sell it for 699 on Ebay. Not sure how that'll sell on ebay

17. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    With eBay's fairly recent fee increase you'd actually be better off just paying the 10% restocking fee.

eBay now charge 9.9% final value fee for a 'Buy it now' - then there's the problem of the buyer getting it etc.

18. SupplementMan

SupplementMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hmm well how about posting a swap request for a nice Plasma in AVFORUMs or sell it there for what you paid. I think its free

19. Curry Monster

Curry Monster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Why would anyone who knows want to swap a plasma for an LCD??:eek:

20. Nijius Maximus

Nijius Maximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Haha, that's a good point actually. Although the 40" looks quite a good size for the room I was checking out a 50" 720p plasma today. Even when standing RIGHT NEXT TO IT it looked better for SD than my LCD from 2 metres away! :eek: Could that be because it's a plasma or cos it's 720p or both? Maybe 40" was too small to appreciate Full HD in the first place?

Yeah, that's what I thought, it makes sense. But I'm sure I read on these very forums, or maybe some other, about someone managing to get a full refund after writing a letter to head office. Maybe I didn't recall it properly and they had a fault with their TV? Everyone seems to have confirmed what the policy is though so I'm okay with it. :)

Selling it was one of my original ideas but that was when the Samsung LE40A686 was out of stock in a lot of places or had gone up in price quite a bit (over £800). Now people seem to be getting price matches with John Lewis using Robert Whyte for around £719. Plus Steve Zodiac you're right, there IS a lot of hassle involved in selling it.

Haha. Exactly. :rotfl: There maybe quite a few people migrating from LCD to Plasma but how many take the opposite route? Wish I'd joined the "dark side" from day one! :devil:

But on the other hand SupplementMan, I suppose there's nothing to lose in posting it in the trade forum. :smashin:

EDIT: One more thing. On my LCD when there's a completely white screen the left and right of the screen seem to have inch wide greyish borders. Is this normal for an LCD or is it something that affects Plasmas as well?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  21. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Here is what i don't get about this. While deciding between a Pio 5090 and the 500-A the retailer offered that I could take the 5090 and once I kept the packaging I could swap it for the 500-A within the first month or so, what happens in this case and this is not the first time I'ver heard of this practise. I doubt the 5090 I would return ends up being sold as a second hand TV, maybe I'm wrong.

22. Slackadder

Slackadder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Maximus,

I was in JL yesterday getting close and personal with an LX5090 but enough about that!

The assistant said catergorically that you could return within 28 (or was it 30 days) for a full refund for whatever reason as long as you had the box packaging. This was reduced IIRC to 85% if you didn't have the box. This fee you seem to be quoted may be the without box option. Do you have the box?????

I hope this helps!

Anthony

PS the assistant's name was Paul at JL Reading - I have spoken with him before and very knowledgable and helpful guy however dealt with Richer Sounds in the end as have bought my last panel from them.

23. Nijius Maximus

Nijius Maximus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Whatever turns you on mate...! :D

Seriously though, the Pioneer LX5090 is a great TV and does an excellent job with standard definition. I was thinking about it myself (especially with the decent prices for it at the moment) until I saw a projector in action and couldn't resist the movie impact of a 120" screen.

So Panasonic 1080p LCD projector it was!

The best and most surprising thing though is that it does a FAR BETTER job of showing SD than the 40" LCD I had before with none of the annoying artefacts it exhibited. :smashin:

Wow, that's interesting. I returned mine in the original packaging and excellent condition. But I was told before returning that I'd be charged 15% (or 10% if I bought another TV from them) and subsequently was. Didn't bother me too much as I ended up with a far better viewing experience.

But the thing now is that I still want to get a plasma TV to complement my projector for when I can't be bothered to set it up. I was looking at checking out the Panasonic TX-P42X10 (supposed to be very good for SD) in John Lewis. Wonder if they'll give me back the 5% if I end up buying one from them? ;)

Cheers. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  24. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Policy will vary slightly on this issue from store to store. If it has been used, no matter how little, most will charge a restocking fee regardless of the state of the packaging. Of course, over the phone and online orders are subject to distance selling regs.