• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Swap my 5.1 system for Sonos?

Brooktop

I have a 5.1 system in the lounge, consisting of:
  1. PS 4 to
  2. Sony HT amp (with 3D passthrough and hi-def audio)
  3. B&W 601 fronts
  4. Paradigm sub
  5. Celestion CC1 centre
  6. Celestion 1 rears
Also a You View box feeding an LG 49UF850V LED.

The system generally gets used for movie and tv viewing.

We need to take out the old carpet and are replacing it with wooden flooring. I'm not sure I want to re-route all the speaker cables again.

I've been mightily impressed with the Sonos system and now have 3 x Play 1s.

I'm thinking of selling my 5.1 kit and getting a Playbase. I will then wall mount 2 of the Play 1s so I can use them as rears AND it will probably mean I'm more likely to listen to music in there.

Of course, I'll need to take a leap of faith, so would welcome any comments. I do realise that I'm going to lose some of the expansiveness of sound, but now having young children, I don't get to crank movies up to room shaking levels anyway.

I look forward to comments from anyone that may have 'downsized' in this manner, or if there's anything important i need to consider. Equally, if anyone is looking to buy a quality 'out of the box' 5.1 system then do shout up.

ash23t

You don't need room shaking bass, but you do still need bass going down to a reasonably low level in order to enjoy both music and Movies.

Sonos does mid-bass, but not low down bass. So add a sub into the setup if you must go down this route.

Brooktop

Thing is the Sonos sub is very expensive. Reviews seem to say it's goid for the Soundbar but the Playbase has its own S sub that's supposed to be pretty good.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom