1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swap Meridian 507 and Toshiba 9500 for a DVDFLR?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by ChrisNic, Aug 24, 2005.

1. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    For the value of my Meridian 507 cd player and Toshiba 9500 dvd player I could probably get a DVDFLR but would it kill two birds with one stone?

I have just compared my 9500 (using my DP's DAC's) against my 507 (using the 507's DAC's) both TMREQ'd and did find the meridian better which I had hoped, it was more detailed and punchy but it got me thinking about whether a DVDFLR would be as good as my 507 and sound to my taste?

It would be nice to reduce the number of boxes I have and I would be lying if I said it wouldnt be nice to have another piece of Tag equipment!

Any thoughts?

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The TAG is a very good CD player and also a better video machine than the Tosh..... I'd try one out certainly.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The video isn't much different but my DVD32R is certainly better on audio than my 9500 but neither is a slouch. FLR I have little experrience on.

4. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hang onto your Tosh - I've found mine will play some of the home-baked DVDs I've been sent which the FLR turns it nose up at.

I can't comment on the video because I went from s-video to RGB when I added the FLR. My Tosh is somewhat older than the 9500 but it still did a fair job on DVDs. True, the FLR does make CDs sound better but it also integrates beautifully with the processor.

If I was starting without a DVD and CD source, I'd definitely go for the FLR if it was the same money. Its harder to justify the spend if you already have the Tosh.

Jump in your car and you can probably be here in 40 mins. Come over and have a tinker during the weekend if you wish.

5. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I would have to find an FLR to buy anyway, probably not an easy task!

You have PM edward :)

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    I've had no problems with my FLR playing any DVD+R or DVD-R as yet :thumbsup:

7. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My FLR has played everyting I've put in the tray so far for the past three years, copies included.

8. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Remind me to beat my mates for their crappy DVD gifts!

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I agree the TAG sanyo based units play everything I've thrown at it. Of course if people make their home DVD's on dodgy blanks (of which there are a great many) or dodgy software or PC drives, you can't blame the TAG for that......

10. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Blanks that I use are usually Datasafe 8x DVD+R. I'vbe also used Memorex, Fujifilm, TDK, Platignum, Datawrite, Ricoh as well as no names. All with no problems.......so far :thumbsup:

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I use the Udo solution to this problem Tag for DVD / CD. Other 'cheap' players for the other formats. My Tag plays virtually nothing but DVD / CD (which is what it was designed and bought for).

12. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ha! I can't even tell you what these things are - they have no labelling on them - they're just plain white with a number written in black around the centre hole.

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Having been to several meetings over the years on the subject of DVD media and long term archiving, trust me when I say I'm surprised any of them work..... We have had disks that make perfect copies (as tested on very expensive test equipment) only to refuse to play at all after several months......... We didn't buy cheap disks either, batch issues also play havoc with readability...... Add firmware of the burners and software patches and you get the picture........ Its magic guys......

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I know what you mean Nic but, a DVD-R suitably properly mastered is still a DVD, frankly I'd expect any player to play it......Not an issue for me as both my own and works DVD32's play every disk I've put in it.......

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    unforunately my DVD32R doesn't :( but I don't use them much :) and it is a great excuse to buy new players :) Two more this week ;)

16. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Ah so your the one with the last functioning Tagaki mech then :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Sorry couldn't resist.......

17. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Right where did I leave the pins and the model of your DVD player :)

18. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
  19. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I don't care now that my HTPC gives a better pciture and sounds the same :D :D :D

20. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Graham whats your HTPC spec ? I've been thinking that sometime in the future HTPC will be the way to go. Maybe in a year or so. My DVD32R still performing well and while it is I'll stick with it. I'll need to do some serious research. Theres some nice kit out there now. Quiet a few pc manufacturers seem to be building pc's specifically for av use. Some of them are quiet pricey UVEM for one. Interesting to see, you stated that you've managed to configure one which is sounding better than the Tag DVD32. Last thread I followed mentioned that theres still a big gap in sound quality.

21. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Phil.

Its serious, very serious..... 3.6Ghz P4 955XE chipset MB, 2Gb DDR2 800MhzFSB, RME HDSP9632 soundcard, 8700GTX PCI-e graphics, dual gigabit ethernet, mirrored 400GB SATA disks, 5TB of NAS storage, a whole heap of silent PC parts, VFD information, full IR remote control and remote access, XP pro, TheatreTek 2.1 renderless mode, Xlobby front end, and a huge pile of other clever bits and pieces that go to make up the beast.....
    Personally I'd go the UVEM route, it might sound like a lot of money but trust me, no-one else has the depth of knowledge and all the answers to make the system fly like Phil and Sam. Anyone can build an HTPC, very few actually get it perfect..... We bought them.......and will buy more. At the end of the day it is even the most economical route for that standard of performance. Once you have watched a HD demo using a UVEM as the source you will want one..... It does everything a DVD32R can do and a lot more besides for not much more than half the money..... If you resist the temptation to fiddle it works far more reliably as well.....

22. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Now that wasn't very nice mate, every time I boot the DVD32R up the AV192R says can't find sync link until the DVD32R displays "no disk", then the AV192R says "DVD32R-T2L" and then continues normally (for now).... Never used to do that..... Take the pins out please :lease: :lease:

Any ideas Steve? Is this just a new feature of the replaced Pantera??? As I said it seems to work but...............

23. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    pins removed, you should be okay now ;) Good luck with the new job (and the player)!!

24. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Graham.

How does the UVEM system sound compared to the Tag DVD32R ?
    Sorry for the basic questions but looking at the UVEM specs there seems to be a lot of duplication regarding the sound cards compared to the surround processing in the AV32R. Is it simply spdif out from the uvem and let the Tag do the processing and get a cheaper sound card ? I must read some info on this subject to clear things up. Does the UVEM have a top end DVD player mech ? Regarding audio replay getting the digital info from the UVEM to the AV32 what should I be concerned about ?. Build quality and driver mechs on the TAG DVD32R must be where a large amount of the costs went surely ? Dont really want to end up with two boxes one for audio CD replay and the UVEM for movies. TIA... :smashin:

25. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    GrahamMG

What version of case are you using from UVEM

And what power supply is running that lot ?

26. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Nic, does your player do the same now? It is far to regular to be anything other than delibrate..... As I said it sticks to -T2L once its playing and pulling the sync link out does give the error message....Strange....

27. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Phil.
    It gets a bit complicated but my currfent "project" sounds every bit as good as the DVD32R on CD and the video is obviously better now..... I always rip DVD or CD and then play back via the server so use the DVD-Rom drive on the HTPC rarely..... My main host PC for all this ingesting has a nice Plextor unit with either EAC software or the DVDDecryptor re-birth clone.... These make exact copies of the material.... I feed the digital output from the sound card direct into the AV192R. This might seem extreme as I only use the digital output from the card but I've tried just about every other card and they are all different (some hopeless), the RME does some nice re-syncing of the signal and to all practical purposes does a great job and it by far the most "quiet" card out there..... Having studied the Tag Sync link and spending hours getting a PC to sync up to the signal, I gave up on it as this solution sounded the same.... Incidentally, playing CD's straight off the PC drive makes it very difficult to tell if the DVD32R is better now...... The only thing you really really have to get to grips with is making sure you build all signal noise out of the system as best you can, this takes time but of course if your material never has really quiet passages you will never notice it..... The DVD32R uses a posh PC drive anyway..... ;)

28. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The cases we had Phil build thus far are the big silverstone cases (wonder why!) with 450/500W PSU's, his classic case is rather prettier though but we did cram a lot of gear inside ours....... Now we have the storage elsewhere (saves nose and heat inside the HTPC box) I'd ask Phil to use the Classic case in future as the VFD thing is a real pain to get working.... My own project uses a 450W silentMaxx semi fanless design and works fine..... everything else has heat pipe cooling or very very big heatsinks and even bigger slow moving fans.....
    If I added up the effort I have put into my HTPC no-one would buy it......It makes Phil's HCPC's a very very good deal, especially as he does things I am still learning about.....

29. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Graham, my player is now operating normally, and shows non of the signs your player does. I hope it is not signs of an impending failure.

30. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Now why doesn't that surprise me..... Now where are my torx drivers.....