Swap Magic

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Marc, Aug 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    i found this site www.slidecards.co.uk who sell the PS2 Swap Magic/Slide Card combo which lets you play import ps2 games without needing a mod chip which I think is a good idea cos i'm awful at soldering! :smashin:

They're selling it for £20.95, which is so far the cheapest i've managed to find it anywhere and they accept paypal which is great cos i had loads of ebay funds to spend!

My pack is being shipped out tomorrow :) so all i need to do now is get a copy of Winning Eleven 8 and i'll be in heaven! :clap:

Marc

2. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Do these actually work? Do they boot in 60hz?

3. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Eeek. I don't like the look of "knifing" open my cd tray every time I want to play a game.

Think I'll give it a miss...

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Fully agree with you, when i first saw this post i was hoping it would be like freeloader so i could play WE8. but no way am i'm going to that hassle just to play games.

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    i got mine on monday and i've been impressed thus far. You just put in the boot disc and it comes up "insert disc" then you slide open the tray with the slide card, which is very easy, take the boot disc out, put the game disc in, close the door and then slide the mechanism back. Pressing X then boots the import/copied game. So far it's worked with Driv3r, Silent Hill 4, Resident Evil Outbreak, Winning XI 8, Jak II and Spiderman 2. I don't think you're doing any more harm to the dvd-rom drive than you would "paperclipping" a pc dvd rom drive, and thats perfectly safe as long as you don't pull really fast and tear the gears.

6. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Do the games run in 60hz or are they bordered?

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    they run as normal, so the pal ones run 50hz and bordered, the ntsc ones run 60hz full frame.

8. dinamite

dinamite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    it's £30 there.. thats a lot more than the 20.95 it is at slidecards, or www.ps2upgrade.com where they moved to the other week

10. Stevo99

Stevo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    ive used this and its very easy and works every time, highly reccomended

11. vespaman71

vespaman71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know if i could make a back up copy of the two discs incase mine gets damaged.im told by the supplier that you cant. :hiya:

12. Stevo99

Stevo99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    i dont think you can as its a compressed disk

13. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    since you need the swap magic disc in order to play backups, you'd need the swap magic disc to play the backup of the swap magic disc :p

so, no :laugh:

14. PaulUK123

PaulUK123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,878
    Been along time since I tried the knife trick but all I needed was Action Replay and a tool I made out of an old credit card to slide the drive tray open, only danger with this method is that you can misalign the laser which will mean you wont be able to read anything and if not carefull you can snap the clip of the disc tray, in the end it was a combination of these factors that made me install a modchip.

16. durandal

durandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wondering if anybody can help.
    I have an old modchip in my PS2 (neo 2.2 i think), but i have lost the AR2 v2 disc which I used to swap my CD's. Now, I want to be able to use DVD-R backups so should i be going for a swap magic instead of a new AR disc, and can i get away with not using the slide tool since i've got the modchip?
    TIA

17. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,878
    The swap magic disc should work instead of the Action Replay disc as they will both perform the same function and if with the AR disc and modchip you didnt have to use a slide tool then you shouldnt need to use one now.

18. durandal

durandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,
    I know it works for CD-R's, but I was just wondering if it'll work with DVD-R's without the slide tool since i've never tried them

19. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    out of interest, how did you get the action replay dvd out if you didn't use a slide tool? If you had to use an "eject" function on the AR disc, then no it won't work because the swap magic dvd doesn't have one, instead it tricks the ps2 by acting as the boot sector for the game, and then letting you swap the disc without the ps2 knowing. Pushing the eject button on the ps2 nullifies everything the swap magic disc does.

20. durandal

durandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you hold down the power button while ar2 boots up. the drawer then opens and closes automatically, giving you (just) enough time to swap the discs. i dont know if this will work with swap magic though

21. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    it might but i'm doubtful. With swap magic, you insert the dvd and it boots like a ps2 game would and then a screen comes up saying INSERT DISC, or on newer versions it has a bit more info than that, but both require you to slide the drawer open, insert the game, close the drawer and press X to boot the game.

22. durandal

durandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So my swap magic discs just arrived. Got them from ebay - seem to be copies but they boot ok?, which is weird.
    And if anyone's interested, the power up trick works with them! great news, no slide card needed.
    Now playing my first, ahem, DVD backup of one of my official PS2 games!
    happy chappie :thumbsup:

23. crushking

crushking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using my swap magic and slide card now for about a year and I have no problems,except for games that have swap protection.
    It's not anything like KNIFING open the drive :confused: (how exactly could you do that neway?)its a smooth motion that does not feel forced simply engaging the mechanism to open the cd tray.The swap magic does NOT jam or stop the motor,you only insert the slide tool after the motor has stopped spinning.
    Also it takes some practice to use the slide tool effectively,at first its a bit strange,but once you get the hang of it it works like a dream. :smashin:
    I think that if you are careful and use the slide tool correctly no damage can be done to your system.

24. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    its possible to make the swap protection games (most new EA games, Tekken 5, Project Snowblind as well as high TOC games, T3 Redemption, again most EA games) work if you have cd-loader v7 all beta 5.2 :smashin: converted into dvd iso format and burned on a dvd, AND an original high TOC game. the cdloader program is public domain so i could email it to you if you want. it's a 1.2gb dvd iso rarred down to 850kb. Mind you, Swap Magic 3.3 is supposed to get around these problems anyway, but im stuck with 2.0

25. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I ordered, he didn't ship, I whinged via email and he did.

But yes, dodgy as hell. A lot of places offering Swap Magic unfortunately are.

26. Blade2005

Blade2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    does that u mean u dont need any other device to boot copyed games all u need is the swap magic CD?????

27. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,101
    you also need some method to do the disc swap, so either a slide-card or flip-top, but apart from that, you don't need anything else.

28. IanAG

IanAG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, I had to threaten contacting paypal in the first place before he posted about 2 weeks late. Then I had to make a claim with paypal before he provided me with a tracking number. The reason it took so long for me to get it wasn't entirely his fault but between him and royal mail I have wasted a fair bit of time.

I would avoid anyway, the prices aren't much better if at all and there are plenty of other places selling these devices.

29. Solar

Solar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +467
    i like bringing up fairly old threads but....
    i ordered the swap discs from http://www.modmonster.com for a whole £13.10, though i ordered the fliptop lid for the slim ps2 aswell, so in total including shipping it came to £26.60
    a bargain compared to some prices posted in this topic :eek:

30. SWAPMAGIC

SWAPMAGIC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juys Please Help Me ....... I Want To Buy A Swap Magic Disk + Tool For The Bulky Ps2 And Was Wondering If Any Of U Guys Can Recommend Where I Could Buy One Online Using A Visa Electron Card.......please Recommend The Online Shop U Used Your Self.......cheers.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.