Swap a EPOS M for a XLS200 - worth it?

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Thats a tough one and I dont think there is much in it. For the cost of them new it would be the XLS every time. That said, I would probably side with the BK just on rep alone. I beleive the epos els and the M are the same apart from a few extra bobs and whistles, and the els/m are in the rough same ball park as the BK.

Best thing, test em side by side and see what you think. Only risk, he might just decide to take the BK back with him.

creative

Novice Member
Tested side by side and your right not much in it. It seems the epos goes louder, probably due to it's size but the xls200 is a cleaner bass.
For it's size the xls200 sounds bloody amazing though.

The epos does have the infamous humming sound coming from the back. Though it's very low I've read on here somewhere this could be the starting point for the epos to die soon. Is this right?

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Not necessarily, its not uncommon for a ground loop to cause a hum, or if you turn the gain up on the sub so the amp is working harder, this to can cause a hum. Neither are uncommon and neither are related to a sub on its last legs.

Your best asking amongst the owners if you can find any, if there are any issues known that are common ways for Epos subs to die.

As for which sub, I'd go for the cleaner bass every time. The chances are the BK is probably loud enough for you anyway.

creative

Novice Member
The hum is when its on standby - even with the gain turn down.

If this is not uncommon then can probably be dismissed, unless current of previous EPOS M owners can say otherwise.

We will give the two another few rounds of testing tomorrow to decide whether a swap is worth it or not..... The EPOS M does look nice though...... But then again if you add a granite or thick MDF plinth to the XLS200 it will look just as nice (and smaller)...........

creative

Novice Member
After spending most if the day testing and comparing these two id confess to the XLS200 being better (obviously just my opinion - and what sounds good to me).

Tested a number of music tracks (mostly R&B) and movies (ie Transformers, Terminator, Cloverfield, etc) and the XLS200 just seemed to be cleaner. The EPOS M seemed to go slightly deeper but it wasnt as controlled. The XLS200 integration with a set of HC speakers was better where as the EPOS M seemed to go off on its own.

If i was going on looks, the EPOS M looks bloody beautiful. The XLS200 is just a small box (good if your limited for space). The EPOS M looking like the man and the XLS200 being a child.

Id be tempted to go for the XLS200 on sound quality, but has anyone else compared these two - just so i dont give a biassed opinion to a mate who then hates me for sending him down the wrong path...?

mark.cup

Novice Member
Gloss black XLS200 looks stunning best of both worlds!

the looks of a lifestyle product with a huge sound at a cracking price:clap:

phil2009

Novice Member
Ive just bought a XLS200 in light oak and I love it, it thrashes my logitech z-680 8" sub 10 times over:D

Oh yeah I dont get any hum with mine, even when the room is silent, theres nothing comming from it at all:thumbsup:

jb001e9634

Novice Member
Oh yeah I dont get any hum with mine, even when the room is silent, theres nothing comming from it at all:thumbsup:
Do you get it if you turn the gain past 12 o'clock. I have had it with mine from the start, but it's only set to 11 o'clock ish (plenty loud enough)?

I do intend ringing BK to get some advice, but as it isn't causing a problem and I've been really busy I haven't got around to it yet.

Out of interest do Monolith's have the same issue with ground loop hum?

creative

Novice Member
The humming is coming from the epos not the xls.

I suppose the real question is. Is it worth mving from a epos m to a xls200?

phil2009

Novice Member
Do you get it if you turn the gain past 12 o'clock. I have had it with mine from the start, but it's only set to 11 o'clock ish (plenty loud enough)?

I do intend ringing BK to get some advice, but as it isn't causing a problem and I've been really busy I haven't got around to it yet.

Out of interest do Monolith's have the same issue with ground loop hum?
I haven gone past 12 oclock,, well actually i did go to the max for a few secs when I first got it and figgering out what all the knobs did, but I didnt notice any humming sounds. I have mine set at 10 oclock atm, and I think thats where its staying

I would try your sub in a diff house and see if its still there, and if its gone, its something todo with you earth in your house. Also try a diff power lead.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom