Swann vs Hikvision, my experience.

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've recently install a Hikvision system at home and this week installed a swann system at work so thought it may be useful to compare the two setups as swann and Hikvision get mentioned a fair bit.

My home set up is a Hikvision DS-7604 nvr to which I've added 3 cameras. The cameras are 4mp, a mixture of bullet and dome all connected with poe. They look and feel quality with what looks like very good build quality with some weight to them. Installation is very easy and using Cat5e makes running wires pretty straight forward. The nvr auto detects the cameras when plugged making setup a breeze. The nvr software works well and is easy to understand and set up your cameras and recording modes as required. Motion detection works well but even on the lowest setting a small bug can set it off. PQ from the cameras is very good and faces can be made out even from my house to the street. Night vision is very good and they even work well with NV turned off. Cost for nvr and 3 cameras and Cat5e was around £500.

Now this week I've installed a Swann system at work (this one). This set up uses BNC connectors and power line so the cable is somewhat bigger and you'll need a large hole if drilling through walls to allow the connector to pass through. Set up was a bit of a surprise as its almost identical to the Hikvision nvr. Knew Swann and Hikvision were in bed together but didn't expect the software to be the same. Plugging in cameras was also a breeze, each one automatically appearing on screen. The kit came with 4 cameras rated at around a low 0.5mp and you can tell, PQ is awful, can only make out faces if the camera is very close and you can forget zooming in. Build quality is not the best, the cameras feel light weight and cheaply made. However if you just want to watch your garden/drive this may be fine for your needs. Night vision is OK but not brilliant. Cost for this 4 camera system was £199.

Pretty shocked to see the nvr software was almost the same on both systems, not something I was expecting. Both are very easy to set up in just a few minutes once the camera and cables have been installed. Both can be watched using a smart phone and mobile viewing is pretty good.

If you want quality go Hikvision, if you want a cheap and cheerful go swann but don't expect great PQ unless you start going up the range at which point your into Hikvision prices. Software on both appears to be the same and is very easy to set up/use.

I love the hikvision system installed on a friends house and it puts my axis ip system to shame

The axis system cost circa £3500 the hikvision less than £1000

Just wish Hik-Connect was slightly better as an app

I installed a swann system back in 2011/12. It was easy to set up and has worked flawlessly ever since, my only issues have been the terrible image quality, the crappy android app and the odd format videos are saved in. I was very disappointed when I first realized how bad the image was.

I am keen to change to a hikvision system. As I am not in a rush I am waiting to see if 5mp wdr turret cameras are released in the UK. When they are I will jump in. If not I may just go for the 4mp.

I installed a swann system back in 2011/12. It was easy to set up and has worked flawlessly ever since, my only issues have been the terrible image quality, the crappy android app and the odd format videos are saved in. I was very disappointed when I first realized how bad the image was.

I am keen to change to a hikvision system. As I am not in a rush I am waiting to see if 5mp wdr turret cameras are released in the UK. When they are I will jump in. If not I may just go for the 4mp.
The 4mp cameras are very good.

I think you've compared Apple's and oranges there.

For £500 you can get a 4 camera POE swann system with 4mp cameras.

If the software is near identical and the system I described makes it basically the same system for the same price.

Your comparison was like taking out a VW polo in poverty spec trim and comparing it to the top spec 1 series BMW.
You should take out the top Golf or of course the 1 series will be better.

Hi, Where is best place to purchase a Hikvision system so will come with support and firmware updates? UK supplier?

Home-cctv are authorised and very helpful

Not connected in anyway but I've purchased from them and they are helpful and knowledgeable

@True Romance
Do you use the ios/android app to view at all. Im on the verge of buying a Hikvision system and this is one aspect of the install that I am keen works well ??

@True Romance
Do you use the ios/android app to view at all. Im on the verge of buying a Hikvision system and this is one aspect of the install that I am keen works well ??
Use the iVMS-4500 app, works great with my Hikvision system.

Cheers - thanks for the info.
Out of interest - where did you purchase the Hikvision kit?
Just surfing around to try and find the best price at the moment.

Cheers - thanks for the info.
Out of interest - where did you purchase the Hikvision kit?
Just surfing around to try and find the best price at the moment.
Amazon (direct not market place). One of the cheapest places but don't think they are authorised Hikvision sellers.

Does anyone know what ADI prices are like compared to Amazon and use-ip? As I don't have an account they won't give any prices over the phone. I have read that if you turn up in person with cash they may sell to you. When I have a list of equipment I want I may give it a try but only if a decent saving can be had.

Use the iVMS-4500 app, works great with my Hikvision system.
second that recommendation

easy to setup for viewing outside the house

connect unit to router
in app add device by entering serial number
in app add device security verification code

unit now online without port forwarding or any changes to router etc

Just ordered a HiKvision kit from cctv kits - little apprehensive about fitting them but we'll see how it goes!!

Went for 3 x 4mm dome cameras with the DS7604 box with a 1tb HD. - Not sure if I can link this to my NAS drive?

Ordered 100m of CAT5 cable as well so should give me something to do at the weekend if its here!

Arcam boy if you haven't done cat5 connectors before then I suggest the following from eBay

Module cat 5 plug

Makes it so much easier to get the individual cables in correct orientation

Thanks buddy.

I've made up some CAT5 connectors before so hopefully it'll go OK!

It says it comes with RJ45 connectors and a crimping tool so hopefully they'll be of decent quality!

I'm more concerned with running the cables etc. I'd rather them go straight in to the house rather than running them all around the outside of the house but I'll probably have to come to some sort of compromise with that one!

I'm gathering its only a single CAT5 cable to each camera and nothing else??

Yes just one cable per camera

Good job @True Romance is a local lad, he must be a pro at installing these ;);)

Good job @True Romance is a local lad, he must be a pro at installing these ;);)
Mark I'd love to help but firstly they are a piece of cake to install and second I'm on the iron bird to the far east this week ;) I've put my nvr in the bedroom and run the cat5 up through the the sofit into the loft then back down into the bedroom. You could put the whole set up in the loft and just run a hdmi cable down to your tv and use a wireless mouse to control it. Honestly they are very easy to install.

Mark I'd love to help but firstly they are a piece of cake to install and second I'm on the iron bird to the far east this week ;) I've put my nvr in the bedroom and run the cat5 up through the the sofit into the loft then back down into the bedroom. You could put the whole set up in the loft and just run a hdmi cable down to your tv and use a wireless mouse to control it. Honestly they are very easy to install.

I was only joking matey I'm sure it'll be fine. I've turned the old airing cupboard in to an ' AV cupboard' which houses 3 x Sonos Connect Amps a NAS drive and has a 12 port ethernet switch and power so I plan on putting the NVR in there and running a HDMI to the TV in the bedroom, like you have.

Dubai again?

I was only joking matey I'm sure it'll be fine. I've turned the old airing cupboard in to an ' AV cupboard' which houses 3 x Sonos Connect Amps a NAS drive and has a 12 port ethernet switch and power so I plan on putting the NVR in there and running a HDMI to the TV in the bedroom, like you have.

Dubai again?
Going to KL and Singapore, again ;)

Going to KL and Singapore, again ;)

Oh my God, you lucky so and so! I'm not even going to deny I'm very jealous indeed - enjoy mate!

Going back to boring CCTV - How would a security light effect the camera at night time as the one at the rear would be around 4 feet away from the security light.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom