Swann DVR9-4200 Mainboard

Ceemac66

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all. First time posting on here. I hope you can help.....
I found my CCTV with no power one day. On investigation I found what looks to be capacitor C1114 had burst.
Lots of internet searching, Youtube watching and emails to Swann but there seems to be no info about the mainboard to help me identify the value/rating of this cap.
I realise this unit isnt the most expensive item around but I'm sure you all, like me, get a buzz out of resurrecting dead tech!
Anyone with this unit who is willing to open it and take a photo for me? Or anyone with info on this mainboard please?
Thanks in advance.....

Welcome to the forum.

Capacitors are normally designed to burst 'safely' by relieving pressure at the cap such that the value is still normally readable on the body.

Are you sure it is a capacitor? Is a photo possible?

Thanks Gavtech.

Fairly sure, see pic.....

Attachments

• 20170801_154608.jpg
    20170801_154608.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 741
Its very difficult to see what exactly has happened in that (bad!) mess.

The major concern is that the leaked electrolyte will have done damage to the surrounding board and components.
It seems there are other components under that mess ( has the plastic base pad of the cap melted too?)

I have no information at all unfortunately about this unit.

With little to lose it may be worth trying to clean it up and replacing with a 16V 220uF VT series cap which matches the others in the area.

The one above it (in the picture) is leaking and needs replacing too.

Im not sure, Gavtech. It looks like the cap above it is sound. The mess came from C1114. Also, the other caps that you mention all have the black plastic bases and a white line border. C1114 doesn't. It looks like it was maybe sat on that copper pad (heatsink?).

OK. - I just can't see enough in three dimensions to make sense of it.

Sadly I probably could not be much help even if I could.
Good solid information is required.

I've searched the forum and there is not another single mention of this machine - so no-one to approach.
There are some owners of other models ( search for Swan DVR) - so assuming model similarity, it may be possible to find someone who has a similar machine.

@Ceemac66 We have the exact model and exact problem! Were you able to know the correct rating for the capacitor? (By the way, shouldn't it be C1272?)

Hi, it wasn't/isn't a capacitor....
It looked like it was C1114 but there were too many inconsitencies with the other capacitors. I followed the tracks back and found the component connected to a RTC. An RTC needs a crystal to work, or at least this one does. When I investigated further I found it was a crystal! I replaced the crystal and now have a working system.

Hi Ceemac66
I have same problem bad crystal I see that you replaced yours can you give me the specs that you replaced it with. Many Thanks

Hi Ceemac66
I have same problem bad crystal I see that you replaced yours can you give me the specs that you replaced it with. Many Thanks

Hi Joemag, I put a 32.7khz crystal in and it now works fine.
Good luck
Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom