SW Trilogy PAL/NTSC AR question

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Tsunamijhoe, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Tsunamijhoe

Tsunamijhoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know why they change the AR from 2.35:1 on NTSC to 1.78:1 (16:9) on PAL?? Why do they even do it? How is it done? will pic info get lost during the conversion? In order to convert the AR don´t they need to cut the sides of the pic to make it fit on a 16:9 screen?? This has not only happend to SW trilogy,but also to a lot of other EU PAL titles,and i can´t figure out why they would do that

2. allanp

allanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    They are 2.35:1 on the PAL discs.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,897
    Tsunamijhoe - I guess you are misinterpreting the packaging (easy to do).

4. Tsunamijhoe

Tsunamijhoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK,i don´t have the PAL discs,only the R1 versions,but on all the retail sites i have looked,the AR on the PAL version is set to 1.78:1,but if they truly are 2.35:1 then no fret :).. One more thing, does the PAL version also have really crappy sound on the first movie? I think the sound keeps switching between "muddy" with hard to hear dialogue and "crispy" with almost too much treble,does anybody else have this problem? That said,there is nothing wrong with my system or setup,as my old Laserdisc special editions have really great sound.

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Its an old film, it aint gonna sound like EP2

6. Tsunamijhoe

Tsunamijhoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apparently you didn´t read my post,as i said my laserdisc special edition of "new hope" sounds WAY better than the new trilogy version of new hope,so it has nothing to do with it being an "old movie" as the sound has been remixed for the new trilogy,and i think they did a ****ty job at that. Apparently others have experienced the same thing,so it is the new DD5.1 mix that stinks big time.. On the bright side,the pic is truly fantastic to watch on my 123" screen with a DVDo Iscan pro linedoubler :)