SW radio query

jchrishall2000

Standard Member
Ok, so this isn't strictly about DAB/FM radio, but I hope you don't mind a quick shortwave query?!
Thinking of buying a SW radio for picking up the BBC World Service while in Italy (nr. Verona/Venice) and saw a nice one on Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=222276&doy=21m5#spec)
The spec shows the frequency range as Short Wave (8 bands): 5.80 - 21.95 Mhz. I checked using the BBC World Service website if this would allow me to receive World Service on holiday in Italy but the website (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/worldservice/psims/ScheduleSDT.cgi?Pg=Fp&Sx=venice) tells me that the local station is HOT BIRD 8 - 13 DEGS EAST - SERVICE ID 13907. What does this mean? Is there an equivalent SW frequency?
Hopefully some smart person knows the answer to this one? Or perhaps you can suggest where I should look for the answer?
Ta
Chris:lease:

Badger0-0

Pulled from Wikipedia:

On Monday, February 18, 2008, the BBC World Service stopped shortwave transmissions to Europe. The notice stated, "Increasing numbers of people around the world are choosing to listen to radio on a range of other platforms including FM, satellite and online, with fewer listening on shortwave.

jchrishall2000

Standard Member
Pulled from Wikipedia:

On Monday, February 18, 2008, the BBC World Service stopped shortwave transmissions to Europe. The notice stated, "Increasing numbers of people around the world are choosing to listen to radio on a range of other platforms including FM, satellite and online, with fewer listening on shortwave.
Thanks for your reply.
Can I get BBC World Service on FM in Italy?
Ta
Chris

Badger0-0

I've just been having a look for you.
It appears not. I did see something about a station in rome broadcasting Newsnight for one hour at 11pm, but didn't think that was much use.

jchrishall2000

Standard Member
I've just been having a look for you.
It appears not. I did see something about a station in rome broadcasting Newsnight for one hour at 11pm, but didn't think that was much use.
Actually, that would be great - just able to listen to the news after the kids have gone to bed! Can you point me in the right direction to the source?
Thanks again!
Chris:clap:

Badger0-0

It seems somewhat academic, because of this, again from Wikipedia;

BBC World News is most commonly watched as an FTA Channel. The channel is available free-to-air (FTA) in Italy, via digital terrestrial television, and in all parts of Europe and many parts of the world FTA via satellite. (It was also available via terrestrial FTA in Berlin from c. 2000 to March 2007). Although not officially available in the UK it is available to people who point their satellite dishes at Astra 1, Hot Bird and Thor. In most of the world, it is carried on nearly all satellite and cable platforms.

If you're staying in a hotel, it will most likely be freely available on telly.

I could probably dig out the link if you need it though.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
As already mentioned BBC World (TV) can be picked up on a satellite dish. You can buy the "caravan" dish packs at maplin with receiver all for around 70 quid.

A more portable solution might a Worldspace receiver for radio. These are small and portable. The dish is only about the size of a CD. You have to have a clear view of the sky through a window though.

Try ebay for a receiver or Nevada radio in England.

See www.worldspace.com BBC world service is free.

mike7

Distinguished Member
Or would a portable DAB radio do the trick for picking up BBC World Service in Italy?
No possibility I'm afraid. Most hotels these days have a channel devoted to news. If you are lucky this may be BBC or Sky. If you are not so lucky it will be CNN. Why not give the news a miss on holiday. Relax and enjoy yourself !

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Netflix in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom