SW Episode II Official Review

Beat me to it.:D I can't wait to get my copy now 33 days to go.:(

looks like the new demo DVD has arrived :cool:

01.jpg

04.jpg

08.jpg

Paul

Originally posted by James45
as cartoons go tho Monster's Inc and Toy Story beat it hands down every time!
Come on you know you want it.:D

There's another review at www.thedigitalbits.com

I'll believe "absolutely no edge enhancement at all" when I've got the baby on my TV and not a moment before.

It all wets the appetite though. I remember when I got the Ep1 disc through I was up til nearly 4 in the morning going through all the extras and whatever on disc 2. It's a shame they didn't include a documentary like "The Beginning" on this one.

Can't wait to read all the "X company posted my disc 3 hours ago and it's not here yet:mad:" threads once the first person recieves their disc and jealousy kicks in for everyone else. Should be worth a giggle:p

I bet the region 1 disk starts shipping about two weeks before the release date and the region 2 about a week.

Sorry, but some of the CGI shots did look naff. That pic of the Clone-Trooper behined Natalie (oooo baby) looks like a cut & paste job.

Infact, the only things that look OK are the Lightsabre effects, and they're still done the same way as they were done in the 70's & 80's.

Still, at least it's better than TPM. Mind you, Benji was more entertaining than TPM... :D

JD
PS. By the way, I preordered it too! :rolleyes:

For those who complain that the CGI is a "cut and paste" job, let me see you do better. :rolleyes:

Oblivion's screenshots remind me of the great visuals that many of us are looking forward to.

Can't wait to read all the "X company posted my disc 3 hours ago and it's not here yet" threads once the first person recieves their disc and jealousy kicks in for everyone else. Should be worth a giggle

Followed by the obligatory:

" The company said it would come in 24 hours":rolleyes:

"Erm no, normally put in the post in 24 hours" :eek:

had a sneaky press only review disc for a few weeks now,you wont be disappointed.

Sorry, but Kevb's picture looks better than that Clone-Trooper. Be honest, does it really look like the Clone-Geezer is standing there? Nope!

All i'm saying is, wouldn't it of looked better with an actor in a suit? The depth's all wrong.

Using GCI in most scene's looks great, but human movment - no-way. Just watch the movement of Anakin riding on that giant flea thing, during the picnic scene.

And to me, these new films have lost their human side.

I'm not knocking CGI, but there's got to be a limit to it.

JD
PS. AOTC had just over 2000 CGI shots. Is that more than Monsters Inc?

Attack of the Clones is filmmaking gone to hell.

Who cares if the cgi is weak in some points, most of the time its damn impressive. Everything else that makes a film, are the big problem areas.

Originally posted by eli_cash
Attack of the Clones is filmmaking gone to hell.

Who cares if the cgi is weak in some points, most of the time its damn impressive. Everything else that makes a film, are the big problem areas.

Have to agree with Eli. Stop picking the tech. in the bloody film (and all those other titles with CGI) apart and just watch the movie. Then crit the actual film and say if it was enjoyable or not. You only upset yourself and spoil the experience for you if you "look for problems/mistakes/CGI anomolies" in every new release.

Personally I blame DVD's with all those extras. Films are losing their soul & mystery because the directors/scriptwriters/actors explain the whole process to death!:mad:

Once I watch a film, I prefer to turn off the disk and move on to something else.

There's a nice quote here taken from a review and I make the guy dead right.

this is a Star Wars movie. Some people like to compare it to other movies to bash it, when you should just compare it to other Star Wars movies. It's not better than Empire, and it's doubtful that even Episode III will topple that one, but it is better than The Phantom Menace and in my opinion it's even better than Jedi. Both Jedi and Phantom are flawed, which put them on about even ground in my book.

For hardcore Star Wars fans, there is just so much to like in the movie. You'd truly have to be a cynical whiny little punk to hate this movie as a Star Wars film. We get to see the Lars homestead and learn that Owen and Beru really were related to Luke, Boba Fett's origin is revealed, Palpatine's rise to power is completed as Jar Jar's "purpose" in the saga is finally revealed, and probably most important to action-craving fans, we see the beginning of the famous Clone Wars.

Originally posted by Nobber22
Films are losing their soul & mystery

AOTC doesn't have any soul or mystery!! It's a terrible film made worse by Lucas' CGI wet-dream. Without going into detail the script, acting, plot, directorial judgement and over-use of CGI are huge, HUGE flaws in this 'film'. Phantom and AOTC don't even compare to the original trilogy and to say AOTC is better than Jedi... don't make me laugh. Jedi (which I never had a problem with) kicks the ass of both Phantom and AOTC, if anything I prefered Phantom to AOTC, which to my mind was a completely and utterly souless, sci-fi film-making by numbers effort.

I've finally convinced myself to cancel the preorder!!

Originally posted by kevb
There's a nice quote here taken from a review and I make the guy dead right.
Like b***ocks it's cynical and whiny to hate it as a Star Wars film. I'm sorry, but SW2 is a cynical cash in by Lucas. It's clearly driven to drive sales of the computer games, the plot is ****, the characterisation weak.

The Yoda incident and the R2D2 jet thing ruined the film. The tattoine section is mediocre, there are so many plot holes it's difficult to know where to begin. Some of the FX is very good, but FX does not make a film.

I do like Star Wars (playing Jedi Knight at times, and that's very good, and in keeping with the Star Wars spirit) but episodes 1 and 2 dont match up to 4-6 (although I'll concede that 6 had a lot of flaws, and I'm really not a fan of the sodding ewoks).

PK

James45, good man for cancelling. It may only be another brick in the wall but you have to try to stop these crap films from gaining too much money, notoriety and confidence, that they can do it all again next summer.

(p.s. I think I had a discussion about Spiderman under the name of redlum with you, before I asked to be banned. Well, I saw the film and thought it was good fun {but Raimi's direction was definately not inspired/inspiring}....although I wont be buying it on dvd)

Originally posted by Matinee
episodes 1 and 2 dont match up to 4-6 (although I'll concede that 6 had a lot of flaws

Guys, can we just step back from the series as Star Wars and see it for what it is: call it a prequel if you want to, but TPM and AOTC are just 2 more films in a long, overdone series of films featuring the same basic story and characters.......just like sequel after sequel in other films:

Anyone own all (any) of the Police Academies on DVD? Anyone think we need another BTTF? Robocop 3 was village! Here comes T3, etc,etc,etc.
Lucas is only continuing to make more so he can complete the series, fill in the holes (some anyway:rolleyes: ) and complete the show 'cos we are all baying for it. If Star Wars had been crap, we wouldn't (hopefully) have seen Empire. Fortunately George made a hit first time out and is cashing in ever since?

On another tack, what do you think Star Wars would have looked like if Lucas had made them in the correct order? Would we still be so impressed if the storm troopers were CGI in 2000? Star Wars is a pretty tame film these days anyway.

(Flame suit on)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom