1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SW Bug?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by DanielB, Dec 26, 2004.

1. DanielB

DanielB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all, but this may be a question for Steve...

If i run my system(DVD32R/AV32RDP all latest Software) as 5.0 everything works fine. But if i add a subwoofer, a few minutes after playing DTS or 96/24 from DVD-A's the sound corrupts.

Any Idea?

Regards Daniel

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Daniel.
    I think this has been mentioned on another thread, the AV needs to have the latest mods on the board to make DTS 24/96 stable apparently, I'd have a word with the helpdesk with your serial number to hand...
    BTW, DVD-A and the DVD32R??

3. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Of course Graham......, didn't you upgrade yours to DVD-A :confused: :confused: :D

Just kiddin', but take a look here: http://www.dtsentertainment.com/ and you'll get the idea. ;)

4. DanielB

DanielB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Graham

why not DVD-A? There are several DVD-A's with DD5.1, DTS or DTS 96/24 Tracks on it for example: Queen, Blue Man Group, REM, ELP etc. - all these are playing very well on a DVD32R(latest Drive unit). The problem with the corrupted sound appears only if the system is working with a subwoofer, without subwoofer configured it plays without any problem.

Regards
    Daniel

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya Daniel.

Of course one can play the standard tracks but that is no better than the DVD-V disk and you get pictures on that ;) Those five blanked off holes in the back of the DVD32R wre for the analogue DVD-A output that never made it......

I have no idea why the sub would make any difference except maybe the additional channel processing takes it over the edge.... Like I said a word to the helpdesk should clear up if your unit needs a mod or not...

6. DanielB

DanielB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Graham

i don't believe(hope) it's hardware, why would it work without subwoofer - and the DP-Board was already replaced one time. Otherwise i'm not willing to send the AV32R to IAG for an unpredictable result, because if it is the software - who can write the code??? Also are there to less "success storys" of the new owner of TMA. I have no "time" to wait 4 months until the unit is back in Switzerland.
    Therefore i hope Steve is reading this thread too.

7. DanielB

DanielB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Graham

i wrote to the helpdesk, i'm exitedly what there answer is.

Yesterday I did also an master-reset - with no effect. But what I found out is that the problem only on DTS and DTS 96/24 tracks, played from DVD-A's, occurs.

If i play DTS or DTS96/24 tracks (like Peter Gabriel, Play) from DVD-V's it's working fine. I hope this is an other argument for an software fault?!

Btw. i think these DTS96/24 tracks are sounding realy astonishing - at least for me good enough.

Regards
    Daniel

8. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Wotdya mean less "success storys", Daniel. I challenge anyone to name one real success story attributable to IAG in relation to their take-over if TAG McLaren Audio save the remarkable squandering of goodwill and technological lead over competitors that they bought.

Anyone?

(Mind you, it took Omega in Switzerland more than 6 months to service one of their watches I watch sent to them in 2002. Upon investigation, I find that they too are notoriously poor at meeting the levels of service expected these days. So, no top-of-the-range company has a monopoly on crap service).

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    All I can say mate is that having dug out the DTS test sampler disk both my 192R and my mate's DP play DTS 96/24 without issue (V4.31). I also like DTS stuff and have always preferred it over anything Dolby do...... Can you actually get a DVD-V disk with a 96/24 sound track? I thought they had to be 48kHz? Of course you can have a 96/24 sound track but you can't call that bit DVD-V can you?

10. DanielB

DanielB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Graham

No i can't.
    But, both DVD-V + A do displaying the same - on the DVD32R 48.0KHz and on the AV32R it's 96.0kHZ + DTS96/24.

DVD-V has no problem at all with DTS or DTS96/24 with or without subwoofer.
    DVD-A has no problem at all with DTS or DTS96/24 without subwoofer.
    DVD-A sound corrupts after a few minutes playing DTS or DTS96/24 with subwoofer configured :confused: .

Anyway, I wish you all a Happy New Year!

Regards
    Daniel

11. DanielB

DanielB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Edward

the fact you describe is poor enough - but it doesn't make it better. IAG should not use this as an apology to made it as bad as others do. They should take it as a challenge to make it better.

I don't no what Omega does(i own a TAG Watch ;) ), but even your watch is in service, near on every place you can find out what time it is. If your AV32R is in service - do you have a backup unit?
    TMA has it several times proven that it's possible to serve the customer in an excellent way! Btw, the E-Mal i sent to IAG on Wednesday, i did not "hear" anything from IAG until now.

Regards and a Happy New Year!
    Daniel

12. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

_________

Noone takes real care of customer service anymore.

I had very good experience with Zenith's service and that's it. Most of our mates here on the forum used to have great support (if problems) from TAG but as it seems IAG level is far under what we were used to (you may call it we were spoiled).

My TAG gear runs terrific but I must admit I am not feeling 100% confident as it was before, jsut in case...

OK, off to party :beer: :beer: :beer:

13. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes, you're right, Plump. I have to say IAG do not seem to have the company ethos that inspires the confidence needed to get me to spend £6K+ on a home cinema product but I'd love to be proved wrong. With even HDMI looking uncertain, the prospect of a processor upgrade capable of handling new formats like Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD are not good. I wonder if there is enough of a market to entice Steve and John to operate their own small side business when the need arises. How much would we be prepared to pay to keep these systems going?

Service attitudes are not universally poor these days, Daniel. When I had an Omega watch serviced in New Zealand, the man lent me another watch for a few weeks at no cost. It was only a used Rolex Oyster but it did the job nicely.

14. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,

I just want to say IAG can also have a great service! They repaired my DVD32R, and even updated the door mech to the latest greatest within 4-5 weeks, including shipping.
    I believe a lot of the negative stories are caused by other factors, not directly by IAG. As soon as IAG have a unit in their hands, they know how the handle it since people like Barry and Phil have been doing the same at TMA.

Just my 2 pence.....

Have a great one tonight! :clap:

15. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Same here Theo (top loader repair done with Barry) , also one small spare part inquiry with Phil went smooth, but other guys obviously had some serious problems recenty.

whatever...

Happy New Year, wish you all the best!

Miron

16. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I agree, Teejoo. From the few exchanges I've had with him, Phil certainly seems to know what he's doing but I wonder if he is given adequate time to do the job properly. IAG might have been unfairly blamed for the inaction of a bumbling supplier too. This doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of symptoms here of a company that does not have an ethos that inspires confidence. I've mentioned this before but it remains true that they have known for more than a month that the helpdesk telephone number on their web page is wrong but can't be bothered to fix it. Telephone calls still don't get returned, where there is a voicemail message stating that they will.

So many of us have been waiting impatiently for a great announcement from this erswhile mute organisation. I just hope our prayers are answered and that 2005 brings cause for cheer on this front.

17. jbm007

jbm007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil is the only one who knows what is going on. Sorry but the 4 month repair fiasco I had with my tuner can be laid squarely at IAG's door step. They where totally inept thru-out the process. No repair manuals in USA. My units sat in their repair facility in Europe for 2 months with no one being able to give me an idea as to what was being done. No reports,phone calls; no emails unless sent by me. I can post all email correspondence I had with them as proof. Worst repair senario I ever have had.

18. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, I know things go wrong, but I just wanted to bring back the balance a bit because most of the time you only hear of the bad stories, and the people who have good experiences are probably enjoying their toys and don't write about it ;)

So back to the original DTS issue............

19. DanielB

DanielB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Teejoo

i agree with you. It should be possible that by someone the problem can become reproduced.
    It's easy with this DVD-A: REM – The Best of R.E.M. in Time 1988-2003 :lease:

Regards
    Daniel

20. Polecatpete

Polecatpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In IAG's defence, they have lent me an AV32 while my DP is currently in for repair.... Ok, the DP was originally sent out to me broken! but their aren't many manufacturers who would send out a loan unit...

21. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Without wishing to sound ungrateful, Pete, given the appalling delays in turning around repairs, the loan unit should have become standard practice for them.

Its when I read stories like this that I cherish a hope that they'll start meeting even our basic expectations some time soon.

22. jayla

jayla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daniel,

after reading about your problem, i tried to find out if the same problems would occur on my equipment (AV: AV32dp (V. 4.09 because I don't need DDIIx), AMP: 5 x 100; DVD: Denon DVD A11,LS: B&W 804 + surround equipment).
    I have only got one DVD-A with 96/24 (Queen) and several DVD-A with DTS (f.e. YES, Fragile). None of these shows the problems that you describe.
    Couldn't it be also a problem with your dvd player?
    I've got a simalar problem with the dvd-A track on my A11 with Beethovens 5th & 6th symphony, DG, Claudio Abaddo. After getting a Software Update on the A11 the problem was fixed and everything works fine.
    So I'm not that sure if the problem really is an AV32dp problem.
    Could you give more information about how the problem is like?
    Outages in the track or just noise? or,or or????

Best regards
    Joachim (sorry for my bad english, but I'm from Germany)

23. DanielB

DanielB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Joachim

i fight with the same "problem" -english - i'm Swiss :hiya:
    No, it's not the DVD32R, the same behavior is with my Denon DVD2200 too. What i found out is , that the fault doesn't, with every DVD-A, having the same amount of strenght. Did you your test within an 5.1 or 5.0 setup?

Regards
    Daniel

24. jayla

jayla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daniel,
    I tried both and tested following DVD-A:
    Queen (as already mentioned)
    Yes, Fragile
    Steely Dan: everything must go
    Seal: Nr. 4
    Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells 2003
    Vivaldi: 4 seasons (but has only 5.0)
    None of these disk shows the problems you describe.
    Maybe you can give me one example for testing it by myself
    (I,ve got some more friends dealing with dvd-a and sacd and maybe one of those has one of your material)

Best regards

25. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Believe me he knows what he's saying here. Here in Austria they subtitle them :D (and in Germany they subtitle both :D :D )
    I have many languages to fight with anyway :confused: , that's why I gave up long time ago :)

Back to the thread,
    Daniel, I am somewhat confused with this one. Do you mean bypass collapses after some time, or processing collapses when fed over SPDIF with DTS96/24.

I guess it is latter. In that case it seems very strange. One stupid idea for testing: Have you tried to switch T2L off? It seems DP looses something of incoming data or can not lock correctly. It can also be that one of the converters drops off but that's unlikely, why only in 5.0? Does it collaps on all channels or only on some of them?
    It sounds more like some failure than like SW bug to me.

I guess Steve is the only one who might give you better answer here anyway, so let's wait for him.

26. DanielB

DanielB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Miron

:D you're fighting with subtitles :smashin:

My AV32R has no bypass - it's from DVD32R or Denon DVD2200 pure digital to the AV32R. I had the same idea, with T2L, i switched it off, but with no success. You misunderstand someting - not only in 5.0 - i explain it:

Problems happens only with DVD-A's, with DVD-V's it's perfect.
    Problem happens with DTS and DTS96/24 decoding.

First i thought the failure happens only in on 5.1 system but it also happens in an 5.0 system, but less often.

The "Blue Man Group" Complex DVD-A with DTS96/24 works perfect if the AV32R is setup as 5.0 system. If it's setup as 5.1 the failure happens.

The REM DVD-A produced the failure on both ways.

To reproduce the error, simply put the DVD in and press play - and wait.
    Blue Man Group DVD-A - Track 3
    REM DVD-A - Track 2

If the failure happens you can toggle surround modes or inputs - then it works again for a few minutes.

Regards
    Daniel

27. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I see. Really strange.

In short lines, Steve, Hilfeeeeeeeeeeeeee

28. DanielB

DanielB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all

i tested it now with most of my DVD-A's i own and it looks like that i first used these 2 DVD's with an, i suppose, authoring problem on it :suicide: . All others are playing as expected. What i don't understand is this thing on the Blue Man Group DVD-A which works in an 5.0 setup and not if the system is setup as 5.1.

Anyway - thanks for your help :thumbsup: i will replace these faulty DVD now and test it again with the replacement.

Regards
    Daniel

29. jayla

jayla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daniel,

I also testet now all of my DVD-A and I've got the same problem as you with my R.E.M (Best off) but only with track 2 and once I switch between DTS and DD and back to DTS it works fine. So it is really strange. Next week I gona have a test with another AV Processor. Hopefully that one will have the same problems!

Best regards
    Joachim

:suicide:

30. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Has anyone checked that their units are to the latest mod level for DTS 96/24???? Helpdesk should have the answers...... I'd start with that before pulling your hair out... :lesson: