SVS vs Velo - Is it that good

My 20-39 Pc Plus is currently lurking at Birmingham Airport as of this morning.:D

My 20-39 Pc Plus is currently lurking at Birmingham Airport as of this morning.

looks like your sub still has a bit of travelling to do yet!

Originally posted by Kevin Harris

My 20-39 Pc Plus is currently lurking at Birmingham Airport as of this morning.

looks like your sub still has a bit of travelling to do yet!

Yep. A mate is bringing it over for me. :)

When you finally get the sub I am sure you will be more than happy.

I am still putting my living room back together after a complete DIY overhaul. I have just moved all my HC equipment back into the room and quicky tested the 20-29 pci+ with a blast from Titan AE ice scene.

AWESOME stuff.

Hi all
Baxglobal have just rang to say my sub will be delivered tomorrow. :D .This is what i paid for my sub -527 pounds for the sub, 134 pounds for shipping,151 pounds import tax and vat total 812 pounds .Ps for some reason the pound icon not work on this crappy computer.
Cheers Gonzo.

It seems that there can be a $100 difference depending on which airport it comes into. East Midlands seems to be on the higher scale whilst West Midlands is lower

Just how many CHT15 owners are now buying into SVS?

Curious. I'd like to know why and what real difference they found.

I know Phil's reason for changing, he likes to set fashions, not follow them.:):):);)

I know that a 320 round trip is a bit far but if you ever find yourself in the West Midlands you are more than welcome to come round and hear for yourself what the fuss is about.

So far as I am aware there are only the two CHT-15 owners moving on up in the world ;)

Originally posted by Ian J
I went to see a friend in his hifi shop at the weekend and he had the new M&K 850 series on demo in the AV room. Having been prewarned, he produced the Foo Fighters DVD but the £1,000 M&K 850 subwoofer failed the Foo test dismally.

Second up was my new tester CD, Lady Marmalade (thanks GaryG) and not only did the M&K fail this one miserably but the Tag electronics also gave up the ghost too.

I cant wait to see what deal AVForums is going to come up with.

I was originally going for the M&K850 sub but now am heading more and more towards the SVS. Gonzo you dont want the ASW675 back - maybe you can put it underneath the bed or something ;)

Ian was the M&K sub no good at all ie was there a massive difference ? Also what do you mean by the Tag Electronics gave up the ghost ?

Originally posted by rags
Ian was the M&K sub no good at all ie was there a massive difference ? Also what do you mean by the Tag Electronics gave up the ghost ?

I wouldn't say that it was no good but if you want a subwoofer that plumbs the depths and can play the notes cleanly there are much better subs for £1,000 than that one. There is a huge difference in performance between that one and my SVS though with the clear winner being the cheaper SVS.

Have a read of Liam McCauley's review and what he said about the Foo Fighters song sounding just like being at a live rock concert. On the M&K the bass line was just about there if you listened for it carefully.

The Lady Marmalade CD also has a fairly deep driving bass line which didn't sound like £1,000 of subwoofery but by that time the TAG was overheating as it had been playing at close to reference level for 10 minutes or so and needed to shut down for a rest so we switched to two channel via something else a bit more reliable.

There seem to be an ever increasing number of SVS owners so try and cadge a listen off someone so that you can fix a reference in your mind so that you can see for yourself how others measure up

Hi Rags
When you sell the asw675 you will get your money back ,as it is a very good sub for its size alot better than the rel q200e.
The subject about being allowed to put stuff in your tv room i approached the missus with this,weve got a large dining kitchen with conservatory that we use all day, weve got a dining room that we can dine in when friends come round and weve got a lounge that we only use at night to watch movies or tv so youve answered your own question its the room that is mostly used for movie enjoyment the lounge(tv room) the kids also love home cinema and allthough the wife doesent admit it she enjoys it too,(home cinema that is) the svs subs are also more room friendly than the huge black boxes that once were your only choice of superwoofer.
Cheers Gonzo.;)

I'd love to be nosey and 'see' pictures of the SVS subs in people's houses. I saw the one on page two.

Any more? For once it's my wife who's interested. Me, I'll buy anything if you tell me it's good.:)

Cheers Gonzo. I was joking about the ASW675 bur your right I should not have a problem disposing of it if I decide to change ;)

My TV room is rectangular in shape and the only place an SVS can go is close to the left corner (about two-three ft away from the door to the conservatory). Is the SVS diffcult to position and how prone is it two boom when placed close to wall / corner ? Also I have wooden floor - but with a huge rug in the room - I know the SVS is downward firing so will the wooden floor cause problems ?

rags;

They all have a base-plate at the bottom which afaik means it shouldn't matter as to what sort of surface the SVS is placed on.

Currently I'm in a similar position to you that is until i move house my SVS is stuck a foot away from my sofa as i have physically nowhere else to put it :/ It's quite a weird experience as i've been in other places in and out of my room and you really can't feel the sub at all yet it's *definitely* there when sitting on the sofa. Seems to be quite a handy place to have it currently so i dont get neighbours moaning too much :)

I do think that I'm losing quite a lot of it's potential performance atm however due to the fact that from what I've read they prefer to be placed in a corner.

have had some booming problems - however so far it's only been with the club scenes in Blade 2. Plus with my room only being 3x3m i've got the sub volume set to about 2/5 of the way up and running at -10db on my receiver, anything more and it starts booming - again i think this is down to it's current position.

A little warning to everyone...
Don't underestimate the power of an SVS sub.

A lot of people bought the PC+....and they are reselling them because it was just to much. the room couldn't handle them.

If Tom V says that the PCi is more than enough...take him seriously. The PCi already has 325 Watts. A lot like me, listened to his advice. said Thank you and still ordered one model up.

I have bought the 25-31PC+...and during a demo of the movie U571...a couple of people had to leave the room. It was just to much. I had to restrain from turning down the volume.

Frankly I don't even dare to turn the subwoofer up fully.

Hi Tan
Thats a point but like you said there is a volume control you dont have to listen at referance level its good that youve got plenty of headroom which means good quality sound.All the subwoofers ive had none were turned up more than 3 notches to give good amounts of bass and i dont consider my room to be small at 16'x14'.
Gonzo.

Originally posted by tan1415
I have bought the 25-31PC+...and during a demo of the movie U571...a couple of people had to leave the room. It was just to much. I had to restrain from turning down the volume.

Sounds like you need to calibrate it then. No subwoofer should make you "leave the room". Thats just hype frankly.

I'd have to agree with Smurfin on that one, A well set up subwoofer should just underpin the main speakers not overpower them or the room.

Nomally if the sub is producing less distortion it will be easier to listen to and the perseption well be that the volume is lower.

Originally posted by General Skanky

I know Phil's reason for changing, he likes to set fashions, not follow them.:):):);)

Ok:kisses: :kisses:

I just had to see what all the fuss is about.:smoke:

Originally posted by Jeff
Nomally if the sub is producing less distortion it will be easier to listen to and the perseption well be that the volume is lower.

That sounds almost like a vote toward the servo camp! :D

Ad

heh Buns:D

SVS are low distortion for the type of subs they are though, aren't they?

I must admit, as a deep bass freak, I've been playing the JPIII dts T-Rex vs Hugemommasaurus section to several people recently. At reference levels the whole damn room is shaking, but the last thing it makes me want to do is leave the room:D

Bass that makes you want to leave the room is a sign of a cheap sub or an incorrectly setup one. As the SVS is certainly NOT a cheap sub, I'm guessing it's not setup properly.

Though I must admit, when I got my Servo-15 it took me a while....it was waaaay to loud to begin with:rolleyes:

The room shakeing is a form of distortion, for the best sound quality you would want to minimise shakeing as much as possible. It might be less impressive though.

Well ive heard that the svs is relatively low distortion, but it certainly wouldnt be if a servo system is your comparator!

I do feel that there is the chance that the distortion is pulling wool over eyes..... i dont just mean svs. When i got my sub i know it was done on me, it took some time before i got sensible and throtled back to a proper level. It is at that point you are in a position to comment on the wow factor.

That said, if my amp arrives and i have no servo in my room...... distortion levels or not, im buying an svs!

Ad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom