1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS vs Velo - Is it that good

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by petrolhead, Aug 4, 2003.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Seems to me that everyone is getting on the SVS band wagon.

Is this a case of flavour of the month?

Velo a few months ago were the dogs ******.

So is this a case of the latest thing or is it that much better and/or cheaper than a velo

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,976
    I dont think it is a case of the SVS being that much better, it is just a different approach. I dont believe there will be that big a difference between the 20-39 and the CHT-15, but I am interested in trying one out and seeing if this hype is right.

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Is an athetic thing then?

Is this just hype and people following the heard. (This is NOT meant to be a dig but more thought provoking)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Your question is impossible to answer as you are relating an SVS to "a velo" and the Velodyne range is huge encompassing the budget VX10 at £200 to the top of the range HGS-18.

In my opinion the SVS range offers far more value for money as it is sold directly to the public whilst Velodyne has to make a profit for Velodyne, Red Line and the UK retailer.

My own SVS 20-39 PC Plus cost me £750 and whilst it is superior to anything in the Velodyne CHT range it would come off marginally second best to an HGS-15 or HGS-18, both of which costs significantly more.

There is only one way for you to find out and that is either to spend a day in the Midlands as my guest and listen to mine or else to wait a while as I have a feeling that there will be a couple of SVS subs winging their way to the North East very soon.

5. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know the Velodyne. But I nearly bought them.
    Instead of buying the CHT10 from UE i chose the 25-31PC+..paid nearly twice as much for it.

I know that people ith the B&W 650 replaced it with a 25PC+, another replaced a CDM subwoofer with the 20-39PC+, I know the SVS is better than the Storm III.

But the thing is with the abovementioned subwoofers the SVS had a bigger woofer and a much more powerfull amp.
    The CHT15 has a bigger woofer.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Anytime you want a demo, you are more than welcome to come down.

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If what you say Ian is right then £750 is outstanding value compared to a HGS.

Did you listen to a vel HS15 before going the SVS route? How would you describe the difference, if thats possible?

Again I am not trying to fly any flags just very interested in the cahnge of opinion over the last few months.

8. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian.. are you sure about it? I'd love if my SVS could claim such an distinction.

Anyway I read in a review that a 2 Ultras with a 1000W samson amp came close too the HGS18. But the Velo still came out on top in the comparison test.(You can find this test in the SVSwebsite and at ecoustics.com)
    But the CHT series is no HGS.

But I agree with the other claims by Ian.
    1)Directsale has a lot of benefits for the customers in price. Just consider that there's no importer or shop between the factory and the customers.
    You can count the price difference there.
    2)Just check the specs of the SVS subwoofers. The cheapest line the PCi subwoofers is still a 12inch woofer with a 325watts amp build in. I doubt there's any subwoofer in it's pricerange that can deliver the same specs. And we are not talking Yamaha Watts here.

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,976
    Ian,
    As it looks like nobody wants a bargain and buy my velo in the classifieds I will have a SVS and velo CHT 15 in the same room soon, I will then sell the loser and then post my verdict in the forum.

10. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Well for me buying the PCi SVS was cheaper than the Velo and unlike the Servo 15 it was in stock. It'll be interesting to see how it goes here now the Velo Power buys have moved.

As for hype, it's only hype if the product is no good also there is one SVS owner who isn't completely happy yet.

11. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THX...can't wait for your review...H2H. CHt15 vs the SVS(which model?)
    I'll ask my friends if they want to post their reviews/comparison tests.

12. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    THX we may even get to meet finally if I get an invite to hear both. Would be very interested.

Smurfin you have a point

13. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Bet you won't get a very good price for it though ;).

14. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a little harsh, I believe SVS subs do actually command quite decent re-sale values, especially in closed circles.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have listened to an HGS-18 and found it's performance remarkably similar to mine in the real world. No doubt if one were sat in their home cinema holding a bunch of meters one could see that the Velo went down a couple of Hz lower and you may be able to measure a percentage point or two less distortion but I am talking about just sitting there listening to films or music in a normal domestic environment.

I could tell very little difference as they are both superb performers. Smurfin is correct that there have been one or two people actively promoting the SVS and I have in been in the forefront there but I have no financial interest in selling any make of sub and have stated on more than one ocassion that I have not heard a Servo 15 so can't compare them.

I have extended an invitation to more than one HGS or Servo owner to come round for a listen and let's see what their unbiased comments are.

There does now seem to be more movement between the major subs regarding ownership and Matt F who has just sold his HGS-15 and is buying a Servo 15 to replace it with can soon add his own comparison to the pot

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    LOL:D I have the distinct feeling when the 2 are demo'd side by side, the CHT will be going.

*has a terrible thought*

OMG - Am I an SVS fanboy!!!???

;)

17. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    I think I may be the only poster on this forum that has actually heard both a SVS and CHT15 (and also a REL Storm in the same rooms). I really need to hear Phil's CHT15 again to be doubly sure, but I think he'll probably be selling that on.

It's a shame that there now seems to be a backlash against the enthusiasm for SVS. It reminds me of when the Velodynes became popular.

Don't you remember how excited you were when you first compared your new velo against the REL Q150 Julian? Can you blame the new SVS owners for getting so excited?

Cheers,
    Liam

18. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Where's the backlash? It's not a shame even if there IS a backlash. Fact is SVS now has a following on this board, the same as Velodyne and Servo 15. Who cares if people are bitching and sniping, if they are they're either:

1. Joking (like me;))
    2. Have a crap sub.
    3. Have one of the "other" big brands.

I found out a while back that theres no point getting wound up/disheartened by the "my subs better than yours" argument.

Fact is, I KNOW my sub pisses all over yours, and thats enough for me:D

(ok that last statement was an exagerration, but you know what I mean, I'm happy with where I am in the subwoofer owning stakes;))

19. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,976
    At the end of the day everyone loves what they own, otherwise they wouldn't own it. Many are swayed by marketing, others by word of mouth and some by reading reviews. Even those who sing the praises of a particular brand for ages, can suddenly change their tune when they hear what they think is the next big thing. A certain person I know swore blind that it should be sat/ sub combination from two certain manufacters and you must have a cut off at 80hz, he argued the point quite vermantly, until he heard another manufacterers system costing half the price and now it is the next best thing. Does that make him wrong or right?

Thing is unless you have heard every peice of kit on the planet in your room, you just don't know, but the great thing about this board is that there will always be word of mouth, and I like that fact, it brings my attention to something else to try.

YOU WILL NEVER OWN THE BEST SYSTEM IN THE WORLD! But we can all have fun trying.

And finally Ian J, I would love to take you up on your invitation, but alas I am just far to busy to visit any time soon, but thanks for the offer.

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and if he does i want call on the servo! :D

Having not heard either sub, im a bit reluctant to make my following analogy....... but from what i read im left with the impression that this comparison is a bit like comparing linn to naim...... to one person, naim is audio nirvana, to another, its harsh drivel!

Ad

21. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Are there any SVS PC-Plus owners who live near SE London that are prepared to bring their sub over so that we can do an A/B comparison against my HGS-18? I could even jot down the frequency-response of each sub to see if there really is a difference in output and accuracy between the two? Hopefully I'll try and make it fun as possible. :)

PS. The reason why I ask that somebody bring their SVS sub over is because it is most likely lighter and easier to move around than my sub, which weighs a ton.:eek:

Have a think about it. It could turn out to be the first ever bout between the SVS PC-Plus vs the Velodyne HGS-18 performed in the UK (the same time in the same room!).;)

I have heard possitive responses from very experienced and reliable forum members who have heard SVS subs and say that they are good performers. I for one would very much like to see this happen so that I can decide for myself how good they really are vs the HGS-18.

22. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm am sure, that when compared to the Rel Q150, any SVS sub would be considered a World beater and that the owners would get the same buzz that I did when I woke up to the Velodyne brilliance.

23. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder what US sub fans will be saying once a few people over here import the James EMB-1000 and EMB-1500 subwoofers...

24. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's a fair old run from your place to mine althought it shouldn't take too long in your car. Anytime that you feel the desire to take the next step up the ladder you are more than welcome at Chez J for a demo.

25. poda

poda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just wondering if any of you have tried pro kit in your setups.

The reason for asking is that a pair of JBL 4645's can be had with good amplification for circa £2.5K retail, and if they are good enough for your local multiplex, and THX certified, would they not be a good shout?

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Poda - they are well out of my price range. I paid £750 for mine and although SVS also do passive subs I am a plug n play chap and didn't want all the hassle.

27. poda

poda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair play Ian, I was just looking at the cost in relation to units like the HGS18.

The £2.5K is for a pair mind you, two 18" JBL bass units with a kilowatt of power may be overkill for most (certainly for me, I've gone 15"). I guess a single 4645 would come out at say £1300 (inc amp), that seems to represent fab value, when you think you can add a behringer to about £300 and end up with a killer package, all sourced in the UK!

28. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If someone joins me on an order in the next week or two, I'll be game for that. Depending on how it all pans out, I'll even get it dropped off at your place on the way home - that way you can show me how to set it up correctly and that I know whether it is working correctly :smashin:

Where in SE London are you based? I have recently moved a little further out to Barnehurst/ Bexleyheath but still not far from the 'smoke'.

Let me know

regards

simon

29. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Where abouts are you then......????

Maybe i could bring my one round and then i could see if it is me, that is at fault or the Sub.

30. tan1415

tan1415

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand this comparison between the HGS and the PC+.
    It's like comparing middleweights to heavyweights. Even though Ihave the PC+ I think HGs is gonna be the winner.

I think like boxing...you must compare subs in the same weightclass or in teh case of subs...pricerange.
    The SVS PCi starts at is from 500GBP while the PC+ fom 600GBP
    Which subs are in these pricerange? Certainly not HGS.
    But i think the main competition for teh SVS comes from the B&W675, REL STorm III,REL Q200 and the Velo CHT 15? did I miss a subwoofer?

Still It won't surprise me if the SVS turned into Roy Jones Jr.
    So all I can say is...LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE