SVS vs REL?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by stevegreen, Jun 14, 2004.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    I am now starting to think seriously about selling my Rel Q200e and replacing it with a 25-31 PC+ SVS subwoofer.

I have heard two in action now, both the next model up (20-39) and have been very impressed by both of them in different room situations.

My room is slightly different to the both that I heard them in, in that, mine has a wooden floor with uncovered walls (plastered) and few furnishings. Theirs had carpet, plenty of furnishing etc etc. I know that my situation is not ideal for the subwoofer in terms of absorbtion but I still want to improve what I have at the moment.

Here is a measurement graph of my current subs performance which may be of help when offering suggestions.

So, the crux of the post.

Would I feel/hear a substantial difference to what I have at the moment, assuming that I will be planning to upgrade the amp as well in the not too distant future, if i upgraded the sub to this model SVS (the lowest in the PC+ range)?

Would the PCi model be sufficient for my needs, my Rel has a 200 watt amp, the PCi a 325 and the PC+ a 525, again, would there be a noticable difference in my environment?

Lastly, as I'm a bit of a lazy git and struggle to count normally, can someone who has gone through the process work out approximately how much each model would actually end up costing, door to door, all taxes paid etc?

Thanks for the comments.

2. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Would it not be possible to borrow one of the svs subs you have listened to?

I am considering buying the 20-39 pci or pc+ but having a suspended wooden floor and no rugs etc i would be interested how you get on with it.

Adrenochrome.

3. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Steve,

What kit did you use to measure your sub's response, as I am interested in doing it myself.

Cheers

Gwc

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    GWC.

I borrowed a CD with the test tones on and an SPL meter, the results were then plotted onto the Excel graph which is available Here The i fiddled around with amp settings etc to get the best response. I am sure I could have improved it more but didn't want to re-arrange the room too much ;)

5. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank's Steve

Cheers
    Gwc

6. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Tempting isn't it!

You buy yours first then and have it shipped to my house, i'll test it for you etc etc and then send on to you.....what do you think?

Seriously though, I could ask Mr J nicely but as he has now replaced his Chieftan Tank with a more sprightly Sports Saloon I doubt he would be able to transport it, which means a bit of a two way journey for me :( The other option is Wakefield which is even further away.

7. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I Don't think anyone in central Scotland has one that i could borrow either :mad:

I am a little concerned about have a suspended timber floor with one of these subs and would dearly love to test before buying. :lease:

Adrenochrome.

8. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Anyone got any views on the original post? :(

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you have heard two different SVS subs in two different rooms you have probably heard more than most of the forum members that you are asking advice from and as you have also heard a REL Q200 insitu you are the one best placed to answer your question.

Will an SVS work as well in your room as it does in Bob's or mine - unfortunately no-one can answer that question but so far there has only been one person very unhappy with the combination of SVS and room.

Judging from the response to similar questions asked of Tom V, I would guess that a PCi would be more than adequate for your room as you don't play at reference level anyway.

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +671
    What's the problem with suspended wooden floors? :confused:
    Apart from a sinking feeling when you get a nice big dose of 30Hz or below? :cool:
    It's true! We've felt this effect loads of times. :laugh:
    We can't live without regular fixes of SVS bass any more. :blush:

Seriously though: The SVS "pipes" have three, small, thick rubber feet.
    You will still get sound transmitted through the floor's structure.
    Even when the cylinder sits on a carpet and thick underfelt like mine.
    So conductance isn't the problem.

I believe it is the low frequency sound waves themselves exciting the floor like an instrument soundboard. This would be true of any sub, regardless of make or design. Our's is on the first (suspended) floor over the lounge and kitchen. We regularly see 105-110dB from our PCi in our 30 foot room which is open plan with the lounge below. You'd need to be very brave or wear ear defenders to go louder! We cower like frightened sheep sometimes on a good action DVD! :eek:

Base your choice on peformance. Not fear of potential problems. The SV Subs offers low distortion and effortless bass for the money IMHO. And in the opinions of thousands of AV (and music enthusiasts) worldwide. ALL of whom had to buy by mail order. SVS offers service second to none.

If you don't like it or it doesn't work in your room? Then you could probably sell it very quickly for close to the full price if you just let someone collect it. AND give them a quick demo to prove just how awful it sounds in your room. :rotfl:

Bare with me ;) : Bare rooms effect the mid & higher frequencies. The sub won't know it's in a bare room! We used to like the spartan 'minimalist' look too. It worked a treat with two large box subs sitting on simple rubber doorstop feet in a large, bare-boarded upstairs room with just one wooden chair for comfort.
    We just hated people walking about upstairs on bare wooden floorboards. And we were detached! :oops:

Nimby

11. Skyline

Skyline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contact SVS, give them your floor measurements and they will tell you how their subs would work on your room. Their customer service is very fast (at least when you are in US timezone) so you won't have to wait for days to get an answer.

12. ridd

ridd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My room has as suspended wooden floor (radon reasons i believe) when i had carpet it was never a promblem. I managed to intergate it very well with my setup. I have recently changed the carpet to a floating maple wood floor. Once i get it all finished and the system recalobrated you are more than welcome to visit for a demo. Early testing seemed okay. The sound is certainly "livelier" now. Something i like.
    I live in northamptonshire.

13. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    The SVS is much, much, much better than the REL 200E and I know cos I went from the 200E to a 20-39 Pci. They don't seem to be the model of choice but the Pci's will do all you need and the 25-31 would be the one I'd go for if doing it again. I honestly can't hear the extra few Hz of extension and the 25-31 is smaller and should be easier to handle.

14. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Well, having agreed a sale on my Rel it looks highly likely that I will be joining the SVS club in the very near future. I am currently swaying towards the PCi range, though I would love to be able to stretch to the 25-31 PC+, for the tunability more than anything else. Would people say its worth the extra or is 20hz low enough :D ?

15. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I'm gonna get flamed but I've always thought the 'tunability' was a bit gimmicky. If I wanted 16hz then I'd buy the 16hz model not buy the 25hz and block a few ports, the plus and Ultra are really for bigger rooms and/or playing louder. YMMV

BTW I've ordered a Crowson Tactile Effects System that goes to 1hz... is that low enough? :cool: