SVS vs. KEF vs. BK

Rick1486

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi - still undecided about which sub to go for but I do know that I won't be keeping the M&K V125 on demo loan to me as I'm not feeling those ornaments move lol!

SWMBO is trying to reel me in on price as she knows I'm leaning towards the SVS (either PB-12isd or the PC20-39plus) and so I at least have to attempt to come up with some other alternatives for room shaking bass!

Has anyone got any knowledge of the KEF2500 or KEF psw3000/ the new 3500?
How does the BK xls200 stack up against these models? Is there something else I should be looking at?
Also what about B&W any thoughts on these?
Budget wise I think she'll be happier in the 300's somewhere but I may be able to push her on this.
Please bear in mind that the sub will be used for both movies and music.

Another thing I'd appreciate feedback on is the build quality of these subs - quality of materials, joints, finish etc. and any other points you might feel are relevant.

Please be gentle - I'm a subwoofer newbie.

Thanks for your help

Rick

p.s. see my ad. in the classifieds section - it's in a good cause, i.e. the purchase of a new sub and increased funds :thumbsup:

Either of the SVS subs should be great. Your listening room has a lot to do with how your any sub will sound i.e. my room is only around 3.5m x 4m, and the little BK does the job for me. It is a great little sub for the size. Build quality on the XLS200 is second to none in my opinion.

If your room is much bigger though, the SVS subs should far be better.

Another one to look at is the Velodyne CHT-10R or 12R. You can pick up the 10R for £350, and although I havent heard them, they are meant to be excellent.

Cant comment on the KEFs but I reckon the PSW3000 would be excellent looking at the specs. It's quite a powerful beast. Superfi do this one for just £350, which is a hell of a lot cheap than it's RRP.

Thanks mate - the room is 15ft. x 13ft. x 7'6" high and is non open plan if that makes any difference to recommendations.
The main thing I want to avoid is mismatching my sub to my other speakers as I know that the Mission 782se fronts/78cse centre and the 78ds surrounds are very very good speakers and I want that level of quality in the subwoofer as well as the ability to make the floor shake in action scenes and deep deep bass in music (if it's on the soundtrack of course!).
A wood finish would be nice aesthetically but isn't essential, but overall build quality is a must have as far as I'm concerned.
It would be nice to buy British, but again I would prefer the best sub for my money regardless of its' origins.
Hope this sheds some more light on my dilemna.

Look forward to more replies.
Cheers
Rick

Hi Rick
The svs 20-39 pc+ will rock your walls,I watched the grudge last night at -10 db and the part where the hanged mans legs bang on the wall my whole room shook dislodging a few pictures hanging in my hallway.My room is 16'x14' so should be fine in your room,The svs is also very good with music no boom at all just smooth tight bass.
Cheers Gonzo.

yes, it sounds like you want out and out power :D

I would recommend an SVS. No sure of the different models, but apparently if you contact SVS, and give them your room dimensions,your preference to sound, your system details etc, they will come up with the most ideal sub for you :smashin:

I don't think they do wooden finishes though.

GFS AV said:
I don't think they do wooden finishes though.
Only on the box subs not the tubes..

Thanks for that.
So with regards to the others mentioned, do you not think that they will be up to the job I'm after?

If you are particularly interested in the KEF PSW3000 (or other KEF models), you will be able to demo them at any Superfi store. As said earlier though, they will sound different in a different room.

gonzo said:
Hi Rick
The svs 20-39 pc+ will rock your walls,I watched the grudge last night at -10 db and the part where the hanged mans legs bang on the wall my whole room shook dislodging a few pictures hanging in my hallway.My room is 16'x14' so should be fine in your room,The svs is also very good with music no boom at all just smooth tight bass.
Cheers Gonzo.

hey gonzo,

i watched that the other night and it is most definately one of the best, if not the best overall film soundtracks ive heard. definately should be a reference point i think. and that swinging body was absolutely insane :eek: top stuff :)

Right gang here's the latest state of play.

Got hold of a one year(ish) old REL Q400E in walnut on sale or return.

Disconnected and re-boxed the M&K V125 ready to return to Overture in Banbury - at this point I must say a public big "THANK YOU!" to Ben at Overture for all of his help in both recommending and installing the system (pre subwoofer) - seriously everyone he is very very helpful and knowledgeable and it's well worth giving him a call if your in the market for some new kit. (No I'm not employed/sponsored by Overture but I am a firm believer in quality service and on the rare occasions nowadays that that is received then I feel it should be rewarded!)

So, now I'm at the setting up stage of the Q400E to see if it's the answer to my prayers - yes I'm going to need help (please) but I'll start a new thread for that.

Cheers
Rick

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom