SVS v Monitor Audio BR

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by xxGBHxx, Sep 5, 2007.

1. xxGBHxx

xxGBHxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know, go and listen to them is the answer but some of us don't have the time or listening skills.

I've done a huge amount of research, have about £1k to spend and have narrowed it down to an SVS set or a MA BR 5.1 (or perhaps 5.0 with a monolith) but I'm just not sure which one would be better for me.

I can see my habbits being 50-50 with music/movies and they'll be fed through an Onkyo 875. I'll almost certainly go for the floorstanding MA rather than the bookshelf and living in a terraced flat I'll crank up the volume probably 5% of the time so on the whole decent sound at "normal" (read low) listening levels is vital. I've read plenty of superlatives about both systems but the SVS does like to be played loud before they really shine - and thats not a luxury I have.

The room is a little oddly shaped but is 13.5*11*8.75 so around 1251 qubic feet if you ignore the 3 foot for the bay window.

So for around the £1k mark for 5.1 which would I be more likely happy with? Is there anything else I should be considering - WAF isn't too much a problem as she's very understanding.

Thanks in advance

G

2. Goaty

Goaty
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an 875 and the SVS set up and I'm very happy with it.

Music sounds great and the limited amount of time I've had to play around with movies and my 360 have convinced me I made the right choice.

AV Sales were great to deal with if you go with the SVS set up.

I live in a flat too and haven't had any problems with a decent sound at a "respectable" volume - at least no-one's complained yet (probably something to do with the murder upstairs a few weeks ago :( )

3. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi,

I havent' heard the SVS speakers or sub :-( ... so can't help you there.

The MA's I've heard and I would reccommend them to anyone with that price-point BUT don't get the MA sub - they're expensive and much better (like the Monolith you mentioned) can be found for less money!

Sorry for the partial answer.

4. xxGBHxx

xxGBHxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies and yes I knew about the MA sub (hence the mention of the Monolith or similar)

Doesn't look like anyone else has any insight either :/

G

5. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    You're looking for a direct comparison - so you have to be lucky to find someone who heard both on a reasonable setup!

6. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,428
    Comparing the MA to a Monolith is a little harsh unless you're taking no other criteria into account other than the fact they're subs. Usually most people have to take other factors into account. The Monolith is a fair bit bigger than the MA sub, which is quite compact by comparison. For the size, the MA sub is a very good sub and will fill relatively large rooms. The Bronze range is a very strong range and is among the best of the budget ranges available.