SVS Ultra's PB13 vs PC13

kingcobbler

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Time has almost arrived for a change of sub. I've been happy with my REL Q400E, but once the living room is redecorated I'll have the room for a single large sub. So its either gonna be the ultra box or the ultra cylinder. Apart from looks is there any performance gain in the box over the cylinder or is the extra cost going towards the look and quality of finish. I think I would prefer the smaller foorprint of the cylinder but as I say this is the last change of sub for many years and want to get it right.

Not sure about the Ultras but I remember when looking into the Plus the box subs were tuned at 25hz, unlike the cylinders (available in 16 and 20hz variants) I think even if I had the room I'd prefer the cylinder, it takes up hardly any floorspace, not much more than a 12" sealed box. The PB13 is huge.

Thats my thoughts regarding footprint. My room is 22 feet long by 12 feet deep but we sit along the wide side of the room so the box would be sticking out a long way into the room, whereas the cylinder can be put in the corner where the Q400E is and not take up much more room. The Q400E is aprox 15 inches by 16 inches in foot print.

They both measure virtually identically. If space is a consideration then the PC13 is ideal.

The box will go marginally deeper than the cylinder but most people would never be able to tell the difference as they are both so good

If you buy the cylinder, there'd be no point in redecorating. Nobody will ever notice the walls again once they clamp eyes on that thing.

Russell

Very true... Part of the redecorating it to cover over the settlement cracks. Also the excuse for the wife to put a fancy new fireplace in, hence me getting the new sub.

Just worried the beast might create more cracks in the plaster !

I have one of the earlier Ultra's and went for that as the footprint was very useful and it hides reasonably well at the side of the room.

Either way,as others have said already,you won't be disappointed,and the jump in performance and sound quality may surprise you.

I remember, as IanJ said, that the box has a slight edge due to it's slightly bigger capacity, but setup/room could quite easily negate that difference.
At the AVSales demo, I think it's fair to say most people actually preferred the cylinder, sound-wise. Not me though, I preferred the box, which is what I bought.
Nowt in it though and both are excellent.

FWIW, my missus actually prefers tubes to boxes and was quite sad when I sold the PC12 Ultra :D

I remember, as IanJ said, that the box has a slight edge due to it's slightly bigger capacity

Sure about that? The box probably has internal braces which lower the internal volume. Pour salt water into your PB13 to the brim to find out internal volume, and I'll do as well. :D

Sure about that? The box probably has internal braces which lower the internal volume. Pour salt water into your PB13 to the brim to find out internal volume, and I'll do as well. :D

Yep, I'm sure.
It's only a few CCs though, no doubt.

I hope your pouring pots have been calibrated and the salt purified to the normal standards mate, else we'll be having a debate about that too :D ;)

Oh and you go first, so I can see what I need to beat :)

Accordng to my calculations, volume is

151073.99999999988 cu cm.

However I'll need to decuct volume of the 13 driver and amp, plus thickess of sonotube, and how far up the drive is mounted.

Radius is 21cm, height 109 (external dimensions of the tube, not the base plate or bit above the ports)

The small volume differences are neither here nor there in practical terms. What one may gain in box volume is off-set by a cylinders natural rigidity.

The PCUs (in my experience of them) do provide a slightly smoother in room response due to the fact that they emit bass from two points nearly four feet apart, thus energising the rooms (potential) modes at distinctly different points.

I first noticed this when using a pair of inverted Monoliths, but the two PCs I've tuned since exhibited exactly the same characteristic. IMHO, if you don't mind the look, I'd buy a PC.

Russell

Cheers folks, all very interesting.

Looks like a a big furry tube in a couple of months.

Need to begin the work on the wife from today.

Do AV-Sales have a cylinder ultra on permanent demo ? I might take a day of work before I buy and go down there with the Q400E in the boot and hear the difference before I part with the cash. But I presume the difference will be large.

Cheers folks, all very interesting.

Looks like a a big furry tube in a couple of months.

Need to begin the work on the wife from today.

Do AV-Sales have a cylinder ultra on permanent demo ? I might take a day of work before I buy and go down there with the Q400E in the boot and hear the difference before I part with the cash. But I presume the difference will be large.

Hi,

We have recently sold our demonstration PCU and will hopefully have another shipped in from our logistics centre during next week.

It's no problem to book a demo, of course.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom