SVS Ultra SB13 or Dual SB2000

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Charlie Brown, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi. I'm in the process of refreshing my lounge speaker setup, which is used mostly for TV and Movies, plus a little music. I'm currently running Leema Xone floors standers with matching centre and a BK XXLS400 DF. The Leema speakers are being replaced by MA Apex speakers to allow us to free up loads of space in an awkwark layout room of about 10m x 5m. The sub is therefore going to be a lot more active in the new setup with a crossover of around 100Hz, hence am planning to upgrade.
    I've narrowed down my search to either a SVS SB13 or dual SVS SB2000. The dual setup will fit much better into the room, with one sub at the front between the LR speakers and the other next to the sofa.
    But will the Ultra give the better sound?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Ellisdj

Ellisdj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +506
    How likely are you to buy another sub in the future or are you after a set and forget here??

3. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    This will be it for the foreseeable for this room. I should have said, i do like my bass, but the system also needs to do subtle as used by the family during the day.

4. the little audio company

the little audio company
    Previously davidf AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    The SB13U is a more capable sub, and will reach deeper than the SB2000 (even two of them), but that's not to say that two SB2000s are going to be any slouch. With the benefits of two subs, I personally would plump for the dual SB2000s.

If you were thinking longer term of adding or upgrading, I'd go with one SB13U now and add another one later.

5. tris101

tris101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Have you thought about the Arendal 1723 Subwoofer 2? I also have Ma Apex speakers and BK XXLS400 DF and have been thinking of a swap to a 1723 subwoofer 1.

6. AudioVisualOnline

AudioVisualOnline
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    The SB13U is still the superior unit and will have better quality than even a pair of SB2000. For the best quality, as others have said, the SB13U is the better unit. I currently have a black oak demo one available at a discounted price thats only been out of the box for a couple of months and run for under 10 hours, so if thats the finish youre after theres also a good discount to be had :smashin:

7. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
  8. the little audio company

the little audio company

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    As supplied by PSA :)

9. AudioVisualOnline

AudioVisualOnline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    The only notable advantage the PSA has over the Sb13U is in the 15-25Hz range, which would be expected given the 15" driver over the 13.5" in the SVS. Everything above that theres not enough in it for there to be an audible difference. These figures also tell you nothing about how each subwoofer sounds. The PSA has very good low down output, especially for its price point, but this chart tells you little else unfortunately.

10. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Fair enough. :) But i would still think about it cause the cost difference is quite big. New SB13U on your site is 1750£ and S1500 about 1150£. And quite many people do put more weight on the 16-25hz output when you read these boards. Just giving some options as other people with Arendal subs. As i said put it in your list to think about, not saying "this is the best choice for you". OP will make the decision himself. :) I got nothing but love for SVS, but i also tend to think which would give me the biggest bang for buck. As OP says there is only little music listening, mostly tv/movies so in my mind PSA should definitely be in the mix.

11. the little audio company

the little audio company

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    The amount of films with energy in the 16-25Hz region are very few and far between. Plus there's quite a size difference between some of those subs - no issue if you have a man cave, but when it's the user's living room, it's an important factor.

12. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Is this to insinuate that the quoted post was made by someone who is associated with Power Sound Audio in any form? If so, you are mistaken david. That type of practice may be embraced by you but I can assure you, not Power Sound.

Tom V.

13. the little audio company

the little audio company

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Nope, you've jumped to the wrong conclusion there. And I'm here as me, with no other log ins to my name.

14. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Actually S1500 is quite on par with SB13U when it comes to size. :)

Dimensions (D x W x H): 46 x 43 x 44cm - S1500

Dimensions (H x W x D) 442mm x 442mm x 442mm - SVS SB13U

15. the little audio company

the little audio company

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    But an SB2000 is much smaller, and far more likely candidate for the average room. SB13 Ultras are more for dedicated rooms or quite large living rooms. Unless an understanding other half is involved, of course.

16. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +444
    Good point, but one would need to think carefully would the dual SB2000 be enough in quite large 10x5 meters room. Also keeping in mind the small price difference + performance gain with S1500. Not knowing the OP`s maximum budget, but dual S1500 would probably be something as a final choice for many years to come vs. with dual SB2000 one might be left hungry. This is from what i read from different forums many years..

829£ SB2000
    1150£ S1500

So one would need dual SB2000 to match output of one S1500. The usual recommendation seems to be buy the best one you can and add a second one later.. If the budget won`t allow this even in future, then the dual SB2000 should be better choice in large room for more even bass. I guess all can agree to this.

But yeah kinda pointless to argue as we don`t know does he watch blockbusters mainly and how loud, can he place the dual subwoofers freely as in most optimal places to get maximum benefits etc..

17. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm rather limited on placement as this is our lounge and the SB13 is as big as i can go if at least one of the subs is going to be at the front (which i think is essential given the pairing with the Apex speakers and hence a 100Hz crossover). I'm running from a Yamaha AVR, so all processing will be done by the amp.
    A "proper" home cinema will be on the cards in a few years time when we extend or convert part of the garage, so i cant help but thinl that the dual SB2000 setup will be good enough for now, not least as i can leave one switched of for normal family TV viewing. However, i cant help but think an Ultra SB13 will still out do the SB2000s for the same money.

18. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    I suppose this really depends on what genre of films the OP likes watching. If Rom Coms then fair enough the 16-25hz range won't be a priority. But I would take a guess and say this is not the case. Many SCI-FIs and action films have much emphasis in this range for deep bass (EOT, WOTW, TDK, Pixar films, Black Hawk Down, Hurt Locker etc etc.) so I would suggest the OP looks to find a sub that fits his requirements and not dismiss subs based on figures that may actually be important!

19. Tom @ PSA

Tom @ PSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Same here..:)

Tom V.

20. sanjualf

sanjualf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I have had the BK400 and SVS SB2000 before I moved to PSA1500 and the difference on blockbuster movies between SB2000 and PSA1500 is huge. PSA 1500 really digs deep and no slouch in the upper bass as well. Almost similar size to the BK 400. If I have to choose between SB13ultra and PSA1500 it is a no brainer for me as they are both similar size, and performance ( PSA digs deeper for movies) and the PSA unit is 50 % cheaper in UK.( weighs less as well if you need to move it around) Even the SB2000 is now going for 799 which is insane ( when I bought mine 3 years ago it was £599) For your room size I would be thinking about dual PSA1500 ultimately, to get a lovely Pressurising feel. I am personally thinking about adding a second PSA 1500 soon.If you can only get one sub and don't mind the size the PSA 3000 will give the SB13U a run for its money

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  21. the little audio company

the little audio company

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    Even a lot of those type of films don't go much below 30Hz. As I say, it's rare, particularly when a number of action films have their lower bass lopped off around 30Hz (I think Pacific Rim was an example?)

22. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
  23. the little audio company

the little audio company

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    I'm aware of the list. What's the basis for the star system though? Pacific Rim gets 4.5 stars, which given (I believe) it's cut at 30Hz, it's obviously not purely based on depth.

Of those 5 star films, only 9 are regular watches for me (10 of the 4.5 stars). Personally, despite loving bass, my film watching doesn't revolve around it - I tend to watch or re-watch good films that I enjoy, regardless of their bass content.

24. Liammonty123

Liammonty123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +519
    I am exactly the same, I re-watch films that I like. However I am saying that quite a few films that I like have been shown to have strong response below 30hz, as shown by the graphs on the films, therefore a subwoofer with strong output below 30hz would be necessary to listen to those films in the way they were intended to be listened to which could also apply to the OP. My point is that you seem to have dismissed the importance of below 30hz output in subwoofers due to there being 'lack of content' which is not the case. I'm sure a basshead wouldn't be happy with a sub that rolled off below 30hz. When choosing a subwoofer I feel it is important to consider the frequency response of the range it will be listened in and also the end goal or desire.

25. andym81

andym81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I had the same question a few months back. I contacted svs and they said 2x sb 2000 would come very close to sb13 ultra in output. Sb 13 ultra has slightly better. They recommend the 2000s over the ultra.

I never made my mind up and still have the one sb 2000. I'd listen to the guys on here and get the psa 1500. Same some cash and buy a second one in the future

26. paulst10

paulst10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,616
    There's a better thread now.. The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
    This one is being updated on a regular basis with links to the graphs..

I agree it's annoying they filter their content but you do still get a good share of full bandwidth content releases.. check out the new Alien Covenant graph.. has content down to 5hz (I'm betting this will be one of the best bass flicks of 2017)
    [​IMG]

27. the little audio company

the little audio company

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +674
    5Hz isn't going to improve it! :)

28. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,996
    It can't be that bad . . . . . can it ?

29. Cold blooded

Cold blooded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Time in your life that you'll never get back too then I guess.... It's a dire film...

Oops meant to quote David..... See! That films made me brain dead(in fact if I were.. I MAY have enjoyed if!!!)

30. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,996
    I still need to see it . . . . strangely :D