SVS Ultra 13 amp just blown

Buckster

Distinguished Member
Is a replacement Sledge my previous BASH amp failed years ago

On turning power on at wall saw a flash and small pop and fuse went

Replaced with the spare and it instantly popped (assuming 2nd one is a spare)

Anyone know where can still buy these amps from and how much please ?

I guess alternative is to power with external amp with built in DSP to do any EQ needed

Will open amp up later and check what's going on inside

dobrykamil

Sounds like a short in power supply, in the primary side to me.

Buckster

Distinguished Member
Thankyou yeah could be I'll open up later and have a basic look around

I've read conflicting reports on avsforum to whether the new STA-1200d amp fits the older PC-13 sledge seemed to suggest SVS saying port interference and a spacer would be required but info also suggested same problem to a lesser extent for the STA-1000d amp but that fitted in mine fine

Maybe mine is a newer revision

Buckster

Distinguished Member
Ok the mystery deepens somehow the amp failing on the sub has also or is associated somehow with blown HDMI output 1 of my Denon amp ???!!! Hdmi output 2 still works thankfully

Don't get it

Denon and SVS are connected separate wall outlets and separate surge protectors

TV and SVS are on same surge protector

Either something gone back down the analogue audio line to amp and then blown HDMI 1 (unlikely) or somehow the short or amp fialurw on SVS has done something transitory to the Plasma TV and something happened on the HDMI input to blow the output on the Denon

I tried HDMI 1 and 2 on TV with HDMI output 1 from Denon - nothing

I tried HDMI 2 on TV with HDMI output 2 on Denon and AOK

I don't dare try HDMI 1 on TV to HDMI Out 2 on Denon incase whatever happened wasn't transitory ! Don't want to blow the 2nd output on the Denon

Any ideas to what possibly could have happened please ?

Buckster

Distinguished Member
Does this look odd please or just aged

Stuff around the screws presumably anti vibration or something looks oddly brown in colour and bubbly

Attachments

• IMG_20211013_195903.jpg
    IMG_20211013_195903.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20211013_203959.jpg
    IMG_20211013_203959.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 29

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Before you jump, unless you want it as an excuse, remove power from the Denon and leave it for 12-24hours.

I have had a similar occurrence before where the spike has just over charged a circuit somewhere else. Removing it from power for a time allowed the components to fully discharge, allowing them to come back to life when turned back on.

HTH

Ed Mullen

Is a replacement Sledge my previous BASH amp failed years ago

On turning power on at wall saw a flash and small pop and fuse went

Replaced with the spare and it instantly popped (assuming 2nd one is a spare)

Anyone know where can still buy these amps from and how much please ?

I guess alternative is to power with external amp with built in DSP to do any EQ needed

Will open amp up later and check what's going on inside

Thankyou yeah could be I'll open up later and have a basic look around

I've read conflicting reports on avsforum to whether the new STA-1200d amp fits the older PC-13 sledge seemed to suggest SVS saying port interference and a spacer would be required but info also suggested same problem to a lesser extent for the STA-1000d amp but that fitted in mine fine

Maybe mine is a newer revision

Looks like a power surge has damaged the power supply. Probably explains the Denon HDMI issue too.

At any rate, you'll need a Sledge STA-1200D amp. And yes - depending on the port orientation, there might be interference with the amp, most notably on the left side (as you are facing the amp).

Reach out to our CS support center and we'll give you detailed guidance on how to measure the distance from the amp mounting surface to the ports on both sides, so we can determine if you'll need a spacer or not.

Buckster

Distinguished Member
Thankyou very much for reply - much appreciated I will send a message to SVS customer support ref measuring.

Ref power surge not sure as both the AV amp and SVS were switched off at the multi way surge protected socket over night and both were used right till turning off the night before

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom