SVS subwoofers

weezz

Standard Member
Reaction score
Im am tempted to get a 25-31PCi
but i would like to know from everbody point of view how good is this sub???
can it deliver what movie theater delivers
as in terms of room shaking bass that you can feel as well as hear.
because thats what im looking for in a subwoofer
i've went though two subs so far and they haven't achieved my highest expectations
i dont want waste hard earned money on another sub that can't achieve what i want
can somebody please help me out on this one???

It can deliver much more in the bass department than the subs that you've already mentioned here. It will depend on the size of your room as this sub is meant for medium sized rooms

Thx for repling Ian!!!
but i would like to know if the 25-31PCi bass can be felt as well as hear heard
im looking for perfect bass for music and movies together
im just trying to get near movie theater experience even thought there subwoofer can't be beat
also my small room size is 8x10 or 9x11

weezz said:
i would like to know if the 25-31PCi bass can be felt as well as heard

It can - especially in a room your size.

ok now you've got me interested
i was asking that question because i was gonna get a velodyne dps-12 subwoofer but i notice people kept mention "SVS" subs are the best
and it is kind of hard to believe since they only do business online, so they don't have places where you can experience them....
so that means i have to buy it at my own risk

I know how you feel, I was rather nervous about it. If you have wood floors then be prepared for your furniture to go for a walk, I have a pb12 isd/v on carpeted slab floors and furniture still moves a little.

I recently bought an SVS PC-Ultra on the advice of several people both here and elsewhere,and in performance/value terms,it works extremely well,with plenty of extension and power,certainly sufficient to feel,if the bass is there.

The Velodyne is also and excellent sub,and you should also consider models from B&W etc.....I did find though,having tried the B&W 850,that the PC-Ultra went significantly deeper,at higher levels,and cleaner also.

SVS offer a 45 day money back guarantee if you aren't completely satisfied with the sub. You will have to pay the return carriage charges.

If you ask around on the American forums you may find an owner living close to you who may let you have a demo of his sub.

ok thx everybody
i've want to know have you all experience the 25-31PCi
and if you did how good was it
because it seems that you all have better subs then the one i've mention

Ian J said:
SVS offer a 45 day money back guarantee if you aren't completely satisfied with the sub. You will have to pay the return carriage charges.

:D Took long enough!

what is quality difference between the
25-31PCi and 20-39PCi???
i've have enough to buy one or the other???
but i need to know

weezz said:
25-31PCi and 20-39PCi???
but i need to know

They are the same model, it's just they both have different port tunes. They are ported to their respective first two numbers in the model name.

See the FAQ for more info.
http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm

I have the 20-39 PC Plus, upgraded from a Rel Storm. PC Plus has the option to plugging one or two ports for lower tune, you loose max dB output and increase port noise though (best to go for lower true ported model if you wanted lowest port tune rather than plugging) Plugging one is ok, but two results in too much air noise.

In a room that small I would go for the 20hz model. Unless you run it super loud you might prefer the added lower end response. ie Ring of Sauron ring blast :D

weezz said:
25-31PCi and 20-39PCi???
but i need to know

Same sub, bigger one is tuned to a lower freq., but the smaller has more output. Both will work, and in your room you might as well go for the 20-39 because their is no way your going to reach it's limits.

I have one in the corner of my living room which is 24' X 18', with 10' ceiling and an open floor plan into the den and kitchen. According to SVS I'm supposed to need two of these subs, but this one sub takes care of my needs easily. I set it up to the dolby reference of 75dB and only have it turned up 1/3 with my processor level set to -8.

Very deep and powerful bass, shakes everything in the house.

This is not the most articulate sub for music that I've ever heard (I'm very picky when it comes to my music), but for HT I just don't know how you could get a whole lot better.

I do know you can spend allot more and get allot less. SVS are not hype, their the real deal. :thumbsup:

thanks for the reply Jack!!!
i've alrdy purchase the 20-39PCi
i just waitng for the arrival (which is next week)
also u said the 20-39PCi isn't perfect for music??? (man and my yamaha
yst-sw315 subwoofer is very good for music)
anyways
i cant wait to test it out
i just hope i get the same (or near) feel as the local movie theaters (even though movie theater subwoofers can't be beaten at all, or at least i think it can't, please convince me if im wrong) i want bass i can feel and hear with accuratecy and perfection hopefully this investment will cut it!!!

Jack Dotson said:
I have one in the corner of my living room which is 24' X 18', with 10' ceiling and an open floor plan into the den and kitchen. According to SVS I'm supposed to need two of these subs, but this one sub takes care of my needs easily.

Very deep and powerful bass, shakes everything in the house.

This is not the most articulate sub for music that I've ever heard (I'm very picky when it comes to my music), but for HT I just don't know how you could get a whole lot better.

I do know you can spend allot more and get allot less. SVS are not hype, their the real deal. :thumbsup:

Jack

Can I suggest that you try pulling your sub out from that corner if you want musical bass? Even having such a large subwoofer in the corner <and near a main speaker> will spoil the bass from the nearest speaker. The sub increases boundary gain dramatically for the nearest floorstanding speaker in my 30 feet long room. I couldn't even live with my 16-46 if it had to sit in the corner. No matter how low the gain was set. So it's about nine feet from the nearest corner. Which tightens the bass remarkably and adds subtle tone and timbre to the musical proceedings without the previous soft bloat.

You could decide on the best positions for music or films and just place your sub appropriately depending on whether you are listening to music or or watching films. Mine just lives where it is for both media. My listening triangle is across one end of the room which is open to the downstairs living room. I still see nearly 110dB (uncorrected, slow C) on bass effects on films using high-level connections.

Nimby said:
Jack

Can I suggest that you try pulling your sub out from that corner if you want musical bass? Even having such a large subwoofer in the corner <and near a main speaker> will spoil the bass from the nearest speaker. The sub increases boundary gain dramatically for the nearest floorstanding speaker in my 30 feet long room. I couldn't even live with my 16-46 if it had to sit in the corner. No matter how low the gain was set. So it's about nine feet from the nearest corner. Which tightens the bass remarkably and adds subtle tone and timbre to the musical proceedings without the previous soft bloat.

You could decide on the best positions for music or films and just place your sub appropriately depending on whether you are listening to music or or watching films. Mine just lives where it is for both media. My listening triangle is across one end of the room which is open to the downstairs living room. I still see nearly 110dB (uncorrected, slow C) on bass effects on films using high-level connections.

Thanks for the advise. I am limited as to where I can place it, but I can move it down the side wall from the corner about 5'. I can also move it a foot or so away from the side wall.

I'll give the a try and see if it tightens things up a bit. BTW, your description "soft bloat", is perfect.

I also don't anticipate a problem with levels as mine has more than enough for my room. These things are just monsters when it comes to output.

I've just got my 20-39PCi (now i've joined the svs family)
cant give results yet
i've just got my radio shack SPL meter (33-4050 analog meter)
i dont have a avia dvd yet but i should have one in a week or so...
does this mean i won't have good results
since i only have a SPL meter and not the avia dvd disc with it???
also the manual i've read said for me to level my sub volume to 1/3
what is 1/3 volume level in clock terms???

Try around 10 O'clock,and start with the receivers sub level at around -5db and tweek from there.

weezz said:
I've just got my 20-39PCi (now i've joined the svs family)
cant give results yet
i've just got my radio shack SPL meter (33-4050 analog meter)
i dont have a avia dvd yet but i should have one in a week or so...
does this mean i won't have good results
since i only have a SPL meter and not the avia dvd disc with it???
also the manual i've read said for me to level my sub volume to 1/3
what is 1/3 volume level in clock terms???

Congratulations on your wise purchase. :)

Here's the new BFD guide. You can forget all about the BFD for the moment but you will find downloadable sinewave test tones and sweeps on this webpage.
These can be fed to your amplifier or AV receiver from your line level computer speaker-out socket to check the balance between your speakers and the subwoofer.

http://bfdguide.ws

To start with I'd suggest a 9 o'clock setting for Gain on the SVS Bash amp.
Set phase to "0" for the moment.
If you are using an AV receiver then switch the SVS crossover off (disabled).
You may need to tell your receiver that you have a subwoofer connected if you haven't already.

You can get a quick and dirty setting for your sub just by playing a bassy music CD. Turn the Gain on the sub up gently until you can hear the extra bass coming from the sub above the main speakers. Then turn the sub's Gain back down a bit until you can't really tell where the bass is coming from any more. This will put you in the ballpark until your Avia disk arrives.

There are several fallback options: Some DVD players have speaker/sub setup on board if you check your menu. Some DVD disks also have a speaker/sub setup option. Some AV receivers offer you test tones for speaker & sub setup. These will get you close enough to start enjoying your new sub.

Remember:

If it sounds right to you, then it is right.

Enjoy! :)

thanks for the reply

on my spl meter im following the instrctions on how to level the sounds properly
but...
it is telling me to turn the spl meter knob to 70
and my reciever volume to 75db
on my yamaha reciever my volume starts from -80db to about +16.5db
so if im right then 75db is -5db right???
also how can i use this spl meter properly for my subwoofer??? am im supposed to turn my spl meter knob to 80???
as you all know
i dont know how to use this spl meter properly

another thing is it all right to use a y-adapter on my sub on the left and right inputs,even tho i am not using to subs
(if im off topic please let me know)

Just commenting on your point about cinema subwoofers. I don't know where you live but I have visited all the cinemas in cambridgeshire and Peterborough and they are all absolutely rubbish.

The sound and performance of my sub (and HT in general) is far better than any cinema I have ever been in. I actually paid extra to go to the 'Deluxe' cinema at my local Cineworld in huntingdon... worst picture ever and the rear left speaker wasn't working... :mad:

I will never willingly visit a cinema again... rubbish sound, rubbish picture and annoying children talking through it. (I am the bloke who gets up and knocks their heads together).

Anyway what I am saying is unless your local cinema is THX approved or something then your new sub could well be a significant improvement on what you hear in your local cinema. :thumbsup:

weezz

Have a read of the "Using an SPL Meter" (sticky) thread near the top of the thread list on this forum. It might help. :)

AngelEyes said:
Just commenting on your point about cinema subwoofers. I don't know where you live but I have visited all the cinemas in cambridgeshire and Peterborough and they are all absolutely rubbish.

The sound and performance of my sub (and HT in general) is far better than any cinema I have ever been in. I actually paid extra to go to the 'Deluxe' cinema at my local Cineworld in huntingdon... worst picture ever and the rear left speaker wasn't working... :mad:

I will never willingly visit a cinema again... rubbish sound, rubbish picture and annoying children talking through it. (I am the bloke who gets up and knocks their heads together).

Anyway what I am saying is unless your local cinema is THX approved or something then your new sub could well be a significant improvement on what you hear in your local cinema. :thumbsup:
I agree entirely with the above. I live in P'Boro' and have tried all the cinemas in a 50 mile radius and find the sound much better at home. I also am one of those who gets annoyed at people talking and making a noise during the movie.

weezz said:
it is telling me to turn the spl meter knob to 70
and my reciever volume to 75db
on my yamaha reciever my volume starts from -80db to about +16.5db
so if im right then 75db is -5db right???

Turn the SPL meter to 70 and look to achieve a +5.
Your amp displays the volume relative to reference volume which is 75db, so set the amp to 0.
Some amps (denons for certain) automatically set the volume to 0db when you enter the test tone menu, you can adjust it if you want but it defaults to 0.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom