1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS subwoofers

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Bone Daddy, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Has anyone imported one of these beasts into this country?? after reading the reviews on their site www.svsubwoofers.com I am really tempted.I have their car audio versions installed in the car - real nice deep bass :D and was just looking for someone on this side of the pond to confirm my thoughts and post theirs on the home variety.Looks like I may have to post in the General chat section under the `time to confess` thread which is ticking along nice,and makes for a good read of other peoples experiences in this delicate field:kisses:

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Must admit I've been looking at these for quite a while myself.
    One of my freinds over in the states has eight (thats right 8) in his HT room.
    Apparently during the Phantom Menace dvd (great bass on this) his clothes actually started fluttering from the air pressure.

Eric

3. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gotta love good deep bass :D hopefully should have one or maybe two :devil: in the next few weeks

4. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm in the market for a sub - and have been tempted into buying an SVS for a while now.

I've been trying to find someone from over here who has brought one - but havent managed it yet...

I didn't know they did ICE. (?)

anyway - after worrying about the duty, the problems if anything wen wrong - and worrying about what the damn thing is going to sound like (obviously I can't try before I buy) - and, after demo'ing various subs over here, I have decided to take the plunge...

...i've just ordered a 20-39PCi

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    eric, can they be that good if your friend needs eight? or is he a man after my own heart?

6. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    SVS subs are great, I havent heard one but I have followed the Americans use of them for quite some time and they are nice subwoofers.

They provide very deep bass and a pair will give very powerfull SPL values.

A well built DIY Tempest Sonosub can beat some of the SVS's depth and output with adaquate power and design.

I can imagine 8 SVS's would be give ultimate bass extention and extreme SPL levels, I would personaly worry about my home being damaged.

7. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS HEARD AN SVS SUB!???16

:)

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This really sounds awsome. Anyone know how big these things are and who sells them in the East London area.

Cheers
    Turkish

9. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I was looking at the web site and there is a shipping charge of $150 to the UK.

10. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    i've just received my SVS. I paid only $75 shipping, and plus there is a sale on at the moment - the 20-39PCi has gone down by $100. The cost does get bumped up with VAT and duty and handling, but if the subs are as good as a lot of HT forums say they are, I won't look back. I'll let you know once it's up and running..................... :)

12. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    That shipping charge is peanuts considering where it came from and the size & weight.

Sorry to be a bit cheeky but would you mind posting total price it cost door to door??

Enjoy the bass. :D

Cheers
    Boris

13. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Boris - I took your advice in the end! :)

Well, I still don't know exactly the price I have paid - but below is a break down...

$549 for the sub (SVS have a sale on at the moment - they're usually $649)

$75 shipping (you'll have to get in touch with SVS to get a shipping price as international orders vary)

($624 (total) is about £420)

...& I paid £213 for VAT, duty, aircraft handling charges and customs clearance (ouch!)

as I say, I haven't set up the sub yet, but believe that I'm still getting better value than had I brought a sub from the UK.

Tom reckons I should be experiencing 116 - 122db's of clean, flat bass from the single cylinder in my 12 x 12 ft room !:)!

14. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Thanks. :)

So £636, round up to a nice figure say £650.

Bargain. :D

The only other choice with similar price/performance is the Servo15. (Which seems hard to come by at the moment).
    Or DIY.

Cheers
    Boris

15. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I didn't trust myself, and nor have I got the time at the moment to go down the DIY route - but yes, I'm sure the results of DIY projects are phenomenal. I was looking at a DIY jobs online this morning actually - check these out... -you've only got to look at the size of them to be convinced of there capability!

members.tripod.com/~terryctheater/shivaphotoalbum/page12.html:)

16. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sessen,

Input please my finger is hovering over the send button for a 25-31 tuned to 22hz:D

Steve

17. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    hahaha! - I know exactly how you feel! :D

I'm afraid I still cannot comment on the sub as I haven't finished decorating my front room and none of my HT gear is set up!!

Steve - do you ever go to the Home Theatre Forum?

http://www.hometheaterforum.com

Hundreds of SVS owners use this forum (all americans - granted). Go to the "Speakers and subwoofers" section - there's so many SVS reviews and threads you probably won't even need to perform a search.

I was looking everywhere for someone from the UK who had actually heard an SVS - to no avail, but I blindly took the plunge anyway. And that was after demo'ing Rel Q100, Q150, Q200, Q400, and a couple of subs from Kef and M&K.

You can't argue with so many testimonys, and the way SVS do business (I have found their customer service absolutely superb) not to mention Hoffman's Iron Law....... :)

I'll let you know my comments on the 20-39PCi's performance as soon as I can..... - ... the only thing I can tell you at the moment, is that it looks gorgeous :D !

18. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sessen, yes I've checked out Home Theatre forum the only problem is, as you say they are all Americans, not that there's anything wrong with our cousins just they tend to go overboard sometimes when praising a product when in reality it's "just ok"

My main dilema was whether to wait for the PC plus which according to Ron at SVS will allow user tuning to 20hz using bungs and a lot more headroom due to the different driver and the 575Watt Bash Amp.

My room's only small, 15x8x8 so I'm probably going to get the PCi 25-31 tuned to 22Hz.

I agree with you on the Customer Service, they rank alongside Tag McLaren with regard to listening to their customers and response to queries by the people who run the company. Someday all companies will be this way ;)

I suppose I've got the 45 day money back guarantee as a safety net, ahhh to hell with it I'll order it now!!!:D :D

How long did it take to arrive after order placement?

Steve

19. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    :D yep - you've got your 45 day money back guarantee - but I personally did not consider that as an option, due to the fact that the cost of shipping is not refundable together with the added expense of duty, customers clearance blah blah blah... - it would work out expensive.

Yeah I know what you mean about the Americans - so it is a little bit of a gamble - the reviews where they compare say an M&K sub and talk in detail at how the SVS out performs carrys more weight...

It also stands to reason that the company are saving an awful lot of money by selling their product only over the internet and by not advertising - and are passing these savings on to the customer. A friend of mine works for Monitor Audio, and the mark up they put on their equipment is massive for these reasons alone.

It takes SVS about 3 - 5 days to ship out the sub, and will take about 5 - 8 business days to get to you. I had mine shipped to Heathrow and picked it up from there to save costs.

20. justinh

justinh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have imported an SVS 25-31 PCi sub from the states.

I do not have very much experience to compare the SVS to as I have not had a sub before but to my ears they are fabulous and live up to the comments on the states forums.

The power is breathtaking and bottom end very deep. They seem to be ahead of much of the competition when price is taken into account.

Price is pushed up quite a bit when importing because of the tranport, VAT/import duty costs however I am still very please with it.

They are quite big though !!

Justin

21. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Justin, I've ordered one also, should be sat at the airport in the states while we speak.

I originally wanted a Servo 15 but cant get one in the UK anymore, hopefully it will come somewhere close to the Servo 15's performance, it's also a little smaller :eek:

Steve

22. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Justinh - how did you get round the supplied US spec power lead?

Cheers

23. Roman

Roman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Guys,

I visitied a friend in Chicago back in April and he had just bought an SVS Sub. Having heard it I have to say it was total value for money. I own 2 Rel Q201's and an M&K VX100 and his SVS was at least the equal of all three of these. The only disadvantage was that his model was the size of a dustbin!

Cheers, Roman

24. justinh

justinh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I my case and presumably for anyone ordering from the UK they switch the PSU to 230v internally and supply a 3 pin UK mains spec plug that has the US style mains connector at the other end to go in the back of the SVS sub.

No problems were met - plugged it in and switch on...

Justin

25. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks Justinh. I'm not big on electronics - how do I go about switching the internal PSU to 230v?

cheers.

26. justinh

justinh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You shouldn't need to - SVS will do that for you before shipping.

I don't know how you would if you got one set for 120v though

Justin

27. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Oh right! they probably did then! :rolleyes: i'll check with them...

all I know is that the power lead they sent me was 220v...

28. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the PS was US spec eg 110v you'd need a stepdown transformer, they freely avaialble at places like maplins, however I'd expect SVS to have changed it to 230v. Drop them a mail I'm sure they'd be able to tell you the spec of the PS in your sub. They do build them to order!!

I cant wait for mine, how long did it take once you had the UPS tracking no?

steve

PS D'oh!! you already replied!!

29. Sessen Ryu

Sessen Ryu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    yeah - I'm sure they have - i''ll check anyway. it only took 3 business days to get to heathrow - I had to ring BAX Global to chase it up as they didn't ring me straight away... after I did though they got straight onto it and got it custom cleared pretty quickly.

It's good to see a few UK SVS owners - happy ones at that! And reassuraning to hear from someone from the UK that SVS are as good as the hype..

And yes - the first thing you think when you get it out the box is how big it is!! - I can't wait to get mine setup :)